“Won't be doing this again. . .”

The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Ranked #109 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Chose this hotel for the convenience of the shuttle service. Room was set up for 2 people although we requested 3. There was an $11 charge for Internet even though hotel website and my reservation said it was free. We waited over an hour for room service. When it finally arrived, my french fries were cold, and the sandwich was so soggy it was inedible! Next time, I'll stay at a nicer place and pay for the cab

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
AustinGubrud, Marketing Coordinator at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear rngunn,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your review and recent stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. It’s pleasing to hear that you took advantage of the complimentary shuttle service, but disappointed that the complimentary high speed WiFi service in the lobby and club lounge was not communicated to you properly.

Keeping our guests properly informed of the services and features that our hotel offers is a top priority. If you will, please connect with us at Austin.Gubrud@sheraton.com to review the communication regarding internet access on your reservation. We will be glad to honor any details put forward.

While your experience was not of satisfaction, we are hopeful for another opportunity to host you again and to demonstrate the potential of our hotel. Thank you for your review and constructive comments.

Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina

Write a ReviewReviews (3,915)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is my third multi-day stay at this property for a meeting. Each time in a Marina Suite.
The location - excellent if you want isolation with wonderful views; city/harbor views are better than marina views. Excellent because it is close to the airport with complimentary shuttle service 24/7. If you want options for eating and entertainment........not so excellent; it's a cab ride into the city, not a long or expensive trip but it is a trip.
A Marina Suite is two regular rooms with most of the connecting wall removed so you get two balconies and two closets along with one bathroom, a gratie topped bar with mini-fridge, a very nice living room with couch two chairs, coffee table, cradenza and large flat-panel TV. The bedroom has a king-size bed, work area, two night tables (with drawers!) and a second cradenza with a second large flat panel TV that is half consumed with the min-bar. This is a great set-up for an extended stay, I suspect a regular room might be a little tight.
The single bathroom is small and tight.The all-white "decorating" seems overly institutional. Towels were adequate in size, barely, with a plushness appropriate to a Sheraton. The toiletries were of reasonable quality and were replaced as they were needed if not before. Water flow in the shower was low, but this is southern California so anything more might have been illegal. The robe was a light waffle knit, at least there was a robe.
The bed and associated inens were fine. Four king-size pillows were more than adequate. Lighting above the two night tables was adequate and the night tables themselves had large surfaces and drawers (did I mention the drawers?). The work area had a large surface, hard-wired internet and wi-fi was available and worked well. There was adequate light and power for work. The one flaw with the suite set-up is the cradenza was too close to the work area so the top drawer was only partially useful - in the suite this was not a problem because of the cradenza in the living room and I guess in a regular room the drawer would not be blocked.
Check-in was fast, friendly and efficient, so was check-out. I had an issue with a slow draining sink that was resolved quickly with a single call.
Exercise facilities were adequate, not stressed during my stay.
There is a Starbucks off the lobby which was a good alternative to the restaurant which was good but with very slow service.

Room Tip: odd numbered rooms have city views.
2  Thank Bob K

Dear Bob k,

Thank you very much for the comprehensive and thorough review of your recent experience at our hotel. It’s gratifying to hear our facility was accommodating, but also to hear that our staff responded to your requests in a timely manner.

Here at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina, we believe that traveling with the comforts of home is the only way to travel. The fitness center powered by Core Fitness, in-room amenities, dining outlets, and all of the hotels features truly lend hand to the great experience you have received each and every time you have stayed with us.

Your kind comments are appreciated and we are hope to host you again when your travel plans permit.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Back in the day, I used to work for Sheraton and thus got a $25 room rate at any Sheraton. My wife and I would stay at this hotel several times per year and we always had a great experience. We stayed at this property for six nights a few years ago and enjoyed it, but we had a city view. This time we were on the Club Level with an amazing view of the yacht harbor and an amazing sunset. The room was clean and tidy, the bathroom was spacious enough for us as we were only here for one night this time. Watch the room rates though. I stayed elsewhere for the first four nights of my conference because the rate at this hotel was close to $500 per night. The night we stayed there it was $250? Guess they have it figured out when the conferences are in town. The only downside to this property is the location is miles away from all of the good restaurants. There are a few places to eat on Harbor Island, but they are not in the same class as Mister A's, Oceanaire Room, Bice etc., so it's a $30 round trip in a taxi. I would definitely stay here again just for the view from the room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

The room was fine, clean, nice white bed spread, exactly what you expect from a nice business hotel. It is right next to the airport which can be good or bad depending on your perspective. The pool area was beautiful.

On the downside, it just seemed like things were run inefficiently. We pulled up to the front, my husband went in to check in, had to wait 20 minutes to check in, came out and we had no idea where to park (and no one had offered to take our luggage). Figured out that the self parking lot was a bit of a walk away, and that we would have to pay $22/ night to park there, which we had to go back to the front desk to do. Hauled our luggage across the dirt/gravel parking lot, back in to the hotel, and had to wait another 15 minutes to get the charge added to our room. Why didn't the tell us about this at check in? Couldn't find our room, (247) why didn't someone bother to tell us which way to turn, or that we were already in the second floor and didn't need to wait for an elevator and look stupidly around for the 2 button? At 8:00 on the morning we were to check out, house keeping knocked on our door to ask if they could clean the room, shouldn't they have a list if who is checking out, and get notification of when people check out without having to knock on the door at an early hour? I went to ask the concierge for a breakfast place recommendation. It took her 10 minutes to get out a list, think about it for a while, and call several places to see what time they opened (it was 9 am). She was pleasant, but shouldn't telling someone where to eat be a little quicker then that?

