“Good price, near airport. Showing age.”

The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Ranked #116 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good price, near airport. Showing age.”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

My stay on Sat, April 28, 2011 was a last minute reservation due to a need for an extra night in San Diego, the extreme rate at the Marriott ($325 for an avg room) and a very early a.m. flight necessitating being at the airport at 5am. I found the Sheraton online via Orbitz with same day availability under $200/ni.

Pros: The room was good size. The price was good in comparison to other options. The check-in was easy, fast and they had a room ready at upon early arrival at noon. There were a couple of decent onsite choices for meals (affordable). They have an onsite spa/fitness center - so I could squeeze in a no-frills massage.

Cons: The room was musty smelling and showed plenty of signs of wear and tear. The 'view' was of the parking lot and on the 5th floor it was too easy to hear traffic noise, people talking, etc. The Sheraton wanted to charge a daily rate for internet access (when will SPG group get with the program?? Priority - aka Intercontinentals and Holiday Inns - offer free wi-fi to guests. Great for biz travelers).

Another pro: while it is 'across the street' from the airport - it's still a bit of a hike wheeling luggage. The Sheraton provides shuttle service every 15 mins - even at 5 am. Very convenient for that.

Good, solid property if you aren't looking for anything too fancy and don't mind a little bit of noise.

Room Tip: Choose the Marina side.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed April 29, 2012

The location is ok. For $196 a night I expected more.

The ugly:
$22 to self park in a dirt lot
$15 buffalo nuggets at the bar that made Mc'Ds look good
2 inch gap under the joining room door which allowed noise and smoke to enter our room
No refrigerator in the room
Wi-Fi is not free in the room
Noise from airport
Pool closed at 5pm on Sat night
$7 domestic beer
Staff was indifferent

Save yourself the trouble and $ and book somewhere else.

1 Thank SurfNomad
DanielaDelgado, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear SurNomad,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. We are sorry to learn we did not meet your expectations while staying with us. Although we do not provide refrigerators in our guestrooms, we do deliver them to the rooms at no extra cost upon request. We also provide complimentary WiFi in our lobby along with the Link@Sheraton with PC workstations and free printing to keep our guests connected and for your convenience. We do hope the unexpected Lagoon Pool closure did not cause an inconvenience to you as this matter was outside of the hotel’s control, and that you were able to use one of our other 2 pools on property. We are disappointed to learn of your feedback regarding our staff, and we are interested in learning more details of your stay and connecting with you personally so we may follow up with this matter internally. If you have a moment, please email me at your earliest chance. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will find it helpful for a future stay.
Daniela.Delgado@Sheraton.com

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Alton
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We had a great experience and enjoyed the view of the marina from our room. While there I lost my driver's liscense and two days later I realized it was missing. I phoned the hotel and was connected to lost and found and left a message to please return my call. My call was returned promptly and Nicolas said the liscense had been found. He sent it overnight to my son's home and it arrived by FedEx by 10:30am. I am so grateful for such good service and that Nicolas followed thru as he said. Thank you so much Nicolas, it made the remainder of my trip much easier. I will always remember your kindness and when visiting your city in the future I will be staying at the Sheraton SanDiego Hotel & Marina

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Alice R,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and lovely marina views from your room. We are also glad Nicolas was able to assist you with your missing items and delivered your items so promptly. We will share your kind feedback with him. Thank you again for your 5 Star review and we are looking forward to your future stays with us.
Seattle
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This is definitely a case of the good, bad and the ugly. One one hand, the hotel is located immediately adjacent to the airport, which creates a really terrible situation for many rooms which are subjected to ongoing jet noise. The side of the hotel which faces the airport and the eastern most wing is close to the point of takeoff on the main runway ..so the jet noise starts very early in the morning (6-7AM) and continues to late at night (11-12pm). If you really want peace and quiet, don't choose this hotel!!! I have stayed at airport hotels in other parts of the world, and this is the worst example I know of. The one saving grace for this location may be a view, if you happen to have a room facing the bay, you can enjoy a nice view of the marina and downtown San Diego skyline.
There are numerous other service issues which plague this hotel, ranging from inadequate attention to staffing at the front desk (particularly for Starwood Preferred guests) which lead to overly long waits for handling any issue, problems with daily room service for upkeep of rooms, and problems with card key access to the rooms. It turned out that I needed to get my room key cards reissued every day, since almost every day they stopped working for unknown reasons.
Security finally decided to change the entire lock on the door to solve the problem! Most of the staff are in need of additional training. For club level guests, morning food service is monotonous and only of average quality.

Room Tip: request bay view and western most wing.
Dear drwizardsea,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. We are disappointed to learn of the drawbacks you experienced while staying with us. Being located in close proximity to the San Diego Airport makes for an easy commute in our complimentary shuttle, but unfortunately does make for some airport related noise that can normally be avoided by closing the balcony doors in the guestrooms. We are interested in connecting with you to learn more details of the service challenges you mentioned and your room number to research the noise levels you experienced. If you have a moment, please email me at Daniela.Delgado@Sheraton.com. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to hear from you soon.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This is a very nice property close to the airport and by a marina in lovely San Diego.
My husband and I have stayed here on previous occasions - usually overnighting before a cruise.
This trip we spent 7 days at the hotel with a room overlooking the marina. Previous reviewers are correct that there are two distinct properties so advised to check which one is most suitable.
As it is a little out of the downtown area - you either need to rent a car (but be forewarned overnight on site parking is $22.00 per night) or take the shuttle to the airport which runs frequently and is 7 minutes away and then catch the 992 city bus which takes you by the cruise ships and then turns to downtown and the trolley connections. Its fun if you don't mind public transportation and for $5.00 you can purchase a day pass which you can even use to get to Sea World/the wonderful Zoo or Mission Beach.
The service at the hotel is very good - the front desk personnel were always friendly.
If you have a breakfast package you do get a breakfast buffet daily. The staff there varies and the service isn't great. But for OJ, coffee and a croissant its fine.
The main hotel has a beautiful pool and complete fitness centre. The other hotel has a pool
but the fitness centre is undergoing renovations and will be reopening in the future.
All in all this is a great spot for visiting San Diego and area. If you can get a reasonable rate and are staying long enough to get the special breakfast buffet its a good deal for the area.

Room Tip: There was some noise as there are lots of groups staying there and they come and go. But overall th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear karlowsj,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us during your San Diego getaway. Taking our complimentary shuttle to the airport to catch the city bus is a great way to explore the city so we are glad you took this option. Thank you again for your comments and we hope you will visit us again for a future stay.
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I work for Sheraton Hotel myself, and I absolutely loved this hotel..its in a such a beautiful location, the view from my room and plus from the entire hotel was amazing! I was upgraded to 12th floor with the club lounge access which was fantastic with a great breakfast every morning. Elsa, from the club lounge was so friendly and nice. The service was outstanding. Helpful staff and very accommodating. Mark (i believe his name was) from the front desk was very friendly, had good sense of humor and extremely helpful. I will definitely come back if I ever visit San Diego again.

Room Tip: Marina tower, higher floor is a plus. However, view is amazing from any location of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Pinar B,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, including out location, Club Lounge, and friendly associates. Thank you for mentioning Mark and Elsa. We will share your kind comments with them and they will be very pleased to know they made your stay special. Thank you again for your recommendation and we are looking forward to your future visits.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I travel to San Diego often on business and finally settled on the Sheraton Marina as my home base when in the city. The staff has always treated me well and I look forward to my visits as this has become something of a second home for me. I could stay at another Sheraton in the downtown area, but I really like coming out onto the balcony and either looking out over the marina, or the city lights, depending on which side of the hotel I am on. The standard king size rooms are more spacious than a number of the other San Diego hotels I have stayed at and the beds are quite comfy. I feel more like I am on vacation, not working, when I walk into the room.

Although the restaurant doesn't ever seem to crowded I really like the food; the pork loin, ahi stack and scallops are my favorite.

Room Tip: Sometimes the airport can be pretty noisy when planes start taking off at 6am. Usually, this has on...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business