“Simply the best in San Diego”

The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Ranked #113 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Simply the best in San Diego”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

From check-in to check-out, this place is great. Check-in is fast and efficient and personnel are friendly and knowledgeable. Our room was in perfect condition with a beautiful view of the Marina. The food was also excellent and waitstaff were friendly, helpful and efficient. Although the hotel is just across from the airport, there is no noise at all. I have stayed a fair number of nights in this hotel and the service has always been excellent. I really cannot think of anything negative to say about this place. It is really the best place that we have stayed in San Diego and we will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We have stayed at this property in the past and have enjoyed it. So, when we booked this time we looked foward to the hotel and all that it had to offer. We were very surprised upon check-in to learn that we were moved to an "annex" about 1/3 of a mile away. It was a former Ramada Inn that Sheraton had bought and refurbished. It has no restaurant, no bar, no Starwood floor, no Starwood club lounge and a postage sized pool badly in need of rework.
Every question about food and drink or a shuttle downtown resulted in the same answer, "you have to walk about 15 minutes to the Sheraton for that" and walk back.
We paid top dollar for all of the ammenities and enjoyed none. Not a nice way to treat a long time member of the Starwood "loyalty" program.

Room Tip: Insist on the main hotel
2 Thank Alan K

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed August 23, 2012

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: I originally booked this room months ago & called the hotel to specifically reserve a bay view room. I was told absolutely no problem & they supposedly put a note in the system. Upon checking in, the front desk states "We are at capacity & no longer have bay view rooms but we will give you a marina view" Grrrr..
When we arrive in the room, we noticed right away that the couch has white spattered disgusting looking stuff all over it as well as long blonde hairs on it. I call the front desk to complain & they send up a maid with sheets to cover the couch/chair. When the maid places the sheets over the couch she explains to me that those are not stains I am looking at, those are “clean spots where the fabric has faded” BS!! (Look at the attached pictures!)
Not wanting to argue with this woman & feeling stressed already with what was supposed to be a romantic night away from home, I noticed when she left the sheets had stains too & holes in them! The walls had handprints on them. The lamp in room has a clear base, it looked like it had never been cleaned! The drinking glasses were smudged not clean. The cords from snack case were sticking out all on floor. TO TOP IT OFF, it was extremely noisy from other guests very late at night/early morning hours & we could even hear the flushing of toilets from other rooms! This room was over $150 & I've stayed at cleaner $40 rooms in Vegas than this!
PLUS, parking was $22?!! Every time we left the parking lot, we had to wait for the parking attendant to come let us out because our room key would not scan properly on the "automatic gate" & each time we sat there for several minutes waiting for the parking attendant. For this to be considered a 4 star hotel & part of the Sheraton Hotels & Resorts chain, we were extremely unhappy with our stay & actually disgusted. I left feedback to the hotel on Thursday August 9th & I have not heard from anyone from customer service to even apologize for any inconvenience!! Tacky, very tacky! I’ve enclosed pictures I took with my cell phone for your viewing pleasure!

1 Thank titan0419
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed with you last year and had quite an enjoyable time. This year however was a different story.

I arrived on Saturday afternoon (by train). When I checked in I was informed that the hotel was overbooked and they placed me in the bay tower building. I had to choice to wait for the shuttle which would be 30 minutes or walk over. I chose to walk over. I arrived at the bay tower and I approached the front desk and the agent that I assisted me looked miserable. Her uniform was stained and she was just leaning on the desk. I asked her since I was there for the 1/2 Marathon if the shuttle would pick me up at this location since I got booted from the hotel I originally booked. She said "no". I asked if there was some sort of discount since I was being moved. She said "no". I then pretty much demanded to be sent back to the hotel that I originally booked. I was not going to walk back to the hotel I originally booked at 5am to catch the shuttle. I was grateful that she moved me back to the other hotel but her facial expressions were not necessary.

I got to my room and I was pleased. It was standard, clean nothing really to complain about. The bathroom needs a little updating though. Beds were comfortable and the balcony was nice to sit out on.

Once we got settled in the room we went to your bar to have lunch. Food was just OK along with the service. At one point in time a waitress dropped dirty silverware on the floor and did not go back to pick it up until 15 minutes later. Ewww.

Back up at the room relaxing on the balcony I phoned down to the concierge to see what time the "Carbo Load" dinner was until. They told me "We are not hosting the event it is the Marathon so I do not know." WOW, really? But it is at your hotel? They told me they would find out and call me back. Within 10 minutes they called me back with the answer.

