“Nice hotel, great staff”

The Horton Grand Hotel
Ranked #65 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
City
“Nice hotel, great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Enjoyed my stay. Hotel staff was extremely pleasant, and helpful.
2 things that should be changed: since hotel doesn't have 24hr room service, or even a 24hr store/eatary, rooms should contain microfridges. No place to store food, and unable to purchase food onsite--not to efficient.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are the best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Gee N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed in this hotel during a conference which took place at the Convention Center.
What I enjoyed the most:
- located (1) at the heart of Gas Lamp quarter but (2) in a quiet place (3) within short walking distance to the Convention Center and (4) harbor which is a great place for a run. In my view it would be difficult to beat this.
- very beautiful and atmospheric building and interior. All my friends (not only me) who came to visit where impressed.
- very clean room with all things I needed. Easy to control temperature. Very comfortable mattress. I asked for a quiet room and it was quiet.
- the staff is very polite and responsive. Conversation was nice and informative. They understood and appreciated all my or my friend's needs and problems and reacted adequately to help us. One example: I missed my delivery which had been delivered when I was already in London. The re-shipment was organized by the staff at the optimal lowest but reliable cost.
- plenty placed to eat nicely (just to mention fresh catch tuna). Just 5 min walk.

My general feeling: comfort, convenience, reliability and confidence. The latter two are not so often in my experience.
I'll not waste time to look for another hotel when I'm back to San Diego next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank shuya2012
Hemet
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Looking for a special place to celebrate a special birthday, we searched through the various GasLamp District hotels, in San Diego, Ca. I kept coming back to the Horton Grand Hotel, reading every review, and becoming more and more convinced that this was the place for that special week-end! I love being surprised...and the service, ambiance, decor, superb eye for detail in every room, and overall "feel" of this grand lady was an overwhelming surprise. We loved the fireplace and it certainly added a romantic touch to our stay. I can't imagine anything finer and more elegant, yet with all of the southern charm and personal service provided. I'll always return here, and have just reserved 3 more rooms for March (yes, I'm running in the SD Half-Marathon).
Diana Rogers

Room Tip: courtyard facing room with it's own privte balcony...a sure winner!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I really enjoyed my brief three-night stay at the Horton Grand Hotel recently while attending a professional conference at San Diego. The hotel staff Paula, Shannon and Greg are nice, friendly and helpful, making me feel like staying at home. The architecture and decoration of the hotel, such as the hall way, the stairs and the atrium, are simply marvelous and elegant. The portraits on the wall, the wall papers, and even the water tank in the toilet, all consistently present a deposited wealth of the graceful past. Last but not least, the hotel location is great. It is within minutes walk to the Convention Center, and it is surrounded by plenty of fine stores and restaurants. In many ways the hotel reminds me the best part of city life in Europe... I will stay this hotel again if I have another chance to visit San Diego.

Room Tip: If you stay in rooms 220+,320+,420+, you will have a chance to see the gorgeous atrium and wooden st...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank David L
Lompoc, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

We spent 3 lovely days in the Horton Grand and it was everything we hoped it would be. Its long and unusual history adds to its charm so be sure to read about it on their website. The rooms have been somewhat modernized--flat-screen TVs, new bathroom fixtures, king beds--but still maintain their late 19th Century charm.
If you are visiting San Diego for a weekend or will be attending a conference at the nearby Convention Center, this is a wonderful alternative to the modern, high-rise chain hotels in the area. It is ideally located on a quiet street in San Diego's very popular Gaslamp district. Lots and lots of restaurants and shops are within easy walking distance.
We'll be back!

Room Tip: Valet parking is available for $25/day. This seems like a lot but is less than the local public park...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vista, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I chose the Horton Grand Hotel for a 5-day Navy Reunion because of its charm and location. After a few issues with our bookings, the reunion was great. The staff is fantastic ~ from Justin, Paula, and Greg who are so friendly and accommodating, to Sandy and her staff at the Cheese Shop, to the housekeeping staff who were pleasant, helpful, and professional. The rooms are a good size and I love all the décor in the rooms and throughout the hotel. Great location – convenient to all of downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony upon checking in.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We thank you for taking your time to submit a review of our hotel. We are very pleased to learn of your thoughts for several of our staff members, and have passed that along to all of them. They were very happy to hear your thoughts. Moreover, we are pleased that the initial prior to arrival issues were resolved to your satisfaction. We very much appreciate your bringing the special reunion to our hotel, and for our working relationship.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Came to San Diego for a conference and was hoping to save some money on a hotel. The Horton Grand was $50 a night less than the conference hotels, so I was expecting a sub-par experience. I was pleasantly surprised with one of the most unique and fun hotel experiences I have ever had. While the lady at the front desk was not overly friendly, the hotel itself is a real treat, with its Gaslamp Victorian architecture and perfect central location. The Horton Grand Hotel will be my choice for any future visits to San Diego!

• Stayed November 2012
HortonGrandTeam, Public Relations Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We appreciate your taking your time to complete a review of our hotel. Thank you for staying with us. We are thrilled we will be your first choice for your next San Diego visit. Glad you were pleasantly surprised. We apologize for the front desk service and have constructively reviewed you comments with our staff. We look forward to your return visit.