“Good and Bad” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #174 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
New York State
“Good and Bad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2007

I stayed here for 2 nights and that was enough. I was out all day sightseeing so I didn't need a better class hotel.
Pros: could walk a few blocks to restaurants, shopping, trolley tour, etc.,free continental breakfast, private balcony,deli across the street at a Condo complex.(sells everything!)
Cons: sink was not in the bathroom (it was next to the door as you walk inside room)

• Liked — inexpensive
  • Disliked — sink was not in bathroom
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
DaysInnSDOwner, Owner at Days Inn San Diego/Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, February 20, 2009
Thank you very much for your comments. We endeavor to make each guest's stay as comfortable as possible, and your feedback is greatly appreciated. We hope that you will consider staying with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2006

I usually stay at a much cheaper hotel in San Diego, but when I saw the Days Inn at $59, I jumped. The place was fabulous, really only a few small steps (bad breakfast, lukewarm customer service) away from a 4 star hotel. (Yeah, I know it's a Days Inn!) The furnishings were beautiful, the lighting was great, the view was fabulous, the bed and pillows comfy, and there's plenty of room. So I swore my loyalty to this new hotel, then went back to book it for my next trip two weeks later, and discovered it was now $119, double the old price.

Is it worth that price? Probably, if that's your budget. But I would guess that you wouldn't choose Days Inn first at that price. Bear in mind that the San Diego hotel market is terribly tight, and even bad rooms command a high price here...

But if you see it again at $59, book it, you'll be thrilled.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Surly desk clerk, poor breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — Book it if you can find it cheap...
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Jon P
Thank you very much for your feedback. We do apologize if your experience with our front desk staff did not meet your expectations. We are constantly evaluating our staff with an eye towards improving customer service. We look forward to serving you in the future.
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2006

Booked via Expidia at about 2 pm. Turned up at 5 pm all went smoothly.

Got a balcony that was the only motel room I had in the USA with one.

Clean but basic

Toilet flush very very loudly but that is my only complaint.

Would go back.

Stayed March 2006
Thank you very much for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to seeing you in the future.
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2006

I stayed at the Days Inn during ComiCon (the huge comic book convention) but was not attending the convention nor did I really know much about it before I arrived in San Diego. For this reason, I think the Days Inn (as well as many other hotels) took advantage of the influx of visitors to the San Diego area, and as a result substantially inflated their prices.

Nevertheless, the room was not worth what I paid for it; it was worth 1/2 that at most. Also, when I called to ask for directions to the hotel, someone by the name of Francis answered the phone and could not for the life of him give me directions to the hotel from a car rental place near the airport. I was so frustrated thinking, "how can this guy man the front desk of a well-known hotel by the airport, and not know or at least try to help me get directions from the Alamo down the street?" He was so unhelpful, and so unwilling to help that I was thoroughly disgusted. This feeling was only exacerbated by the high price of the room, the bright neon light that radiated from the large screen tv in my room (that kept me buzzing all night), the constant drone of some running truck motor in the parking lot, and the loud electrifying noise of a shower going on nearby at 5 in the morning.

So in essence, the walls were too thin, the rooms were over-priced, and the staff was not helpful or willing to help. So don't put yourself through this uncomfortable experience, and find some where else to stay. I would have done the same if everything else wasn't already booked up due to the conference.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank surfbudha
We do apologize for not meeting your expectations. As you know, supply and demand dictates our pricing strategy, and Comic Con is an event which draws thousands of people from around the world.

We have not employed anyone by the name of Francis, but do apologize if our front desk staff did not accommodate your needs. We are constantly evaluating our front desk staff with an eye towards improving the guest experience. As for noise complaints, they are largely a function of guests in adjacent rooms. Rest assured that we take your feedback seriously.

We hope that you will consider us for a future stay.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Phoenix AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2005

The room was cheap. There was no parking available, had to park on the street and walk. The bed was uncomfortable, and extremely small. You could hear everyone else who stayed there. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed April 2005
2 Thank pacweaver
We do apologize that our property did not meet your expectations. We are one of the few downtown San Diego properties with free parking, and it is always our goal to accommodate all of our guests. We have recently renovated all of our rooms, and hope that you will give us another chance in the future.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2005

When I found out that I was staying at a Days Inn for a large convention that I was attending in Downtown San Diego, I was disappointed. When I got to the hotel, though, I was pleasantly surprised. The desk staff was so great and they don't nickle and dime you like the big hotels. I had free internet access and free parking...what a savings!! I really thought the location was great and I was able to walk to anywhere I wanted to go. Some of my associates stayed closer to the Gaslamp and ended up spending almost three times as much as me with parking and tipping and everything else. I'll take the Days Inn next year when I come back. They even said when I come back I can call directly and they will give me a special rate for my return visit. I was VERY happy.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you very much for your review. We constantly strive to offer outstanding value to our guests through free continental breakfast, free parking, and free wireless internet. We look forward to your future stay.
London Ont.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2005

Booked not knowing that this rate on internet was too high plus they charged for a safe I did not use plus it is an old place being renovated. Noise level from courtyard high on the weekend there. Paid more for this room than any of the other two locations in San Diego we stayed in.Was the poorest for location and quality.
Also only place that charged to use email. Look around before booking.

• Stayed February 2005
9 Thank norm1932
We do apologize that our property did not meet your expectations. We have since revised our policy regarding the in-room safe. As for our free internet policy, guests who bring their own laptop are free to connect at their leisure, while we do offer a computer in the lobby for guest use at a nominal fee. We hope that you will consider staying with us in the future.