New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Ranked #104 of 281 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful time at Marina Tower at Sheraton SD Hotel and Marina”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Last weekend I celebrated my birthday by staying a few days in the MARINA TOWER of the Sheraton San Diego Tower and Marina. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed every minute of my vacation. The Sheraton courtesy van picked me up from the nearby San Diego Airport and drove the few minutes to the hotel, which is huge with two towers and three pools and several restaurants right on the water of the bay. The Marina Tower lobby is beautiful and spacious with a friendly and fast check-in. There are fragrant fresh flowers on the foyer tables, by the elevators, and on the Club Level on the top floor of the Marina Tower. I was so exhausted from flying from Chicago's freezing snowy weather, that I did not even notice the nice Sheraton projection on the marble floor in the huge lobby until the next day. Everyone should stop at the lobby concierge desk and meet Cecilia, the most enthusiastic, well informed, thoughtful concierge that I have ever met. She was so gracious and kind to me by surprising me with treats in my room for my birthday and trying so hard to find a cable for my camera to download all the lovely photos that I took of the marina water views. She is very warm and welcoming. Every concierge was quite helpful. I also visited the small orderly gift shop to purchase over-priced stamps, and picked up snacks in the first floor cafe. My Room 1212 in the Marina Tower was clean, quiet, nicely updated, and overlooked the peaceful marina full of dozens of boats. I was not a fan of the red, white, and blue nautical decor in my room and would have preferred more subdued neutral colors. When I could not get the flat panel tv to come on and mentioned it to maintenance, it was fixed immediately. My room had newer carpeting, a comfortable king bed, and gorgeous views overlooking the marina from my balcony. I especially liked the professional staff in the Marina Tower Club Level lounge who served a somewhat monotonous 6:30 to 9:30 AM breakfast of fresh fruit, warm oatmeal, pastries, bagels, croissants, hard boiled eggs, cold cuts and cheese, and coffee every morning. Newspapers and bottled water were available in the Club Lounge. In the evenings they served a buffet which included two warm hors d'ouvres, fresh fruit, and delicious shortbread cookies, along with coffee and cocktails for purchase in the Club Lounge, which has huge windows to admire the city and marina views. I enjoyed walking along the marina and waking up to the sounds of the marina from my balcony each morning. There were nice fire pits to sit near and visit with other guests, but one of the two swimming pools was closed along with the restaurant called Shoreline. Lovely flowers (petunias) were neatly planted in huge flower beds near the grand entrance. The lobby was full of activity from groups of seniors arriving for a cruise. One day I went over to the Bay Tower building and was not so impressed with the dated decor and less attractive swimming pool and less attentive concierge check-in staff. I will be sure to request the Marina Tower the next time that I stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. Their front desk, concierge, Club Lounge, and transportation staff made my birthday stay memorable, and I will return for sure. Thanks for treating me like a Starwood member VIP.

Room Tip: Be sure to stay on the Club Level of the Marina Tower overlooking the marina with lovely views and t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,088)
  • Polish first
Manahawkin, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

my wife and I spent 3 nights in this hotel . We choose this hotel again because I knew the location and felt comfortable staying there. Last time I reviewed this hotel I had made a comment that the staff wasn't very friendly . The mgr had commented how he appreciated the feedback and would speak with his staff . Well this time we were given a room in the bay tower . The room was very nice no complaints . The staff on the other hand were not like the last time. They were WORSE !! . The bell guys the first face of the hotel didn't look at you turned away no welcome no nothing . that is unless you were valet parking .Given a choice I will not stay here again . It cost me $ 50 to rent a car for 3 days and $ 66 to park it. Is it that bad that hotel guests have to pay that much. Really need money that bad. NO ONE SAYS WELCOME BACK GOOD MORNING GOOD AFTERNOON, GOOD EVENING HOW CAN I HELP YOU ..NO NOTHING !! With so many choices I would suggest a little under cover boss here This is not worth of being called a Shearaton sorry but as they say if the shoe fits you have to wear iy .

Room Tip: stay in the marina tower. you will hear the planes less
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Richard R
AustinGubrud, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Richard R,

Thank you for your recent stay and for the time taken to post your review on TripAdvisor. It is with candid feedback like yours that we are able to improve our guest satisfaction and provide every guest a stay to remember.

We like to take this opportunity to apologize for the lack of service you received while in residence. We are disappointed to hear that your experience with our associates was lack-luster, as we commonly receive good comments about our detailed and quality service.

Here at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina, we take every opportunity to make a guest feel welcomed and appreciated. This starts with a smooth arrival and a clean room to rest in. With that said, we are deeply sorry that you were given the incorrect room and your room seemed neglected by our housekeeping staff. Please understand that this is not the norm for our property and your experience will be brought up in future training sessions.

