“Great value”

Motel 6 San Diego - Southbay
Ranked #206 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 14, 2012

After reading some of the reviews I was concerned about my reservation at this hotel, but obviously people expect the Ritz for $30 a night. For the price we couldn't fault the hotel, yes there are some things that can be updated, but it's $30!!
If we were on a budget we would stay again, very handy location.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emma A

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Nice and cheap hotel, clean with a friendly staff.
Room was big, comfortable bed, and not too noisy even if next by the freeway.
Trolley station is 15 minutes walk away, same for the pharmacy / Subway restaurant / ...

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank 85iben
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stay in this hotel probably 8 - 12 nights per month. In a year, I probably stay there more than any other person. For the money, it is just fine. No hotel is going to be perfect and this place is no exception. Anytime I've had a problem (and the few that I've had have all been minor), the hotel manager has tried to make it right. I've read some of the bad reviews associated with this place. Honestly, I think it speaks more about the writers than this hotel. It sounds to me like they have Four Seasons expectations with a Days Inn wallet. YOU are not a big shot if you're staying at the Days Inn. Get over yourself. I find it hard to believe that this hotel would not try to make right any alleged wrongs.

The San Diego area has hundreds of hotels to choose from. You can pay less for a room and you can pay a heck of a lot more, especially the closer you get to downtown. I choose this place primarily because of the rates and location. It is right off of I-5 and you also have easy access to Coronado from the south. Choices of hotel in that particular area are limited but this is certainly one of the better ones.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jeffrey J
Reviewed April 13, 2012

My boyfriend checked in. I was his guest. They were aware of that. First they gave us a room that was not cleaned.Wastebasket had a condom wrapper, bathroom trash was full with a used condom sitting on top of the trash. They gave us another room. My boyfriend left said he might be back later after his welding class. I left for a little while, figured I go buy a few things I needed at the grocery store. When I came back I opened the door, immediately I knew someone had been in my room because it smelled like marijuana. Afraid and extremely upset I left. I called from a different location and told the Days Inn what had happened. I asked them to check their cameras to see who was in my room. I told them I didn't even want to return but that I would contact them later to find out what happened. Later I decided to go to the front desk personally.I mentioned I was the one who called earlier and that the room was in my boyfriends name. The night clerk checked the computer and told me the room is under a different name. I couldn't believe it. This place apparently checked in another person and gave them a key as well even though it was the room my boyfriend and I were already occupying. They wouldn't even give me another room. The night clerk said if I wanted I could pay for another room but he couldn't give me a refund and that I had to wait until the morning when management was in to try to have this problem solved because they had no record of my boyfriend ever checking in.Not to mention they didn't give my boyfriend a receipt when he checked in. The next day my boyfriend went there personally, told them what happened and at that time also requested a receipt, which they did give him. Managements response to their screw up was your girlfriend wasn't even the registered guest on file and our company policy doesn't allow us to issue a refund. They didn't even give us a nights stay free of charge which would have been the very least they could have done. We were cheated of a nights stay and our money. This place prefers drug users as guests is my assumption. I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureu. I hope this helps anyone questioning whether they should stay there. Thanks

Room Tip: Make sure to inspect the room as soon as you go in and mention any problems immediately. Also if the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maria B
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We stayed her again in September 2011 for five nights and I'll recommend it again. I don't work for this motel or receive any commission for giving them good reviews but I really don't understand why all of the bad reviews of this place. As motels go I think it is really good and I am quite picky.

The motel was quite busy this time. The parking lot was full as was the motel but it was not noisy at night. We didn't bother to reserve this time because we were on a driving holiday and weren't sure exactly when we'd get to SD. We basically rolled in after dark and got the last room available, ground floor right in front of the pool. Our coffee pot was broken and the fridge didn't work when we arrived. I went to the evening desk clerk and told him. He gave me a new coffee pot right then and there and someone came and fixed the fridge promptly the next morning. The microwave worked fine... we warmed up our continental breakfast from the lobby in it. The orange juice and apple juice are a nice additional thing that this place give with their 'lobby' breakfast. Many places just have pan dulce or bagel and coffee.

The room was clean again, linens in good condition and clean and the room had no bugs. I've stayed in four different king size bed rooms here now and they have all been the same, spacious with a love seat and coffee table at the entrance, bed beyond and a large closet.

The motel for sure isn't downtown but if you have a vehicle old town, Coronado (my favorite beach) and other SD attractions are all within easy driving range. It is also convenient for entering or arriving from Mexico whether through one of the southern California border crossings or if using I-8 to or from Arizona.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nan N
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We've stayed here three times now, November 2010, April 2011 and June 2011. The location is really convenient for us, close to the freeway to downtown or the beach towns to the north and also close to the border. The rooms are clean and have king size beds which is nice and also a fridge and a coffee maker which is great for cold beverages, coffee and tea. The management is friendly and the hotel is very quiet even though it is just a bit off the freeway. Good value and every bit as convenient as the down town hotel we stayed in also last April.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nan N
Reviewed July 30, 2011

The check in was something out of the stone age. Room smells like urine and lysol. Bathroom still had hair in the shower, dead ants on the wall and no way to stop the bathtub if anyone is brave enough to sit in that DISGUSTING tub. We were supposed to be here four days, checked out after one night. The "hot" breakfast they speak of is bread that you can toast.

• Stayed: July 2011
#12 of 22 in Chula Vista
Harvey's Motel
Harvey's Motel
#205 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Motel 6 San Diego - Southbay? Share your experiences!