“It is getting worked on as of May 2014. Not a bad place, but nothino I would want to stay at for pleasure.”

Four Points by Sheraton San Diego
Ranked #206 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The hotel is very is to find. A little tigt getting in and out of with a car. It is right on the highway and right next to the airport landing approach. If you are into planes or have kids, it is kind of cool to watch the planes come by and land. Noise wasn't bad despite location. If you are interested it Little Italy it is a great spot. Farmers Market is a must if there on the right day for it.
Breakfast isn't bad, but crowded. This hotel seems popular with pilots and crew (not by their own choices). This hotel is a good value if you want to be in the city.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 22, 2014

On arrival to hotel it was obvious that it was being rehabilitated. This used to be a Holiday Inn a while back. It is one of those odd round hotels. The reception parking is impossibly cramped and has only 2 spaces. The lobby was shrouded in fresh gypsum board and under construction with much power-tool noise. Parking deck below the hotel is cramped and difficult due to the fact that cars are generally shaped like rectangles and the parking slots are pie shaped with pillars all over the place. The rooms are also pie shaped and were generally decent aside from the following:

> There are literally NO outlets available. I had to move furniture and unplug lamps/alarm clock to plug in my various chargers for phone/computer etc.

> There is an armoire to hang things in since there is no closet but the safe inside the armoire is immediately beneath the rack so that not even shirts hang without being inhibited on the safe. Poor planning here.

> The toilet is a low-boy and is round not oblong. This may not sound like a big deal but I found it irritating and reminded me of what it must be like to accidentally sit on a toddler's potty chair.

> The pillows and beds were rough and cheap. Hampton Inn has the right idea with those items... this place not so much.

> The office chair at the desk was in disrepair and had rips in it

The restaurant was closed as well and they tried to accommodate by converting a meeting room on the top level to a breakfast nook. While this was a nice thought, the room could not at all accommodate all patrons and was cramped with over-flowing garbage cans. That said, we had a nice view of the airport.

I'll not be staying here again. Mainly because it is far from the convention center and takes about 25 minutes to walk there requiring me to drive. Also, it is situated on 2 one way roads and I-5 so that you have to drive away from the downtown area to then turn around and head back into town. This place is a real mess.

ATTN: All staff I encountered were very polite and apologetic for the short-comings and even comped my parking fees ($60 for 3 days).

There is a small pool for lounging although it is deafening since it is 2 feet off a 6 lane highway.

Room Tip: Choose one that is not in this hotel...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The hotel is off the beaten pass but it's still a central location to all SD locations. The hotel is a strange set up it looks like an old converted office medical building. Moreover, the hotel has a nightclub some days and a ton of events at night , so the lobby is loud. Rooms are nice and staff was nice. Overall good business hotel and average for family.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California, USA
Reviewed May 11, 2014

After reading many tripadvisor reviews I was very hesitant to stay here but it was only for one night over the weekend. I read what other people wrote, so I called beforehand to insure that we would be able to have a newly renovated room. We arrived at 10:00 PM and didn't have trouble finding parking in the lot, checked in and received a renovated room. The room was pretty nice by average Starwood hotel properties and for only 3,000 points I thought it was a great deal. We went to sleep at midnight and awoke at 2:00 AM to people partying and talking very loudly in the hallway nearby, they were going in and out of their room and the door slamming shut was so loud it would jolt us out of our sleep continuously. Finally, after not being able to sleep due to the noise, I called the front desk at 3:15 AM and asked the guy if he could ask the room to keep it down. I was awake on and off throughout the entire night and didn't finally fall asleep until 4:00 AM. These people were SO loud, and the closing of the door continued on. The blinds also didn't close all the way so when the sun rose it was pretty bright in our room. The bathroom seemed newly renovated and the water pressure was great however, water got all over the entire bathroom floor! Overall, I would not stay there again but if you're using points, it seems like a decent value for the stay but note that the walls are paper thin and you can hear other rooms toilet flushing and noises throughout the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca Z
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This particular property had several issues both good & bad. Upon entering the building for a major entertainment convention I had to find the front desk, which was not manned. Once a person came out from the back office the initial process was extremely easy. The front desk clerk was courteous well informed, and handled his job efficiently. Once in my room on a day when the outside temperature was 93, I found the air conditioning off. I set the thermostat to 67, unpacked and went downstairs to register for the convention.

