“Near the airport but still a beautiful location.” 4 of 5 stars

The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Ranked #108 of 281 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Wisconsin
“Near the airport but still a beautiful location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

nice room great view overlooking the bay or the city.comfortable & clean beds. Bathroom could be cleaned better. Love thebalcony, great area for walking around and looking at the bay. Restaurants are good, lobby is beautiful. would definitely recommend!

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars
AustinGubrud, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear SCN96,

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your recent stay. We truly love reading about remarkable experiences like the one you received. Adding special touches is where our property excels and we couldn't be happier to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Our staff will be pleased to hear about the job well done and the great experience you took home. Thank you for sharing your comments and we hope to host you again when travel plans permit.

Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,074)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina for a conference for most of last week. It was mostly decent. There was a free airport shuttle, which was nice for the way back. We unfortunately took a $10 cab for the four minute trip to the hotel, so I'd recommend waiting for that shuttle.

The hotel itself is nice enough. Nautical themed, helpful staff, very close to the airport, and about a 5-10 minute cab ride from downtown San Diego. Unfortunately, cabs aren't exactly cheap and the hotel itself is isolated out on Harbor Island. One nice thing about the location is that an east facing room gets spectacular views of the sunrise over San Diego. I woke up to it every morning and it never failed to impress. But a great view of the city skyline only means you're not actually in the city.

The hotel seemed decent enough, and the conference rooms were adequate. For those looking to buy a local beer, don't buy it in the hotel. The prices for beer there are outrageous, and there is a store a three minute walk away called "Papanani's Deli" which sells mixed six packs of craft beers for $12. The room service menu also seemed a bit limited to me.

My biggest gripe with the hotel was its location. If you need a good conference hotel, this one works fine. If you want to be in San Diego, you could do better. It's not in the middle of nowhere, but it's not anywhere near downtown either. I will say that the staff all seemed friendly and helpful and the hotel was clean and modern.

Room Tip: Get an east-facing, upper floor room if you want fantastic sunrise views over San Diego in the morni...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Booked through 3rd party vendor, called hotel several days later on arrival date to verify booking and request early check in. Was told there was no reservation and to contact the 3rd party vendor to figure it out. I contacted vendor who verified reservation with the hotel providing me a hotel reservation number. Arrived at 5:20pm, when check in is 3pm and was told room was not ready. Was to stay in Marina tower which I paid for a Deluxe King Room (392sqft) and was sent to Bay tower changing my potential view from bay and city to simply bay and a room that was approximately 100sqft smaller. The room smelled of mold or wet carpet and the walls to hallway paper thin. Heard everyone moving in the hallway. The door knob function opens a pad lock that when exiting the room or entering, if you don't close it causes it to slam against the door frame making a lot of noise down the hallway disturbing everyone. I heard this nightly and it was annoying. The buildings are so far apart that a shuttle is needed to go between them. The Marina tower has all the action. The shuttle drivers called out sick I found out which required the hotel to higher an outside vendor to do the shuttling. I waited over 30 mins when I was told it would be 15 mins. The valet attendant said in a rude and disrespectful manner if I didn't want to wait, I could walk. Not what I wanted to hear. This is far from a 4 star hotel. An employee at the front desk named Precious stated they would do something to make it right but that never happened. Just disappointed to spend about $500 for 2 nights and given excuses. Now I'll wait for Austin Gubrud to respond with some generic corporate apology. How about a refund of the $44 I paid for parking since my room was booked through a 3rd party vendor and that can't be adjusted. That would go a ways to show you mean it.

Room Tip: Simply book somewhere else and if no real choice then ensure you get the Marina Tower.
4 Thank Tony G
Dear curiousreddog,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for your recent stay. We are disappointed to hear your experience at our hotel was less than satisfactory.

It is never our intention to misrepresent our facilities and we apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We are deeply disappointed to hear that you did not receive the high level of service that we are known for. Your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate leadership and addressed immediately.

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

It's very hard to define what hospitality is, but you know it when you experience it. I have experienced hospitality at really humble two star motels while I'm traveling, and I have experienced it also at very nice boutique hotels in big cities. They are completely different types of properties, but the bottom line is - when someone is happy that you choose to stay with them, you will know. That said, for a supposedly four star hotel, the staff at Sheraton San Diego Hotel certainly does not know what hospitality means. They come across as folks who hate their jobs, and they are snooty whenever they can at every interaction with their guests.

