“classic grand dame of hotels”

The Horton Grand Hotel
Ranked #70 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Right in the heart of the gaslamp district, this grande dame of hotels has been carefully restored and is a delightful place to stay. The staff could not have been more friendly and efficient and the hotel is a delight of courtyards and oak balustrades. The balcony rooms are a joy but are the only rooms with windows that open. For fresh air folk this is a decided minus in any hotel and one the hotel could well fix. You should expect a silent night - the hotel is in the heart of the Gaslamp District which stays awake until 2 a.m. You should also not expect great parking - you are in the heart of the city but you can expect shopping and restaurants and a waterfront walk right from the hotel doorstep, efficient and pleasant staff and courteous service. Rooms all have fake fireplaces and the city views from the 4th floor balconies are delightful.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed January 19, 2008

We recently stayed at this hotel whilst attending the Winter Fancy Food Show. I was dubious after reading all of the bad reviews on this website but I am glad that I did not listen.

This hotel was fabulous, the staff were friendly and quirky, ok so they dont all dress in the same uniforms as they would at the hilton but how dull is that anyway.

My room was beautiful and very clean and the maid was fabulous, with adding a very nice touch to my room, by laying out my dresses so they did not crease or just generally tidying up after me...

This really was a gem in a good location and with fabulous rooms. I had no problem with noise, it is a naval town so on weekends the recruits do let their hair down and the pubs would be busy, but no issue of noise near the hotel.

I am not sure what people expect when they book into this hotel, you can clearly see from the hotel website that its not a dull hilton or hyatt.

I recommend this little hotel and lets face it some people are just very fussy, oh and we had no problem with valet parking at all..

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Bexleo
Reviewed January 1, 2008

THis was the worst experience of my life. I have stayed at many hotels and also booked through hotwire before and this was the WORST experience EVER! After this night I will no longer EVER book through HOTWIRE and NEVER EVER stay at the Horton Grand Hotel. The evening started at 6:30 when we arrived to check in to the hotel and found that the Valet lot, the ONLY lot was FULL. Not only do the valet people not care, the hotel staff doesn't care and neither does HOTWIRE. Just to let all travelers know-hotwire and this hotel made it clear to me that they DO NOT have to guarantee you ANYWHERE to park your car. They only guarantee you a room to stay in. With this said we got a map of all downtown parking in the area and were told that you're on your own, and by the way, the lots close at 2am so after that your are just screwed and if you get towed oh well that's your problem. SO after wasting 2 hours to find parking about 10 blocks away I was pretty annoyed. They rooms are average-motel quality and the customer service stinks. I was telling my father about my experience and found out that he had a similar one there in October 2000, on his honeymoon night-no parking and they were told too bad it's your problem. The only thing good about the Horton Grand is it's location. Good location. The best part was packing my bags and leaving at 2am so my car didn't get towed. If there was a rating less than terrible that would be my score.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Nobles1
Reviewed December 3, 2007

Great location, I liked the decor, style and feel of the place. Kind of old fashioned...I guess victorian-type rugs and fixtures. Pull Chain toilets. In room gas fire place. I am not sure the other reviews complaining of noise are quite fair - this is in a great location in the Gaslamp which seems to be a late night area and some some steet noise is to be expected. I slept fine most of the time. I think people want all the conveniece and cachet of being in a club district, but they want to shut it down with their own light switch. Those people should stay somewhere else. The suburbs maybe...oh..and some of the folks I was with suggested there was a ghost about...which is all to the good I think. The only thing I would change is to have windows that open.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2007

I came down to San Diego to visit my brother who's in the Navy stationed there, and our mom booked this hotel for us. The guy who works the front desk at night is the rudest, meanest, grumpiest person I have ever had to deal with. We spoke with the hotel manager about the problems he gave us, and he said he would take care of it. He also said he has had many complaints about this front desk worker. The next 2 nights, the guy (JOHN) was even ruder to us! It made my stay thee HORRIBLE and I will never recommend this hotel to ANYONE. No one deserves to be treated how we were. Customer Service and just plain being nice to the guests should be #1 priority at a ($200 + per night ) hotel. It gave me a stomache ache. Don't stay here, there are far to many amazing hotels in the Gaslamp district that treat their guests kindly!

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank MLElove
Reviewed October 7, 2007

The Horton Grand Hotel, sits in the middle of a great area. Easy access to a whole host of different dining choices as well as bars and night clubs.

Beyond its location the Horton lacks in a number of areas. The front desk, while friendly most of the time, can be slightly rude. One desk clerk made a comment to me about another guest, and while I agreed with his sentiments I thought it was more than a little unprofessional.

The rooms vary in size and decoration. My room was comfortable despite cracking paint and water stains on the bathroom walls. My co-workers room was filled with plastic wicker furniture and a lamp that made the room a horrid shade of pink when lit. The rooms were clean in appearance though I found used silverware outside my door on two days of my stay (not left by myself)

The bell staff at the Horton worked hard. They were always kind and did the best they could given the guest volume. I had to wait 15 minutes to get my car, that issue I fault management for and not the staff, who were obviously doing the best they could.

The final thing that is simply bizarre has to do with the elevators. In addition to the jerky and unnerving stopping and starting, the hotel created extremely odd window scenes for your "enjoyment" when going up to the rooms.

Overall I would not choose to stay at the Grand Horton again. That being said if you were in a bind it is certainly not the worst property to bed down in.

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank Mlogs
Reviewed August 26, 2007

The hotel is very convenient for the Gaslamp Quarter and the convention center. The prices aren't too bad either - although far from the cheapest available.
However, the hotel is fairly tired in general and my room was worn and shabby in many ways; it all felt rather down at heel. Like another guest I also had a showerhead at the 5 feet mark, which is just infuriating. In addition the 'quaint period Victorian decor' is rather overpowering. I think the Frommers guide refers to it as "brothel"-inspired and they're not wrong.
Finally, the hotel has a wireless internet service (at an extra $10 a day...) that wouldn't work in conjunction with my corporate VPN. The answer - customer service can help you reconfigure your IP (who on earth should have to do that?!) except that they're only available by email! Not acceptable in the 21st century.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business