The facilities are so nice, there is potential for it to be a great hotel, all I can conclude is that management has done a bad job of hiring, and training employees and designing processes to make things run smoothly for guests.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Elh4572

Dear Elh4572,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review and recent stay at our hotel. It’s pleasing to hear that you found quality in our facilities, but disheartening to find that our staff did not communicate the parking lot location to you during check-in.

Your comments will not be taken lightly and will be communicated to the appropriate leadership, as these inconveniences are not the norm for our property. Please do be aware that all of our staff are highly trained and selectively chosen for each position based on key strengths and skills. With that said, we do apologize for any inconveniences that you encountered during your stay.

Your comments are constructive and will be useful for future employee training sessions. Thank you for your review and we are hopeful for another chance to host you during future travels to San Diego.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We used to go here all the time. We loved it. Not sure if new management took over but everything has changed. The decor, feel, cleanliness and staff. It used to be when you first walked in to the lobby it was warm, inviting, friendly staff, clean hotel rooms. This last time (a week ago) was none of those things. They changed the decor in the lobby. It is now dark, cold feeling, strange seating areas, the staff from the outside valet parkers to the inside at the desks were not friendly. They didn't even greet us. When we checked out the staff behind the desks didn't thank us or say goodbye either. Our room had old, beaten up furniture and was not clean - especially the bathroom. It was gross.They need to overhaul the hotel rooms with new furniture and get a construction crew for their bathrooms. I was scared to even touch anything. We will not be staying there anymore we will find a new hotel in that area.

Room Tip: upper marina and bay views. check the room first to see if its clean
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear lana90025,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for leaving your review, as it is comments like yours that provide an extremely helpful perspective to our never-ending push for improvement.

We have received many comments (mostly good and some bad) on the lobby experience, and we appreciate your constructive opinion. Your thoughts regarding the ambiance of the lobby and guestrooms will be mentioned during future leadership meetings, but please note that this is not the norm for our hotel as we commonly receive great comments about the relaxing and social nature of our lobby space.

Thank you for your review and recent stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. We are hopeful that your latest experience did not cloud your previous lasting memories at our hotel.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was at Sheraton Marina Bay in San Diego last August 2012.
They offered us a really nice room with panoramic views to the private seaport which allowed us to see an incredible sunset every day.
The staff was very polite and efficient, and the restaurant pretty good.
However, must say the parking was really expensive without any real possibility to park somewhere else.
Still, i will come back.

Room Tip: Ask for seaport views
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just checked out of this hotel yesterday and was shocked it has the Sheraton name on it. Very far from the Gas Lamp District and the other hotels and restaurants but very close to the airport. There are two different towers and they are not close. I was there for a meeting and seminar and this hotel was noisy (from construction going on at all hours) and in a state of disrepair. There was a problem with my door and I could not get the door to the hallway shut when I left the room at noon for a meeting the day after I checked in. There was a woman in the hall from housekeeping and she never once offered to help or call anyone although I was pulling the door over and over. Finally, after just asking her for help, turns out she did not speak one word of English. I went to my meeting and stopped at the gift shop for hairspray on the way and just put it in the bag from the gift shop in my purse after a quick spray. Turns out when I got back to my room found the entire bottle leaked from bottle into bag. The woman in the gift shop literally spent 10 minutes questioning me when I went to get it replaced the next day. On my way leaving the room for the reception later my door would not shut again. Finally I gave up after hurting my hand again and called the front desk. I was LEFT ON HOLD AND THEY NEVER CAME BACK. I called back and it rang and rang and finally I was able to report that the door would not shut again and they sent up security. He was a very nice man who was shocked how bad the door was. By then I was 20 minutes late for the reception and he needed to get a construction crew in to fix the door. Although he said they would do something to compensate me, I never heard from anyone. I returned to my room that night and there was debris and dust from where they had been fixing the door and my room service tray from 12 hours earlier was still sitting outside my door! Next morning when I was checking out the door would not shut again. I stopped by the front desk on my way out and again, pretty much indifference.

I would NOT recommend this hotel. Other than a nice view from my window of the bay, there is no reason to put up with such indifference and lack of responsiveness, especially when you are so far from all the shops and restaurants. Others in my group complained about the non-stop construction noise in our tower, to no avail.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
AustinGubrud, Marketing Coordinator at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear FrequentFlyer_1987,

Our ongoing efforts to provide exceptional experiences for all our guests has proven to be an impressive attribute to our hotel, which is why your comments are deeply concerning. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to leave your TripAdvisor review, as guest comments are the heart and soul of the superior level of service our hotel is known for.

The lackluster experience that was dealt to you at our hotel is unacceptable and will be investigated further. Broken doors and dirty food plates does not exemplify our goal of providing a comfortable, clean, and accommodating experiences.

With a hotel of our size, we rely on our Front Desk Associates to handle inevitable problems that occasionally arise in a timely manner. Your comments in relation to the lagging hold times while asking for assistance will be communicated to the appropriate leadership and will be included in further training sessions.

We apologize for any distress and inconveniences this has caused you, but please note that this is not the norm for our hotel. With that said, we are hopeful for an opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel if your travel plans extend to San Diego in the future.

Thank you, again, for your review and recent stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina.