“Would have been so good... But”

The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Ranked #114 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed here for our last night in California. Everything was good minus the $22 parking fee, however that is par for the course. We went to bed and heard an alarm clock from the next room. We called The front desk, but no luck, called again and 25 minutes later they shut it off. This happened 3 times during the night. The staff was not very apologetic until the next am when I complained. It ruined our experience, for others this is unlikely to happen and aside from the service the hotel was great. Rooms were spacious and clean and had no issues. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank tiredtravellerCanada
AustinGubrud, Marketing Coordinator at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear tiredtravellerCanada,

Listening to our guests experiences, good or bad, is the heart and soul of our ongoing efforts to create extraordinary and lasting memories. For that reason, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your concerns.

We understand the importance of a good night’s sleep, especially when you’re traveling, and we would like to apologize for the disruptive alarm clock in the neighboring guestroom. Your incident will be investigated and brought up during future leadership meetings to see where improvements to the system can be made.

Thank you for your recent stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina and we are hopeful for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was a little skeptical about the hotel (reading reviews after we had booked our trip for a one week stay over Christmas) but the fears ended almost immediately upon arrival. It started with the incredibly customer service orientated check in staff.
This was followed by a very nice room overlooking the Marina which contrary to some of the reports that I have read was quiet. Sure there was some aircraft activities heard (mainly between 6:30 and 7:00am) but people have to realize that they are booking a room literally a few blocks from the airport. It was far from inconvenient, I think that I only noticed it because I was in my wake up mode.
The price for meals was average for hotel dining and the food left nothing to be desired.
Overall, a great staff who cared (except for one concierge who pushed one particular car rental company and when we finally said okay played games to try to delay us until the agency would close for Christmas , we waited 3 hours for them to pick us up, she said she tried two others and they had nothing, I made one call and we were in a rental car in 45 minutes)
After that poor service we found our own things to do with the great help of restaurant and bar staff (great source of advice for things that are a must do and some to pass on)
There are a few very nice reasonably priced excellent restaurants within walking distance,try Island Prime and The boathouse, you will not be disappointed.
Would we stay there again? Absolutely we plan to again next year.

Room Tip: Definitely Marina view higher than the 5th floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wthutch
AustinGubrud, Marketing Coordinator at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear wthutch,

Thank you for the great comments about your experience at our hotel and specifically our dining offerings. Most of all, thank you for recognizing our staff. We take great pride in our service and appreciate that you took the time to acknowledge our efforts.

Your comments are truly appreciated and we look forward to hosting you again next year or whenever your travel plans permit.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I recently spent 5 nights hear for a conference. It had great facilities a great pool nice rooms and the service was good overall. Only criticism is that the bar was too expensive and reception were slow. But for any business trip to the city or conference this place is ideal.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2013

It was my second stay at the Sheraton Marina and it was again a fantastic experience. It was my special Christmas gift to my 10 year old son. The experience actually was above and beyond fantastic.
After a terrible day and a half travel due to severe weather conditions, we forgot all about the negativity the moment we said good evening to the front desk staff at check in. A special Thank you goes to Anthony at the Club Lounge, Andrew in Maintenance and Marta the Front desk Manager. You guys rock and I hope to return with my family soon. I travel a lot and love Sheraton Hotels, from all the Sheratons the Marina in San Diego is one of the best, when it comes to service - It is exceptional. Yes, its close to the airport and a 40 minute walk or 5 minute cab ride to town. Take the good with the bad - there is certainly more good. Pool, Hot tub, spa and gym is fantastic. The Breakfast buffet is great and has something for everyone. The Club Lounge is worth the upgrade.

Room Tip: Get the Marina View and upgrade to the Club Level if you can. Use the Concierge service to book your...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
AustinGubrud, Marketing Coordinator at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Travelwizard66,

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your kind remarks regarding your recent stay. We were very happy to provide you with the type of quality service and accommodations you desired, especially at that late hour and under what must have been a frustrating flight experience.

Additionally, please be aware that your comments about the exceptional service Anthony, Andrew, and Marta provided you will be communicated to the appropriate leadership and passed along to our staff.

Thank you, again, for leaving your review and we are hopeful to host you again when your travel plans permit.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I will avoid this place like the plague on my next visit to San Diego. My husband and I attended a conference here and were more or less stuck with the hotel. It was an awful experience from start to finish and I was glad when our week here ended.
It started at check in. We paid for an upgraded room (first mistake) which wasn't ready when we tried to check in at 4 pm. They did buy us a cup of coffee while we waited for over an hour. Then, when we went to check in, we were yelled at for standing in the wrong line (apparently reserved for some kind of Sheraton hotel elite). Our room faced the bay as promised but the view was partially obstructed by trees; the balcony could have been quite pleasant but for the noise. What we didn't realize when we booked was that the hotel caters to mostly families with young children and that it is extremely noisy. We were tired from our travels and had hoped to rest before meeting friends later that night. But all we could hear in our room were screaming children and steel drums beating incessantly. We requested a room change but the staff had no interest in this.
Fortunately we had a rental car for the first part of our stay. The hotel is quite remote and there is little within a 20-30 minute walk. While the hotel provides a shuttle service to downtown, the hours are not extensive and the wait is at least 15 minutes each time. We had to supplement the service with pricey cab fares (averaging about $20 from the Gaslamp district). Still, paying the cab fare was generally a preferable option to eating at the hotel restaurants which are extremely overpriced, even for resort hotels. It was "pay me now or pay me later"--pay over $30 a day to park your own vehicle, or $20 each way for cab fare, or pay the premium prices to eat at the hotel. There were no inexpensive options. The quality of hotel restaurants was quite variable. The nice restaurant had decent food but charged us an extra $5 when I shared part of my husband's meal one night (I wasn't very hungry and ordered a salad). When I had some of my husband's entree, they insisted on charging us extra although this charge wasn't listed on the menu. We questioned the charge but the waiter insisted. This was typical--no one at this hotel had any interest in pleasing customers or providing service.
The final insult came on our last night there at the conference closing banquet. Although my chair was a mere inches from the table edge, one waiter kept bumping into the chair throughout dinner. I kept moving closer to the table to avoid the repeated bumping. Finally, during dessert, the waiter crashed into my chair and dumped the dessert tray with glass dishes on my head. This resulted in a big bump on my head, a headache, and chocolate mousse in my hair and on my evening gown. The hotel followed up diligently (I think they wanted to avoid a lawsuit) but all I wanted to do was get the heck out of there. It seemed like a fitting end to a horrible stay.

