“Nice hotel with excellent location”

The Horton Grand Hotel
Ranked #65 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Irvine, California
“Nice hotel with excellent location”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is a nice hotel with clean, quite rooms. We stayed there for a night. Location is excellent. It is in Gaslamp quarter and next to number 1 club in SD, Fluxx. Room was not big but was clean and had some historic looks. Overall hotel has some European style looks. Parking is tight. We opted for their valet parking for $25. They also have a breakfast-lunch restaurant in the hotel.
Price is also decent compare to other hotels in Gaslamp quarter.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
We are grateful for your recent review of our hotel. We are very pleased to hear you think our price value relationship is appropriate. The front of our hotel faces the popular night club Flux. Our largest rooms are our Grand Rooms, 600 square feet. We hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Husband & kids (12 & 3) & I were having a late breakfast at the Cheese Shop (typical American breakfast which was good & large enough that our kids won't bug other patrons) on our last morning in SD & decided to extend our stay one more night & moved hotels so we could stay here. The charm, history, location, & character of the hotels really drew us in. My 12 year old LOVED it more than the Hilton Bay Front where we were staying previously, they had her a free WiFi. We love the quaintness & totally dig good ghost stories so we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It is a very lively area & you have to take into consideration this is an old hotel so noise level may be higher than those huge 30 story hotels( windows are thinner) which are pricier & lack the history & character. Valet was fine during our stay($25/night, about average but as a heads up if you leave in your car for the day & get back after 7/8 pm, their valet may be full)reception seemed fine too although my husband dealt with that part. During check in they offered my husband a crib which was a play pen but worked just fine for our 3 year old to sleep in but he is a little shorter than most kids his age. My pillow smelled mildewy which bugged me so I didn't sleep w/ a pillow but all in all the bed was comfy as well as the room in general. I'm glad we had the opportunity to stay here & would do so again. My daughter & I took the Haunted San Diego ghost bus tour (purple bus) & we actually stooped at our hotel during your which was funny. Also went to Davis house across the street in the morning & again on the tour (at night when museum is already closed). Nice to have everything so close. Oh, air conditioner was a little slow to start but kicked in very well coffee machine made a bad cup of coffee & I don't like powder cream so skip coffee.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Smcolesrey
San Jose, CA
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I was attending a conference in beautiful San Diego, and this was one of the less expensive hotels. While I was hoping for the famed, haunted room, instead I was simply given an inside room that opens to the courtyard. These are definitely the premium rooms, as my friends had a street view room and it was noisy throughout the night.
The room was comfortable, well appointed & clean. My room criticism is with the bathroom. Pedestal sink does not provide much room for the average woman & her grooming supplies. There was a couple of shelves, but I just kept my things in the nightstand.
I was disappointed with the peeling paint over the shower. Simple thing to fix.
We also had breakfast in the Cheese Shop. Not many healthy options for breakfast, and service the second morning was very slow. Took an hour for breakfast!
Also disappointed that the old-time bar was not open Tuesday 5pm. Loved the look of the bar, but it sat empty & unattended.
But, overall, a nice hotel in a very central location. I would stay there again. Saved $100 compared to the major chain hotels! Says a lot for local charm.

Room Tip: No pool. No fitness center
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SVLinda
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
We are thankful for your review, and thank you for it and staying with us. We are very pleased and appreciate you plan to return. Some of our bathrooms are on the smaller size, and we try to compensate by having shelving available. Apologize for the condition of the ceiling and immediately reported this to maintenance to find and repair. We discussed your comments with our Cheese Shop management and were taken very seriously. They apologize for the excessive time spent at breakfast. Our Palace Bar is open weekends and some weekdays, and we are sorry we did not give you the opportunity to experience it.
Altadena, California
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The best aspect of our stay was the room, which was large, and well furnished. It included a small balcony. I asked for a quiet room away from elevator and ice machines, and got it. Located in a quiet block on Island near both Convention Center (my wife walked to the events there) and the Gaslamp District, it provided a quiet area for arrivals and departures in our car. So, we would return. However, the hotel is starting to show its age. Some of the furniture and the hanging closet doors showed need of attention. The restaurant is only for breakfast and lunch, although competing with the nearby nightlife probably makes in uneconomical for it to be open for dinner. The valet service is hit or miss. It took forever to get our car parked the first night; and we had to handle our own luggage. All in all, a pleasant stay, but the hotel just didn't provide that professional service to make it memorable. Finally, and this is one of my pet peeves with all hotels, the pillows were all microscopic in size, not even twin bed size, let alone king. Why can't hotels go back to normally sized pillows?

