“Great room with a number of other misses.”

The Horton Grand Hotel
Ranked #65 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Altadena, California
“Great room with a number of other misses.”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The best aspect of our stay was the room, which was large, and well furnished. It included a small balcony. I asked for a quiet room away from elevator and ice machines, and got it. Located in a quiet block on Island near both Convention Center (my wife walked to the events there) and the Gaslamp District, it provided a quiet area for arrivals and departures in our car. So, we would return. However, the hotel is starting to show its age. Some of the furniture and the hanging closet doors showed need of attention. The restaurant is only for breakfast and lunch, although competing with the nearby nightlife probably makes in uneconomical for it to be open for dinner. The valet service is hit or miss. It took forever to get our car parked the first night; and we had to handle our own luggage. All in all, a pleasant stay, but the hotel just didn't provide that professional service to make it memorable. Finally, and this is one of my pet peeves with all hotels, the pillows were all microscopic in size, not even twin bed size, let alone king. Why can't hotels go back to normally sized pillows?

Room Tip: If want a "quaint" room, ask for one on courtyard. If want one especially quiet, as for up...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
We appreciate your time in completing a review of our hotel. We enjoyed reading you liked staying in one of our courtyard rooms with a balcony overlooking our open air courtyard. We are truly fortunate to be centrally located in the Gaslamp District. We apologize for the furniture condition and have discussed with our maintainance team. Likewise, we apologize for the arrival experience and have reviewed with our valet and bell staff team. We hope you have the opportunity to return to our hotel and find an enhanced experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Finnish first
Eugene, OR
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Lodging at the Horton Grand Hotel is a great way to enjoy San Diego. Quaint Victorian charm in the heart of the Gas Lamp district. The convention center is just a few blocks off. The hotel itself has an intriguing past. Wyatt Erp moved to San Diego and lived in the Horton Grand after the gun fight at OK Corral. Celebrities favored the venue including Babe Ruth, Jack Dempsy, and President Benjamin Harrison.

The Horton Grand is a veritable 19th century museum in its own right. Antique furnishings and artifacts are everywhere. Lovers of history will spend time roaming the halls.

If you stay at the Horton Grand be sure to visit the William Heath Davis House across the street. It is a nicely maintained tableaux of 19th century San Diego life. If the spirit world interests you, so will this venue. Paranormal investigators operate there frequently. Check out the guest book in which visitors document eerie experiences.

On a week long business trip I checked into my room in which I thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance and locale. At breakfast in the courtyard café the waiter spoke of strange occurrences in room 309. A bit of online study confirmed that guests do report anomalies in that very room so I changed my reservation to stay in it. The clerk at the registration desk said that guests report odd sounds and tampered objects. Staff announce themselves when entering the room. She asked me twice whether I was sure I wanted to sleep in 309. I did and came away with some puzzling experiences of my own. I experienced both visual and kinetic anomalies which leave me perplexed days after. I am studying my trip photographs and audio recordings for evidence related to these experiences.

On my next trip to San Diego I will surely return to the Horton Grand Hotel and room 309.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the Traxx night club which is noisy with happy sounds. Room 309 may deliver s...
5 Thank JonWhy
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My business partner arrived ahead of me, so he got the better balcony room on the 4th floor facing the courtyard, but though mine was smaller, it was cute and charming with antique furnishings (even the toilet) and a lovely fireplace. The large bed was very comfortable, but my room was on the 2nd floor, just above the dumpster, so when the city arrived to pick it up at 5:30am, it was loud and left a horrible stench for a brief time, and I heard creaking above me from someone walking on the old floorboards. And while I had blackout drapes, they were fixed on the door and window, so I couldn't pull them completely shut, leaving a large gap where morning sunlight seeped in. I'm sensitive to light and sound, so this made my night rather short. The surrounding neighborhood is the Gaslamp which is fun and quirky and can be loud, but I wasn't bothered. Best of all was the hotel was a short 5-minute walk to the Convention Center and Marriott Marquis for my event and about 1/2 the cost of staying at the Marriott. Breakfast was reasonable and tasty, especially in the courtyard.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a courtyard room on the top floor!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
We thank you for taking time to submit a review. Certainly appreciate you and your business partner staying with us. We sincerely apologize for disturbances to your sleep. Your review was discussed with our operations team for them to take some corrective actions. When business needs are back in San Diego, we hope you will consider staying with us again and find improvements in the room.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was a great hotel stay: the room was roomy and clean, the bathroom was well appointed, the water pressure was great, the bed was comfy, there was a fireplace and a balcony, tasty coffee in the room, and a nice, large flat screen TV (equipt with music stations). I really felt like I had everything I could need in my room. Upon checking in I received a call from the front clerk making sure all was to my liking...I thought that was a classy touch. Speaking of staff - that was the only downside: I was there for Comic-Con, one of San Diego's busiest weekends, and there was only one desk clerk on at all times. The woman didn't have a moment to fully answer a question, and it took longer than it should to check bags or collect them from bag check (the Horton was rather strict about check in times). Outside of that, I loved the victorian furnishings, felt my room was clean and fresh, and enjoyed drinking coffee on the balcony in the mornings. I would certainly stay here again..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We very much appreciate your submitting a review of our Gaslamp District hotel. Thankful you had decided to stay with us. We have passed along all your comments to our operations team for their review including front desk staffing levels during the very fun convention. We look forward to your return visit.
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel during Comic Con so I'm not sure what the prices are like during the rest of the year - but the remainder of our experience was pretty nice. The check in process was easy - we arrived late at night and there was no wait. The room was small but comfy. The strangest part was the shower...I'm 5'6 and had to duck to get under the shower head. The bed was comfy and there was free wi-fi. The decor was interesting. The location of the hotel was incredible - lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance. Plus the convention center was only blocks away.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Lovetoroadtrip82
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I loved this hotel... It was charming, in a great location (2 blocks from the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter and 4 blocks from the Seaport Village). The room was really clean and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was a trip in that it had an old fashion chain toilet, the best!. I read that the traffic noise came through to the rooms, I did not have this problem in the room I was in- 305. The most I heard were the bigger trucks that passed by so I guess it is where you face. The hotel is only 4 stories so noise is somewhat of a given. But the price per night was reasonable as was the nightly valet service ($25). This is great since it is stumbling distance to all the bars, restaurants and shopping the Gaslamp has to offer. The hotel bar closes at 10pm for those of you who want an early night in with a nightcap.... They had a beautiful atrium that would be perfect to enjoy a morning coffee or read the paper. Overall I'd recommend this hotel, enjoy your San Diego stay here.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
We greatly appreciate all your observations and comments. Thanks very much for staying with us. Hope you have a chance to return so that we may have the opportunity to accommodate you again. We try to provide unique experiences.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

The Horton Grand is a cool step back into time, though updated for today's traveler. It has great atmosphere, lots of history, including fireplaces in the rooms, a 'water closet-style' toilet, and antique furniture. The room was huge, with soaring ceilings, iron/board in room, and access to a great breakfast/lunch restaurant on site. A perfect choice for events at the Convention Center, ball games at Petco Park, or just a weekend away!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business