Thank you, again, for leaving your comments. We are hopeful to earn another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel and staff.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I just got back from a "romantic" stay at the Sheraton Bay Towers with my wife. I made the reservation a month in advance and was sure to reserve a room with a view and a king size bed. Upon arrival I was informed that they didn't have any more rooms. The guy ahead of me in line to check in was also told the same thing. The had my reservation but had failed to actually reserve the room. I should note that I was checking in at 6 pm, its not like I came in at midnight. They moved us to the other Sheraton which was about 1/2 mile closer to the airport allowing us to hear the planes taking off all evening despite having all the doors and windows closed. The room they gave us had an OK but not great view and we got two double beds instead of the king bed I reserved. When I complained all I got was a shrug and a sorry. For the cost you can definitely do better. I will not be staying at a Sheraton Hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank FunknSD
Dear FunknSD,

Thank you for your review and recent stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. Our ongoing goal is to create an experience that welcomes a guest with quality and seamless service. It is deeply upsetting to hear that we fell short of your expectations beginning at your arrival.

The lack-luster attention you received with your reservation is unacceptable and will surely be addressed. Please accept our apology and take note that this is not the norm for our hotel. Providing a smooth check-in process is essential to our goal of creating a home away from home for our guests and your comments will prove valuable to our ongoing efforts.

Thank you again for your TripAdvisor review. We hope for a future opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

The room was perfect for my one night stay. It was clean and had great service. Since they did not have a room upgrade for me being a starwood member they gave me complimentary breakfast (note to other hotels: sometimes the little extra small things can go a long way to making guests really happy). I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014
Tacoma, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed here for a week for a conference. The hotel has great views of the marina. When I checked in I was asked if I wanted to upgrade to the club level for $50/night. The benefits? On the top floor, free internet, free continental breakfast, free appetizers in the evening. I figured close to being worth it with the free wifi and breakfast so I did it. The club level has the same exact rooms as the other floors, the view from the 11th floor and probably lower was just as good. The breakfast was no better than a Best Western. The hotel failed to tell me the conference I was with included free wifi, which made it not worth it. The evening reception food was good, but no complimentary liquor, which I find strange when many lower rated hotels offer this. If I would have know my wifi was free I wouldn't have upgraded and I won't next year, totally not worth it. The next thing that I found disturbing was when I came back from breakfast there was a bottle of grey goose on the dresser from the mini bar (however not my minibar, because I wasn't missing any) that I didn't take out and wasn't there when I left and it was opened, but not drank. When the hotel 'investigated' it, I had been charged for it while I wasn't in the room. The told me that the mini bar attendant had entered my room at 9:15 to check on the mini bar and that is how it had happened. I find it very strange that a 'mini bar attendant' would enter my room to check it when I just checked in the night before and I hadn't removed anything from the bar. The have censors, so they would have known this. I choose not to make a big deal about it as I was in a hurry, so I let it go, but I find it hard to believe that the explanation was accurate. The hotel is clean, the rooms are average, the pool is in the shade until almost noon. If I didn't have the mini bar experience I would have rated it a three.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade to the club level
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank kortkass
Dear kortkass,

Thank you for your review and recent stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. It is always gratifying when we can create a welcoming experience for our guests. This is why your story is so upsetting to hear and we are deeply disappointed about how far short we fell of your expectations beginning at arrival.

The lack-luster assistance you received is unacceptable and will surely be addressed. Please accept our apology and take note that this is not the norm for our hotel. Providing impeccable service is essential to our goal of creating a home away from home and your comments will prove valuable to our ongoing efforts.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Had a great trip with excellent service and staff. Very helpful concierge, and exceptionally attentive door staff. The meeting areas were perfect, great sound. The room was perfect, very comfortable with a wonderful view. The bed was so nice! Terrific housekeeping staff as well, thank you! Wonderful kitchen and bar staff, good food. Overall a fantastic stay!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank David H
Dear David H,

I would take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your recent stay. We love hearing great feedback like yours as we put forward everything possible to make every guest leave having had a great experience.

Our staff will be pleased to hear about the job well done and the great experience you took home. Thank you for sharing your comments and we hope to host you again if future travel plans permit.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Great location in San Diego, but there are probably better hotels for the money. Food is pretty good and the staff, as expected at an SPG property, second to none. Rooms are a bit tired and the beds and pillows quite worn. I was here for conferences and the business rooms were adequate but AC not well controlled.
If you're here for business, you can do far worse than this property, but of you're here for pleasure, you can probably do better.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business