Room Tip: If want a "quaint" room, ask for one on courtyard. If want one especially quiet, as for up...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your time in completing a review of our hotel. We enjoyed reading you liked staying in one of our courtyard rooms with a balcony overlooking our open air courtyard. We are truly fortunate to be centrally located in the Gaslamp District. We apologize for the furniture condition and have discussed with our maintainance team. Likewise, we apologize for the arrival experience and have reviewed with our valet and bell staff team. We hope you have the opportunity to return to our hotel and find an enhanced experience.
Eugene, OR
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Lodging at the Horton Grand Hotel is a great way to enjoy San Diego. Quaint Victorian charm in the heart of the Gas Lamp district. The convention center is just a few blocks off. The hotel itself has an intriguing past. Wyatt Erp moved to San Diego and lived in the Horton Grand after the gun fight at OK Corral. Celebrities favored the venue including Babe Ruth, Jack Dempsy, and President Benjamin Harrison.

The Horton Grand is a veritable 19th century museum in its own right. Antique furnishings and artifacts are everywhere. Lovers of history will spend time roaming the halls.

If you stay at the Horton Grand be sure to visit the William Heath Davis House across the street. It is a nicely maintained tableaux of 19th century San Diego life. If the spirit world interests you, so will this venue. Paranormal investigators operate there frequently. Check out the guest book in which visitors document eerie experiences.

On a week long business trip I checked into my room in which I thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance and locale. At breakfast in the courtyard café the waiter spoke of strange occurrences in room 309. A bit of online study confirmed that guests do report anomalies in that very room so I changed my reservation to stay in it. The clerk at the registration desk said that guests report odd sounds and tampered objects. Staff announce themselves when entering the room. She asked me twice whether I was sure I wanted to sleep in 309. I did and came away with some puzzling experiences of my own. I experienced both visual and kinetic anomalies which leave me perplexed days after. I am studying my trip photographs and audio recordings for evidence related to these experiences.

On my next trip to San Diego I will surely return to the Horton Grand Hotel and room 309.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the Traxx night club which is noisy with happy sounds. Room 309 may deliver s...
5 Thank JonWhy
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My business partner arrived ahead of me, so he got the better balcony room on the 4th floor facing the courtyard, but though mine was smaller, it was cute and charming with antique furnishings (even the toilet) and a lovely fireplace. The large bed was very comfortable, but my room was on the 2nd floor, just above the dumpster, so when the city arrived to pick it up at 5:30am, it was loud and left a horrible stench for a brief time, and I heard creaking above me from someone walking on the old floorboards. And while I had blackout drapes, they were fixed on the door and window, so I couldn't pull them completely shut, leaving a large gap where morning sunlight seeped in. I'm sensitive to light and sound, so this made my night rather short. The surrounding neighborhood is the Gaslamp which is fun and quirky and can be loud, but I wasn't bothered. Best of all was the hotel was a short 5-minute walk to the Convention Center and Marriott Marquis for my event and about 1/2 the cost of staying at the Marriott. Breakfast was reasonable and tasty, especially in the courtyard.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a courtyard room on the top floor!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
We thank you for taking time to submit a review. Certainly appreciate you and your business partner staying with us. We sincerely apologize for disturbances to your sleep. Your review was discussed with our operations team for them to take some corrective actions. When business needs are back in San Diego, we hope you will consider staying with us again and find improvements in the room.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was a great hotel stay: the room was roomy and clean, the bathroom was well appointed, the water pressure was great, the bed was comfy, there was a fireplace and a balcony, tasty coffee in the room, and a nice, large flat screen TV (equipt with music stations). I really felt like I had everything I could need in my room. Upon checking in I received a call from the front clerk making sure all was to my liking...I thought that was a classy touch. Speaking of staff - that was the only downside: I was there for Comic-Con, one of San Diego's busiest weekends, and there was only one desk clerk on at all times. The woman didn't have a moment to fully answer a question, and it took longer than it should to check bags or collect them from bag check (the Horton was rather strict about check in times). Outside of that, I loved the victorian furnishings, felt my room was clean and fresh, and enjoyed drinking coffee on the balcony in the mornings. I would certainly stay here again..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We very much appreciate your submitting a review of our Gaslamp District hotel. Thankful you had decided to stay with us. We have passed along all your comments to our operations team for their review including front desk staffing levels during the very fun convention. We look forward to your return visit.