“i booked this thru travelocity...what a joke”

Motel 6 San Diego - Southbay
Ranked #206 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 19, 2011

i checked in........everyttthing paid for......i work early in the morning, at 8pm.....i get endless calls from the office. Finally i answer it...office tells me travelocity says i haven/t paid.

needless to say....i was pissed. I go down to the office and show them my reciepts and id AND CC. They tell me i need to get ahold of travelocity.

I called them 3 times, with no answers keep saying they will call me back.

The next day i email travelocity, and they send me an email saying they have nothing documented that there was ever a problem with my booking.

I'm not sure which company started this, but everything about the booking has been a lie from travelocity. including amenities and the star level of the hotel.

I personally will never book with travelocity, or days inn ever again

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed June 19, 2010

Staying at this hotel right now.

I have actually joined trip advisor to write this review.

If i could give quality of sleep, and location negative ratings, i would. seriously, and i am a very reasonable person.

I am travelling with my long term girlfriend, and we have been getting around california via public transport, as we cannot rent a car. This place is just over THIRTEEN miles out of downtown san diego. It is in one of the roughest areas; is 100yards from the freeway, and WORST OF ALL, the fire station is next door. That means every time a fire engine is deployed you get to hear it, which has been around 5 times a day since we came yesterday. It takes an hour to get in via a walk, then blue line MTS (san diego trolley train), and it is cheap to get in, but trains are horribly crowded.

Nearby, well, nothing. There are lots of petrol stations, and a dennys, a taco bell, and a pizza place accross the road, which is great, i might add. Portions are huge, and the salad we got was huge and very fresh.

The area is what you would be describing as the ghetto of san diego. The hotel has barbed wire around the back, and security cameras at the front, so that maybe hints at how it feels for security.

In its favour, rooms are on the larger side, the beds are huge, although ours had an obvious orange stain on the sheets, like crisps had been smothered in, which we weren't best pleased with. The aircon is quiet, and cool, there is a fridge, microwave, tv with good channels, clock with alarm, and a decent shower. High speed wifi is also free. Reception is manned 24hours.

We hung out at the pool today for 3 hours and neither went in after seeing the water, it looks nice from a distance, but i'm guessing it hadn't been cleaned in a long while. This probably won't affect you if you stay here, as i'm sure they're cleaned periodically. It is also very off putting that to stay in the sunshine when at the poolside, you are partially exposed to the traffic (people can see you), and it is noisy (the traffic i mean), which is not nice at all.

The beach is over three miles down the street we are 1 away from, the concierge told us, and he said it is not a nice beach, but there is a harbour with boats and a couple of restaurants, so don't go there for relaxation/surfing/bike hire. We have yet to check it out.

TO SUMMARISE:
if you are here to see san diego, not mexico, do NOT stay here. You will struggle to sleep and take an hour each way to get in to san diego. You also have a busy freeway to contend with right on your doorstep, on top of the fact that you are staying in a rough part of town. The hotel staff are friendly enough and the room is adequate in size/features, but you will not enjoy your stay.

If you are using it for mexico hopping its ideal. Less than 5 miles from the border from where we are.

I hope this can help some of you fellow travellers. We wish we had extended our stay at huntington beach ("surf city" - amazing place never previously visited) instead of coming here to stay here.

All the best.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I enjoyed my stay at the Days Inn.. The room was very large.. the Bed was a King and very comfortable.. The hotel was minutes away from the beach and had a very good pizza place and small store across the street.. Plus the hotel was very easy to get to on/off the highway. The pool was clean and inviting. The free continental breakfast was great to start the day.. Only minutes to San Diego and other areas of interest.. I would stay here again. Also there is a Drive-in movie theater 100 feet from the hotel.. Lots of fun.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mcat1
Reviewed June 3, 2009

my friend and I stayed here going to and coming out of Mexico; this isn't a glitzy part of SD but we wanted to be close to the border; you can take a local bus easily to the border from here. The staff were the highlight; Muki the owner and Hector the manager were so very helpful and professional, we were very impressed. And this was one of the best nightly rates we found in CA. Imperial Beach close by is one of SD's best kept secrets; very nice; lovely pier. We'd stay here again. And the pizza joint across the street has great cheap pizza.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2009

This hotel was chosen by someone else. We needed one near to Imperial Beach, and the one we had stayed at before was no longer there. After this was mentioned to me I checked, as always, on Trip Advisor and I was not happy. But, to be fair, the place isn't as bad as some of these reviews make it sound. It was clean, and quiet, and the breakfast wasn't great but was certainly more than some slices of stale bread or whatever a previous review said...it was comparable to other continental affairs in chain motels - hot and cold cereals, toast, English muffins, Danish pastry, juices and tea and coffee, maybe fruit (I don't recall as I don't take the fruit). Although it was too chilly to use the pool it looked well-kept and clean. The landscaping, what there is of it, was neat, trim and attractive - flowers, palms, manicured lawn.

The negatives can be summed up as such:

- Neighbourhood isn't great. Not really down, but a little dicey looking here and there. It wasn't enough to scare me, however...I didn't intend to go wandering.

-Service is spotty. I needed a phone book for a local number and there was no book in the room, so I went downstairs and asked. I was told the book might be by the t.v., not the phone; the desk clerk told me he didn't have one (as he flipped through something that looked an awful lot like one to prove that to me). Why he didn't just offer to look the number up for me (online or whatever he does) was beyond me. When I returned later and told him no, there was no phone book by the t.v. or anywhere, he offered to have a book sent up to the room. I told him I was going out then and needed the number before I left, so there was no use in sending a book up. If there were books available, why didn't he just give me one the first time? I ended up looking up the number in a weatherworn book hanging from one of the last remaining pay phones on the planet in front of a 7-11 on Palm Avenue...the next day, however, when I went down in need of something, it was the owner at the desk. What a difference. He was almost military in his yes-ma'am-immediately! demeanor. If he'd been on when I needed the phone number, I wouldn't have been squinting and fighting the sea breeze with the book.

- Weird Microwave Setup. The room had a fridge and microwave, both very clean. However, the microwave was not plugged in and in no way would reach the outlet from its perch on the t.v. We had to actually move the microwave at least five feet and crawl to get the thing plugged in.

There was some graffiti on the bathroom wall which it was obvious they had tried to remove and traces of it remained. Otherwise the room was quite clean.

For the price paid, this was not a bad deal. I give the negatives in detail so that you can
see they aren't that bad.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2009

Room was dirty, day shift clerk was uninterested, then there was only one towel (the clerk said they keep them in the office because people steal them), breakfast was a few pieces of bread laid out next to a toaster and some coffee warmed up from the night before. Sirens heard all night long. Pick a different place.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 10, 2008

I booked my reservation through Hotwire. I have never had a bad experience with Hotwire. I read some awful reviews on this place, but it was very near where I had to go. So I took the chance. The hotel looked like it was very recently renovated, the outside and the inside were very nice, it was very comfortable. The area is in South Chula Vista, but very convenient and you can get right on the freeway. I got a good price, and would not hesitate to come back here. Possibly the tarps on the floor in the last review were because they were renovating the place. The room was better than average, and it certainly did not have any kind of odors. It was great value for the money. If you want to pay a few hundred dollars, you can go to a luxury resort like Hotel del Coronado, but this place suited my needs perfectly. I just had to comment after the other reviews gave the place an unnecessary nasty review.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank janene75