The restaurant had very good fresh food, the service was poor but this was due to mismanagement and not the servers attitude. 2 people on staff for a hotel property that maintained a major convention was just not enough servers. The restaurant closed between 2pm and 5pm each day (which made NO SENSE) especially based on the amount of people in the hotel.

Amazingly the Internet service stopped working on the first day and NEVER was fixed. This was a very bad thing for an over flow hotel during a convention. Some people had bought internet cards from their telephone provider and that was the only saving grace.

During my stay I saw a little old man (maybe 90 years old) sitting in the corner of the lobby every day. I wondered who this gentleman was for he just sat and watched the young girls. Just before I left one of the staff told me that he was the owner .

Finally the property is old and can use a complete makeover.

Room Tip: Only three floors with multiple wings, choose your room based on your hotel activity.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Leo A
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I apologize for the major inconvenience we caused you with our internet being down. We were working on it diligently and unfortunately could not get it back up during your stay. This has been fixed. I will discuss your comments in our next team meeting to ensure we are providing quality customer service that our guests deserve. Thank you.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I booked two rooms for my family vacation - one room for my old parents and one for myself and kids for 5 days.

We arrived around midnight on April 28. The first room had toilet water overflowing the whole night which made annoying noise. I realized the on the second day that my parents room had sink drainage issue. The maintenance guy came to bang the plumbing system for 2 hours when my parents were having nap time . The bathroom was a big mess when the vanity sink was fixed so I have to call the house keeper to do the cleanup.

The worst situation was the hotel sponsored big single party on Wednesday night and a big drip show party on Friday night. The parties made huge noises until 2 am. We could not fall asleep on the 3rd floor room.

Stayed May 2014
I regret to hear that your family vacation was disrupted by plumbing issues in your room and noise from the events happening on property. Thank you for bringing both to my attention. If you choose to give us another opportunity to provide a more positive experience, please reach out to me directly. I hope the rest of your family vacation was enjoyable. Miguel Pulido – General Manager, mpulido@fourpointssandiego.us
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My initial experience with this hotel started off horrendously. I checked in at the front desk around 1:30pm and was told that they had no king-bed rooms ready (I'm just a single business traveler hosting a full day's worth of meetings in their Pavilion and had requested a king-bed room). I was told that there were 2 double-bed rooms ready and was assigned a room on the 3rd floor. When I opened the door of my room I was shocked that the A/C for this room was off and it must have been over 80 degrees inside. I called downstairs to the front desk and was told that they have no idea when they assign rooms whether the A/C is turned on or off for any particular room, and that the room would cool down quickly in about 10 minutes. So I started unpacking while turning the thermostat down to 61 degrees (the lowest the thermostat will go).

I should have realized that there would be no way for the room to be cooled down quickly - the A/C unit is an old in-the-wall unit, not central A/C. After 20 minutes with no appreciable lowering of room temperature I called back down to the front desk and they said that they would send Maintenance up to take a look. They did ask if I wanted to move rooms but by this time I had already unpacked, and didn't want to re-pack again. The Maintenance man came and looked at the unit; stating that it was performing at optimal efficiency, and that the room should cool down in about 30 minutes.

After 45 minutes there was only slight lowering of temperature. Frustrated, I decided to go run errands. Returning after a couple of hours, the room was just barely bearable. During the entire 2 night stay the room never really cooled down well. It is unbelievable that the hotel would not adopt a simple system of calling Housekeeping to turn on the A/C to an assigned room. Even if just a couple of minutes before the guest arrives to the room, at least the impression that the A/C was turned on would be better than to simply walk in to a room over 80 degrees. It seems like a hotel trying to save on their electricity bill in expense of guest comfort and satisfaction is not a winning strategy.

With regard to meetings space, the hotel's Pavilion is very nice - slightly made up for the dated and hot lodging room. The Pavilion is an actual separate building, specifically designed for hosting events. But even here I was surprised by one thing - the Pavilion is not acoustically-designed for events using microphones and house sound speakers. The vaulted ceiling of the building actually creates a hollow reverberation if an attendee sits in the center section.

The catered food was very good. Unfortunate that I cannot give a better overall rating.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business