My husband and I wanted to go to San Diego for our honeymoon. On Sheraton San Diego's website, Bay Tower rooms are shown as bigger rooms than the rooms in the Marina Tower. We decided to book a Bay Tower room with a king sized bed. When we arrived to check in before midnight, we were told that all rooms at Bay Tower were already gone. They "gave it away", whatever that is supposed to mean (cue Seinfeld's speech about the point of making and holding a reservation here). Instead, they gave us a room with two double beds in Marina Tower instead. I explained very nicely that this is our honeymoon and that we would like to have a room with ONE bed. The person who checked me in said that they would not be able to accommodate. I asked hesitantly if the room that he was giving me was a nice one, he said curtly, "Yes". Tired from the traveling, I said "okay" and hopped back in the car and asked my very sweet and equally tired husband to drive us to the Marina Tower, probably about half a mile to a mile down the road.

When we arrived at our room, I was horrified. It was very small, not at all like the picture I had seen on Sheraton's website. Moreover, the two double beds took up most of the room. The room was on a low floor, so instead of seeing a nice view of the marina as the hotel had advertised on their website, we had a good view of lots o' gravel. I called front desk immediately and explained that this was not acceptable. After an hour of waiting and follow up's on my part (they weren't enthusiastic about calling me back, I had to be the one who calls back), suddenly, they announced that they had a room with a king sized bed available. By this time, it was 1am. I doubt that a guest had checked out unexpectedly from midnight to 1am. My guess is that they did not want to give me the room that I had asked for (a room with king sized bed), and was hoping that we would eventually "go away". I feel that it is unfair -- they charged me at the rate that we agreed upon, but they made me grovel after traveling for a room that I was supposed to have in the first place.

There are other smaller incidents at the hotel which made me feel like their staff are not well versed with the concept of"hospitality". I will just list a couple of highlights here:

- The card key did not work in the pool area. When I called the hotel near the pool area asking for a new card key that would work on the gates around the pool area, they told me to go to the front lobby and get in line. I explained that they were 50 people in business suits waiting to check into the hotel for some kind of conference, and asked if they could work with me and send someone to meet me in the lobby so we could do a card key exchange, they very curtly refused with 'tude.

- They did not do any type of housekeeping during my stay there. I definitely did not ask for this.

- I called the front desk at one point for some fresh towels and coffee packets (again, due to lack of housekeeping). My phone rang later and I was informed me that they could not deliver me the towels and coffee packets due to the DO NOT DISTURB sign placed on the door. "Oh, go ahead and knock," I replied. The person on the phone gave me a mini lecture about how when the DO NOT DISTURB sign is on the door, hotel staff cannot knock on the door. Really? I just called for some fresh amenities, and am giving you verbal confirmation that it is OKAY to knock on the door for said amenities -- which was supposed to have been refreshed during the day while we were gone in the first place -- and you are going to give me a lecture about your hotel policy? Doesn't the policy exist to ensure that guests like I will enjoy my stay while I am at your property?

If as a paying customer, you enjoy being given attitude and lectures by the staff everywhere you turn, this is the perfect property for you. Otherwise, I would strongly advice you to STAY AWAY!

Green Features: Just a scam to avoid housekeeping in the hotel room -- they don't perform housekeeping either way even to rooms that do not have the green sign on the door.
2 Thank dontbullyme
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and recent stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. It is always gratifying when we can create a welcoming experience for our guests. This is why your story is so upsetting to hear and we are deeply disappointed about how far short we fell of your expectations beginning at arrival.

The lack-luster assistance you received is unacceptable and will surely be addressed. Please accept our apology and take note that this is not the norm for our hotel. Providing impeccable service is essential to our goal of creating a home away from home and your comments will prove valuable to our ongoing efforts.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Last weekend I celebrated my birthday by staying a few days in the MARINA TOWER of the Sheraton San Diego Tower and Marina. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed every minute of my vacation. The Sheraton courtesy van picked me up from the nearby San Diego Airport and drove the few minutes to the hotel, which is huge with two towers and three pools and several restaurants right on the water of the bay. The Marina Tower lobby is beautiful and spacious with a friendly and fast check-in. There are fragrant fresh flowers on the foyer tables, by the elevators, and on the Club Level on the top floor of the Marina Tower. I was so exhausted from flying from Chicago's freezing snowy weather, that I did not even notice the nice Sheraton projection on the marble floor in the huge lobby until the next day. Everyone should stop at the lobby concierge desk and meet Cecilia, the most enthusiastic, well informed, thoughtful concierge that I have ever met. She was so gracious and kind to me by surprising me with treats in my room for my birthday and trying so hard to find a cable for my camera to download all the lovely photos that I took of the marina water views. She is very warm and welcoming. Every concierge was quite helpful. I also visited the small orderly gift shop to purchase over-priced stamps, and picked up snacks in the first floor cafe. My Room 1212 in the Marina Tower was clean, quiet, nicely updated, and overlooked the peaceful marina full of dozens of boats. I was not a fan of the red, white, and blue nautical decor in my room and would have preferred more subdued neutral colors. When I could not get the flat panel tv to come on and mentioned it to maintenance, it was fixed immediately. My room had newer carpeting, a comfortable king bed, and gorgeous views overlooking the marina from my balcony. I especially liked the professional staff in the Marina Tower Club Level lounge who served a somewhat monotonous 6:30 to 9:30 AM breakfast of fresh fruit, warm oatmeal, pastries, bagels, croissants, hard boiled eggs, cold cuts and cheese, and coffee every morning. Newspapers and bottled water were available in the Club Lounge. In the evenings they served a buffet which included two warm hors d'ouvres, fresh fruit, and delicious shortbread cookies, along with coffee and cocktails for purchase in the Club Lounge, which has huge windows to admire the city and marina views. I enjoyed walking along the marina and waking up to the sounds of the marina from my balcony each morning. There were nice fire pits to sit near and visit with other guests, but one of the two swimming pools was closed along with the restaurant called Shoreline. Lovely flowers (petunias) were neatly planted in huge flower beds near the grand entrance. The lobby was full of activity from groups of seniors arriving for a cruise. One day I went over to the Bay Tower building and was not so impressed with the dated decor and less attractive swimming pool and less attentive concierge check-in staff. I will be sure to request the Marina Tower the next time that I stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. Their front desk, concierge, Club Lounge, and transportation staff made my birthday stay memorable, and I will return for sure. Thanks for treating me like a Starwood member VIP.

