“Great Victorian Adventure”

The Horton Grand Hotel
Ranked #68 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This hotel is a lovely, Victorian inspired, fun getaway!! The atrium lobby is a welcoming first impression - full of light and comfortable, overstuffed furniture! Coffee is available in the room and the Cheese Shop breakfast is also perfect for a quick beginning to the day. The hotel is in a perfect location for exploring the GasLamp District (which is full of interesting shops and great restaurants!) with a HOHO Trolley stop around the corner! While the hotel is on a quiet street, there is a club across the street with its entrance around the corner - long line at night but we sat in the Palace Bar and never heard any noise from those waiting on line. Area seemed very safe. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Our room was small but delightful! We can't wait to return! [If you stay here, you MUST ride the left elevator to the 3rd and 4th floors for an interesting view!!]

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FotoPeg
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Greetings and thank you very much for writing a review of our hotel. We appreciate very much your thoughts about our hotel and area. Hope we have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Horton Grand Hotel

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I enjoyed my stay and found the staff very nice. I checked in VERY late and Ken gave me a room with a better view that had just been canceled by someone else. Of course you should love the older/smaller room hotels. I enjoy all the period furniture. The courtyard view is amazing! The location is great because it's so close to everything but not right in the middle of it. My only negative was that parking is only valet. When I thought I had left something in my car it was a bit of a disruption. There is a public-surface parking lot two blocks down that I could have used. Oh, I would have liked a very small refrigerator but that's a reminent of staying in bland "suite" hotels. If I go back to SD I would stay there again. Paula and the car valet were nice too on the morning I checked out.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper courtyard side room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed at this lovely Victorian hotel in mid-Gaslamp district, 4 blocks from the convention center. Absolutely everything was in walking distance. The lovely, quiet hotel was absolutely stunning and, though, older, very modern updates keeping the very high ceiling and even an updated 'water closet'! Beds were terrific, rates great (I however, got convention rates). Personnel was more than cheerful, helpful, even telling me where I could get a quickie massage, right around the corner and absolutely the BEST sushui in San Diego, again, right around the corner. The mid-town mall left a little to be desired but it was full of "mall" stores and a hangout for teens. Seaport Village was not far, tons of resturants, even without the chains. Lovely little shops though I did not purchase much. Quite near the airport - maybe 10 minutes from car rental to Gaslamp, even in traffic. But, be sure to go see Old Town, La Jolla, Point Loma and Coronado...La Jolla being the farthest at about 10 miles! I could live here!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at the Horton for a business trip. The hotel was only 3 blocks from the convention center and about $70 cheaper per night than the Marriott at the convention center. I'm very glad I made the choice. The Victorian theme is quaint and pleasant...not cheesy or overdone. I stayed on the 4th floor and from what I was told, the 3rd and 4th floors have high ceilings. What a great feature! The room size was 'good enough', but the high ceiling made it feel so much more spacious. I actually liked walking up the central staircase more than taking the elevator. You also can't beat the 2 block walk to 5th ave in the heart of the Gaslamp District. The only negative was the shower head -- it was place very low on the wall. The front desk said they are in the process of raising them, so I trust they'll have that changed. Thanks for a great stay, Horton!

Room Tip: Try to get a 3rd or 4th floor room with the high ceilings.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike S
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at Horton Grand for six nights and it was a delightful experience.

The room was big enough to accomodate all my bags and all the stuff I bought at amazon and the surroundings stores. My room's decoration was much fancier than I thought previously when I saw pictures of the accommodations. The mattress? Also great!

As I've been to San Diego for business purposes, I felt pleased to have such a cozy, neat, clean and comfortable place to stay in the end of the day. Horton Grand not only is near San Diego conversion center, but it's also close to Gaslamp Quarter, a region with diverse nightlife options and very good restaurants.
In fact, Horton Grand is within a walking distance from a lot of places you want to visit while in SD like Seaport Village, Petco Park, etc...

All staff were kind, friendly and helpful, especially Paula, from the frontdesk, who helped me a lot.

I definitely recommend Horton Grand!!

1  Thank Pedrim
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Pedrim, we very much appreciate your writing and submitting a review of our hotel. Very happy your experience in our hotel and surrounding area was delightful. Being in the Gaslamp District we are very fortunate to be within walking distance to all the places you mentioned. Thank you for special mention of service at the front desk and will be sure to share with her. Hope your next visit will bring you back to the Horton Grand.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I loved this hotel because of the old fashioned and fancy feel. Friendly staff and good restaurant attached at which I had two excellent breakfasts (I wasn't there for any other meals). The furnishings seem to be genuine antiques. It is a three block walk to the Convention Center, and right near lots of things to do in the "gaslight" district, so it is a great alternative to the other more typical and expensive hotels in the area.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

After spending 4 nights at the Horton Grand during busy conference days I found the unique character of this hotel and the incredibly friendly staff refreshing and soothing. I loved the old style main/key boxes at the front desk where I could store my key when I went for a run. I always felt well rested, and the rooms were clean and comfortable. However, what really sticks out in my mind was the staff. Everyone was friendly and helpful, the kind of people i could have a conversation with and not even realize that time had passed. Additionally the location was great! It was far enough away from the convention center that I felt I could relax, it was far enough from Petco park that the noise wasn't overwhelming, but close enough to everything to be a comfortable stroll in the morning to get where you needed to go, or enjoy whatever night life you felt up for in the center of downtown. It could get noisy at night due to the location in downtown, close to clubs, but not overwhelmingly loud, but other than a little noise, I thought that the Horton Grand was a class act!