“dated hotel needs more focus on service”

Four Points by Sheraton San Diego
Ranked #210 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My initial experience with this hotel started off horrendously. I checked in at the front desk around 1:30pm and was told that they had no king-bed rooms ready (I'm just a single business traveler hosting a full day's worth of meetings in their Pavilion and had requested a king-bed room). I was told that there were 2 double-bed rooms ready and was assigned a room on the 3rd floor. When I opened the door of my room I was shocked that the A/C for this room was off and it must have been over 80 degrees inside. I called downstairs to the front desk and was told that they have no idea when they assign rooms whether the A/C is turned on or off for any particular room, and that the room would cool down quickly in about 10 minutes. So I started unpacking while turning the thermostat down to 61 degrees (the lowest the thermostat will go).

I should have realized that there would be no way for the room to be cooled down quickly - the A/C unit is an old in-the-wall unit, not central A/C. After 20 minutes with no appreciable lowering of room temperature I called back down to the front desk and they said that they would send Maintenance up to take a look. They did ask if I wanted to move rooms but by this time I had already unpacked, and didn't want to re-pack again. The Maintenance man came and looked at the unit; stating that it was performing at optimal efficiency, and that the room should cool down in about 30 minutes.

After 45 minutes there was only slight lowering of temperature. Frustrated, I decided to go run errands. Returning after a couple of hours, the room was just barely bearable. During the entire 2 night stay the room never really cooled down well. It is unbelievable that the hotel would not adopt a simple system of calling Housekeeping to turn on the A/C to an assigned room. Even if just a couple of minutes before the guest arrives to the room, at least the impression that the A/C was turned on would be better than to simply walk in to a room over 80 degrees. It seems like a hotel trying to save on their electricity bill in expense of guest comfort and satisfaction is not a winning strategy.

With regard to meetings space, the hotel's Pavilion is very nice - slightly made up for the dated and hot lodging room. The Pavilion is an actual separate building, specifically designed for hosting events. But even here I was surprised by one thing - the Pavilion is not acoustically-designed for events using microphones and house sound speakers. The vaulted ceiling of the building actually creates a hollow reverberation if an attendee sits in the center section.

The catered food was very good. Unfortunate that I cannot give a better overall rating.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank oceanpalace
There are newer reviews for Four Points by Sheraton San Diego

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Well this is not a great hotel. Location is absolutely terrible. Between highways and a gas station, it is challenging to find something less appealing...
The pool is 5 meters away from the gas station.
Room was okay. Nothing fancy or spectacular but it was OK and clean. Bed was comfortable.
Free wifi included. Free breakfast.
Hotel was undergoing renovations when we went.
Cheap price is line with poor location and renovation work.

Room Tip: Location terrble
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 367PierreA
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

If you have a moment and wouldn’t mind reaching out, I would like to discuss this further as we are not renovating our hotel at this time. I hope the rest of your stay in San Diego was enjoyable. Miguel Pulido, General Manager, mpulido@fourpointssandiego.us

Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

This is the first SPG property where I personally felt degraded! I'm very aware of the difference of perception and reality. I personally observed all of the staff after both isolated incidences and to my amazement they treated everyone else differently than my business partners and I. I've always been a fan of SPG over other hotel brands because the hospitality is exceptional, especially if your a member. Upon checking in we were put in a basic room and were there were no upgrades available. I double checked to see of that were true by calling SPG and that wasn't true. I told I wasn't added to the reservation (even though I knew I was personally added because we booked through our personal concierge) and if I weren't they wouldn't give me the option to just add myself at the desk. But I didn't harp on it. I called Armani back and asked was she sure their were no upgrades available and I was told no. We weren't offered an amenity or given SPG experience of checking in as a Platinum guest. The tv was pixilated, the sheets were dingy, and the room was stuffy. The next morning I asked if breakfast was complimentary just to see the policy at this particular hotel, Maria said that she needs to speak to the Platinum member before discussing that with me. Personally out of 160 SPG stays I've never heard that before. She said if our last names matched she could tell me. I was unaware that I had to married to hear if breakfast was complimentary to our stay. We met out business partner at breakfast and the staff was very accommodating. Consuleo and Ruth kept reiterating that our breakfast was free and we had to eat at the breakfast buffet, which isn't true. At every SPG property I've been too, platinum guest have the choice of the breakfast buffet or something on the menu of equal or lesser value. Ruth purposely didn't come to our table to check on us, I had to flag her down to get water, and she seemed annoyed by our presence. I observed her checking on all her tables except ours and topping off drinks and asking about the food quality, we barely got eye contact. All of the staff needs a refresher course on hospitality and what it means to be in the hospitality business. I left my name and contact for the GM to get in contact with me before I left for a business meeting and I hope he does. We booked an eleven day stay with this hotel and I couldn't imagine dealing with this for 10 more days.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Lisa B

I apologize for the experience you had at our property. I will be going over your comments with our associates in our next team meeting to ensure all of our SPG guests feel welcome at our hotel. I’m sorry we could not connect sooner. Please reach out to me directly so I can make this right. Miguel Pulido, General Manager, mpulido@fourpointssandiego.us

Reviewed April 2, 2014

This hotel is in a great location in San Diego. The accomodations are a bit dated, the place has a very 'institutional' feel. I wish the jacuzzi would have been working, that would have my stay much better. I am glad I was able to use my Starpoints for this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your feedback. We apologize that the hot tub was out of order during your stay. We are working on plans to update our guest rooms. We hope to see you again the next time you are in San Diego. Take care!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We chose this hotel because we had Starwood points. This hotel is nothing fancy but it is clean and is very close to all the attractions.We had breakfast at the restaurant and it was very good! The pool area was nice and the large hot tub was very relaxing.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank LuvenLife
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I have stayed at this location 5 times in the last 9 months. This last trip was horrible! There was a Friday night concert in which the concertgoers took over the parking lot. I had to drive around for 20 minutes to find a spot. People were drinking in their cars and trucks like it was a tailgating party. There were people running up and down the halls and smoking directly at exits. My kids love the pool but were afraid to leave the room! No General Manager is on duty over the weekend. There was no added security, no signs for concertgoers to park in another area of the parking lot (although I was told by the front desk that there were signs). I was told that my complaint would get a response on Monday....Friday I called, because there was no response. The hotel did return points for one room for night. But I had 2 rooms, and I feel that more should have been done. I am headed to San Diego this weekend, but will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

We regret to hear that your fifth stay at the hotel did not meet your expectations from your previous stays with us. We always have a manager on duty and I apologize if they were not helpful in this situation. We value your loyalty to Four Points San Diego over the last nine months. Please reach out to me directly so we can make this right. Miguel, General Manager, mpulido@fourpointssandiego.us

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for an exam and was extremely disappointed by the rooms. The televisions were outdated, the lighting in the room was poor, and the carpets seemed to be holding in a very old smell. However, the front desk staff were very nice and helpful. There is a shuttle that can take you to selected locations which was convenient since I didn't have a car. It isn't a horrible hotel but for the price I expected far better than I received.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank vetadst5

We are pleased to hear that our associates were helpful and met your needs. Thank you for your feedback regarding your guest room. We are looking into options for updating our guest room furniture.