Room Tip: Be sure to stay on the Club Level of the Marina Tower overlooking the marina with lovely views and t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Manahawkin, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

my wife and I spent 3 nights in this hotel . We choose this hotel again because I knew the location and felt comfortable staying there. Last time I reviewed this hotel I had made a comment that the staff wasn't very friendly . The mgr had commented how he appreciated the feedback and would speak with his staff . Well this time we were given a room in the bay tower . The room was very nice no complaints . The staff on the other hand were not like the last time. They were WORSE !! . The bell guys the first face of the hotel didn't look at you turned away no welcome no nothing . that is unless you were valet parking .Given a choice I will not stay here again . It cost me $ 50 to rent a car for 3 days and $ 66 to park it. Is it that bad that hotel guests have to pay that much. Really need money that bad. NO ONE SAYS WELCOME BACK GOOD MORNING GOOD AFTERNOON, GOOD EVENING HOW CAN I HELP YOU ..NO NOTHING !! With so many choices I would suggest a little under cover boss here This is not worth of being called a Shearaton sorry but as they say if the shoe fits you have to wear iy .

Room Tip: stay in the marina tower. you will hear the planes less
3 Thank Richard R
Dear Richard R,

Thank you for your recent stay and for the time taken to post your review on TripAdvisor. It is with candid feedback like yours that we are able to improve our guest satisfaction and provide every guest a stay to remember.

We like to take this opportunity to apologize for the lack of service you received while in residence. We are disappointed to hear that your experience with our associates was lack-luster, as we commonly receive good comments about our detailed and quality service.

Here at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina, we take every opportunity to make a guest feel welcomed and appreciated. This starts with a smooth arrival and a clean room to rest in. With that said, we are deeply sorry that you were given the incorrect room and your room seemed neglected by our housekeeping staff. Please understand that this is not the norm for our property and your experience will be brought up in future training sessions.

Thank you, again, for leaving your comments. We are hopeful to earn another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel and staff.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I just got back from a "romantic" stay at the Sheraton Bay Towers with my wife. I made the reservation a month in advance and was sure to reserve a room with a view and a king size bed. Upon arrival I was informed that they didn't have any more rooms. The guy ahead of me in line to check in was also told the same thing. The had my reservation but had failed to actually reserve the room. I should note that I was checking in at 6 pm, its not like I came in at midnight. They moved us to the other Sheraton which was about 1/2 mile closer to the airport allowing us to hear the planes taking off all evening despite having all the doors and windows closed. The room they gave us had an OK but not great view and we got two double beds instead of the king bed I reserved. When I complained all I got was a shrug and a sorry. For the cost you can definitely do better. I will not be staying at a Sheraton Hotel again.

1 Thank FunknSD
Dear FunknSD,

Thank you for your review and recent stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. Our ongoing goal is to create an experience that welcomes a guest with quality and seamless service. It is deeply upsetting to hear that we fell short of your expectations beginning at your arrival.

The lack-luster attention you received with your reservation is unacceptable and will surely be addressed. Please accept our apology and take note that this is not the norm for our hotel. Providing a smooth check-in process is essential to our goal of creating a home away from home for our guests and your comments will prove valuable to our ongoing efforts.

Thank you again for your TripAdvisor review. We hope for a future opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.