At the carbo load dinner, I was a little disappointed. Last year it was fresh, yummy and I wanted more. This year it was horrible I only went up once and did not even finish what was on my plate. The restaurant was dirty. Stepped on food on the floor and the service was slow for drinks. I asked the young gentlemen where the gift shop was and he had to go ask if they even had a gift shop.

At the gift shop I purchased a few items. The only thing the cashier said to me was "$13.40" no hello, good night, thank you, nothing. I found that very rude.

After the run I asked if we can have a later check out. They graciously gave me until 12:30 and anything after would be $10.00 an hour. When I called down at 12:30 to let them know I would not be going to the desk to check out but I would be leaving I was told "Thank you because we were about to charge you $10.00." What!?

As I mentioned earlier I came on a train but still was charged for parking. I got that removed. I understand that it was a busy weekend for you but your entire staff seemed like they did not like their job. I did not get a "Welcome" or "Enjoy your stay". The only friend encounter I had was from a housekeep that walked by and said "hello" to me.

I did not enjoy my stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Sheraton. Upon arrival we rented a car to for our drive north, when we reached the hotel we asked if we could just leave the car in front, check in quickly and put our bags up in our room because we wanted to go out an explore. The valet employees were really nice and allowed us to do this. The self -park was $22.00 a night, which we opted for. There is a paved lot and then up the hill a non-paved lot, which we had to park in one night because all of the spots were taken in the paved lot. This was not a big deal to us. Our room was just over the pool area to the left looking out into the marina. The décor was very nautical, which I really liked. The linens were very white, soft and fresh as well. Overall, quite updated and definitely had a beach feel. I also really liked how the room had a small patio with two chairs and a table. The pool area was very nice with an outdoor bar/ restaurant. Although we didn't use them, I really liked the idea of the fire pits where you could sit out and relax at night. The gym was definitely the place to be when I went at 7 a.m. They had towels for you and the equipment was up to date. The Starbucks was also a great ouch, especially in the mornings. Internet is free in the lobby and they provide a handful of computers for their guests, which were never really crowded. Through reading the reviews on Trip Advisor (TA), it seems like there are two separate hotels going on here. The Bay and Marina towers are both part of this Sheraton establishment. It appears, again from reading, that one is more updated and what not. If you are truly concerned about the tower you are in, I would either make sure the room you booked is in the more desirable tower or ask upon arrival that you read that one tower was more up to date on TA and you prefer a room in that one. It can’t hurt to ask and then this way the employee at the reception will know that you are a TA contributor! Overall, I thought this hotel was well located and I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again. Enjoy your trip!

Gardner, Kansas
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This hotel is in a pretty location and the lobby is very nice, but the rooms are old and show their age. We stayed in a "deluxe" room with a view of marina. It didn't feel very "deluxe" to me. It was ok, just shabby, and a few things were broken, like the speakerphone by the bed and the drain stopper for the bathtub. We were in town for the AFC half-marathon and I wanted to take a cold bath after the race. Because the bathtub stopper didn't work, we had to stuff it with towels. And hardly any cold water would come out of the faucet, so my boyfriend kept re-filling the ice bucket with water from the sink! It was a little ghetto.

The very tiny balcony had an old metal table a chairs with chipped paint. It didn't feel like the lap of luxury at all.

This hotel was the official hotel of the AFC half-marathon, but you'd almost never know it (except that the race expo was there). The hotel concierge and employees were clueless about the procedure with busing from the hotel to the race start, which was disappointing. I left a message for the concierge asking about the busing procedure and, in response, a copy of the race FAQs was slipped under our door -- which did NOT answer the question I asked in my message. Fortunately, we were able to find the answer elsewhere.

We didn't think the bed was comfortable. I woke up several times during the night and we both complained of backaches.

Self-parking at the hotel is $22 per day. Outrageous. And one of the parking areas is a dirt lot! That is really gouging people.

We ordered room service one night. I had whole wheat penne pasta and prawns, which was ok. My boyfriend had a chicken sandwich, which he said was really good.

Overall, I don't think I'd want to stay here again.

New York, NY
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The Sheraton San Diego is so close to the airport that it's extremely easy and simply for a business trip. In addition, every room has resort, ocean views over the beautiful San Diego harbor, so we were able to enjoy our time at the hotel as if we were on a leisure, island vacation. During my trip also had to be in the downtown area a couple of times and the hotel is also very convenient for that.

The service was wonderful. I was the meeting host and I'm pleased to say that the friendly staff delivered on everything. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business