Room Tip: Rooms high up are quieter. Rooms with bay view have noise from pool area.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary H

Dear Mary H,

I would take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your recent stay. It is with candid feedback like yours that we are able to improve our guest satisfaction and provide every guest a stay to remember.

We are disappointed that your check-in experience was not of satisfactory, as we commonly receive good comments about our timely responds to room upgrade requests. The lack-luster treatment you received at our SPG counter is not appropriate and will be investigated.

While our hotel does accommodate families with small children, we keep the comfort of our conference attendees at a top concern. Although we provide complimentary WiFi in our lobby, state-of-the-art meeting outlets, and a beautiful indoor and outdoor environment to relax, we understand that noise can affect the overall experience of our conference attendees. The week of your stay was an especially busy week, as we were at 100% occupancy, and unfortunately had trouble moving guests to other rooms. Please note that the parking fees you were told are incorrect and we regret that we did not confirm with you that self-parking is a cost of $22 per day. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Here at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina, we take everyone opportunity to make a guest feel welcomed and appreciated. With that said, we are deeply sorry that your time with us was not of satisfactory, and your experience will be brought up in future training sessions.
Thank you, again, for leaving your comments. We are hopeful to earn another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Location is excellent in proximity to the airport, but there is minimal dining within walking distance. Most dining and entertainment is a $12-18 can fare one way. There is a nice walking path that takes you downtown (45-60' walk).

Staff is phenomenal. Very welcoming and accommodating.

Rooms are updated, but beds uncomfortable. There is a tremendous amount of dust in the room. I threw a t-shirt on the floor and was surprised at the amount of dust that flew up. Our two year old spilled some juice, and when cleaned up with a warm rag, more than juice came up-the wash cloth wash dark grey to black... I think it is time to shampoo the floors. We did wake up to the strong smell of jet fuel which seemed to dissipate through the day. Not much the hotel can do about it, but a sensitive person beware.

A nice feature is the balcony that looks out onto the peninsula. We watched several military ships pull in and out as well as planes take off or coast guard helicopters. Fun for a two year old!

The wifi is strong, even with a couple devices pulling.

I do like the full service Starbucks. All of amenities of a stand-alone store which you don't see inside hotels very often.

Overall, a pleasant stay for my wife's conference. If coming in for pleasure, would have stayed closer to GasLamp or downtown.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Phatpkts,

We are exultant to hear that your overall experience at our hotel was great and that you, and your wife, enjoyed the facilities. I would like to thank you for your kind words and for your recent stay.

While many guests love the close proximity to downtown, without actually being in downtown, I understand your concern in regards to affordable transportation between the two destinations. We are pleased to announce the return of the Big Bay Shuttle which will connect guests of our hotel to many of San Diego’s renowned waterfront locations for just $1 per day. Also, we do provide complimentary shuttle service to the airport and between the two towers, which many guest take advantage of.

While we commonly receive high remarks on the cleanliness of our hotel, it’s disappointing to hear your experience did not support our ongoing effort to maintain such a reputation. This will be brought to the attention of our leadership and will be taken care of in a timely manner.

Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here three times. I really like the property as they are new and very clean as well as very comfortable beds. The rooms are large and almost everyone has a very nice view. I had an amazing view from the 9th floor of downtown but just be advised the airport is a across the street and you hear the jets as well as smell the jet fuel. It is not overbearing and they do stop around 11 PM at night and start up around 0600.
The lobby has a full blown large full service Stabucks if you stay in the main tower closest to the airport. There is a North Tower that I like better because it is a little smaller and less noisy. They hold conventions in the main towers and the lobby area was very crowded and noisy when I checked in which is not what I wanted. In the main towers they have a nice restaurant in the lobby that looks out over the marina and it is beautiful. I would request a marina view room although the city is beautiful. The marina rooms are less noisy as they are on the backside of this particular set of towers.
Thy do offer a green option to skip house keeping and you get 5 dollars which was not enough draw for me but you can also cash it in for 500 SPG points which was enough so I took that.
If you need a nice clean place to stay that you could walk or take shuttle to airport or you are 2 mins from all the rental cars then this is a nice clean roomy place. I actually love their light bright beachy feeling to their hotel and rooms. There is a Trader Joes also that is very large and nice within 2 miles of the hotel. I now live in Colorado so no Trader Joes right now so when I come to Cali I make the stop there for sure.
Happy Travels!