Holiday Inn Express San Diego Sea World - Beach Area
Fairmont.com
$255
$223
  • Pool
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$289
$260
$151
  • Breakfast included
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$187
$178
  • Beachfront
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$138
$126
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$323
  • Pool
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$219
  • Pool
All reviewssea worldmission bay drivefront deskpancake machinesmall roombreakfast roomfree breakfastyogurtthe hotel is cleanstayed here for nightsnight stayold townminute driveseaworldrubiosparkinghie
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have stayed at just about all the Holiday Inn Express locations in San Diego and the surrounding area and this one is near the top when it comes to location and cleanliness. Surprisingly quiet for where it is located, we enjoyed a great view of the golf course across the street. When we arrived, the staff was very helpful and also upgraded us to a room with a sitting room. The floor we were located on was quiet, but I attribute that to being the top floor, the AC in the room was quick and quiet when we wanted to change the temperature in the room. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank johnnywhitby
Reviewed January 23, 2013

After staying here to watch BYU dominate SDSU in the Fiesta Bowl, I looked up the hotel on Google Maps to look at the place I had stayed on Streetview. Even though the picture was from only a year earlier, back when it was a Comfort Inn, I could see that the hotel has improved drastically. It was a very nice modern hotel when I stayed there, unlike what you'll find on Streetview. Inside, the hotel is just as nice with perfectly comfortable rooms with all the things needed. The breakfast was very nice, especially since it was free. The only complaints I have are extremely minor; the elevator was unusually slow and the pool was one of the smallest I've ever seen. Also, parking in the inner area can be difficult because it is so tight.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kangrui
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Ok after going through a huge confusion over which Holiday Inn Express-San Diego Sea World was our reservation at (yes there are two of them with this exact name), when we finally got here, the guy at the front desk couldn't find us in his system (because we made the reservation using a travel website).. We had already lost a night here (ended up staying at the other Holiday Inn Express Sea World & paying there for 1 night impromptu), and when asked for an upgrade - didn't get one.. When asked for extra Rewards points, they couldnt find our Priority club member No. and were asked to speak to someone else in the upper mgmt! After that frustration finally got a room as small as the master bathroom in our house- literally! With one king bed & a desk, there isn't enough space in the room to even place two suitcases, without hopping over them to walk around! We are definitely not staying here for 5 nights as planned..

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Meggyz
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego Sea World - Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Meggyz,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the problems you experienced at check in and for falling short of your expectations. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 30, 2012

This place has obviously come under quite a bit of renovations lately. The outside of the hotel looks really nice, and as much as the rooms were small and cute - they were absolutely clean and new looking.

Some may choose to give this a bad rating based on the size I guess, but for 50-60$ a night this place is a gold mine.

I wouldn't advise larger(long) vehicles to try and stay here as the parking lot is kind of small.

I've met like 5 people in the building and they all seem pretty nice and polite - there was even a nice young lady that held the door for quite a long time for me while I took my time getting in. As much as I've spent a lot of time in very nice establishments around the world - I've spent a lot of time around the slums and poorest places in America and the world - and this place is definately no slumhouse. It definately doesn't make me feel unsafe, and there seemed to be a few families staying here enjoying themselves too.

As far as ameneties the bathroom is small - but once again very clean and newesh looking - hot water was definately not an issue or clean towels for that matter.
Nice flat screen TV with quite a few channels, mini bar and microwave(more then many hotels give you for much more).....

The pool is very small I'll add. It would be perfect for a couple of kids to be able to play in and be watched from the room that faces it - other then that though i wouldn't suggest planning a big party in it. However like I said it looked like a great place to be able to watch your kids enjoying themselves.

The bed was soft and had obviously been changed. Nice desk with internet access and computer plug-in behind the lamp which is how it is supposed to be.

Pretty much the only reason I didn't give it 5 marks is because of the small parking area, at the same time like I said that kind of makes things feel safer being close to the entrances like that.
The staff were extremely pleasent and asked us to please call them for any thing we needed, including directions or information about the area - Excellent tourist hosts.

Room Tip: I would definately choose one facing the carpark on the evens side of the building myself, however it all looks nice and cozey from any angle from my speculation.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DylanKnell
Reviewed November 15, 2012

When I think of hotels in the San Diego area, I usually have low expectations. What I mean is that hotel rooms tend to be fairly small due to expensive real estate, and they are often on very busy/loud roads. And I am always on the lookout for a good value in a location that's convenient for my business meetings. Therefore my hotel searches always involve a lot of compromises.

Having said all that, I had a good stay at this hotel. There were a few negatives: the TV didn't receive any channels, and the ground floor of the hotel had a VERY strong odor of cigarette smoke. Fortunately I had an upstairs room and no smoky odor. As to the TV, I was out all evening and didn't even turn it on until I was starting to pack the next morning, so it wasn't a big deal. The staff seemed concerned when I reported it. My room was small but not too cramped.

The phrase "beach area" in the name of this hotel is kind of misleading. If you want to visit Pacific Beach, plan on a 10 to 15 minute ride in traffic. I enjoyed a brief visit there around sunset, just before I had to get ready for a dinner meeting.

The ultimate question for me is always, would I return? At this hotel the answer is a qualified yes because I had a clean room and the hotel's location was convenient for my schedule.

Room Tip: I think there would be less traffic noise from the rooms on the back side of the hotel (not facing Mission Bay Drive).
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business