“San Diego Trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn San Diego/Downtown/Convention Center

Days Inn San Diego/Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #177 of 281 Hotels in San Diego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Erial
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

At check in, I questioned the front desk agent why my card was authorized in advance for both my room for two nights as well as colleagues - Almost 500.00 in authorizations. I asked if that was a a Wyndham policy or solely Days Inn. He went on to tell me about the hotel needing to protect itself again people who supply bad credit cards, etc. I proceeded to tell him that I have never had that happen with any other hotels I have stayed at. He proceeded to argue with me when I continued to question him and express my dissatisfaction. My card was only used to guarantee the rooms and I check in appropriately and was not a "no-show". In fact, my colleague used her card to pay for all nights for both rooms. The agent told me not to worry as it was only an authorization and it would fall off my card- not the point - Your hotel tied up 500.00 of my credit line that I was unable to use for other travel expenses. I checked out on Monday 8/4 and in fact, the hold did not come off of my card until Thursday 8/7. In essence you tied up that amount on my card from the day before my arrival - 8/1 until 8/7. This is not a policy that envokes outstanding guest service. I do understand, trust me, that the hotel needs to protect itself financially, but at the risk of chasing guests away? Guest always change their form of payment at check out and they should have that option without worrying about tying up all of their credit on two different cards, especially if they have a longer stay and room bill. If I wanted to pay for the room up front I would have went on line to an OTA and paid a cheaper price for the room. Furthermore, I did not see anywhere (and maybe I missed it) when I booked the room that my card would be pre-authorized for the total room and tax prior to my arrival - if so, I would probably not have booked this hotel. The only information I saw was that my card would be charged if I did not cancel per the cancellation policy.

The hotel is unfortunately tired and the staff overall was not very friendly. The wireless was down most of the time and never was repaired before I checked out on Monday morning. While the room was tired and dated, I do want to give housekeeping credit for delivering a clean room - I really appreciate that.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Location
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 stars

1 Thank Jeff L
DaysInnSDOwner, Owner at Days Inn San Diego/Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
We are sorry that your stay was less than satisfactory. Your use of the term "OTA" suggests a deeper understanding of the travel industry than most, as many would not know that OTA is the acronym for Online Travel Agent. While we could argue the merits of booking directly (guaranteed lowest rate, pay when you stay, Wyndham Reward points, best cancellation policy) versus an OTA reservation (pay up front, often times to cancellation allowed, no Wyndham Reward points), given the tens of thousands of guests we serve each year, yours is the first complaint regarding our billing practices. It goes without saying that many, if not most, other properties employ the same procedure.

We do appreciate your business, and hope that we see you again the next time you visit San Diego.
Heber City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights. Price was right for what we got. Breakfast was normal continental breakfast minus the hot waffles. Room was clean and front desk was very helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We especially appreciate your comments as they pertain to value, cleanliness, and our helpful front desk staff. Our entire staff prides itself on creating a relaxing and comfortable atmosphere for every guest.

We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to San Diego. And remember, always book directly at daysinn.com or by calling 619-239-2285 to get the best rate, best cancellation policy, and Wyndham Reward points!
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is a very run-down, very old MOTEL and I was embarrassed to stay there this time. We paid $135/night PLUS $15 parking. Pros: Nice beds & free basic breakfast. Great staff and everything is spotlessly clean. (Shout-out to Housekeeping!) Cons: It's on a super-steep hill with awkward in & out in their tiny parking lot with only ONE entrance. They never used to charge for parking, which made it a nice bargain, since you sacrificed staying somewhere nice. Their standard answer is "every hotel in downtown S.D. charges for parking." (But other hotels are real hotels -- and I resent paying for parking at ANY hotel, frankly. Ludicrous! Shame on Marriott. They started this wretched rip-off.) This motel is also next to NOTHING. You can't walk to a restaurant or buy a bottle of water nearby. I also don't recall it being by a fire station, but there were sirens nonstop. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Carol S
DaysInnSDOwner, Owner at Days Inn San Diego/Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us. While we always appreciate seeing repeat guests, your review leaves us a little confused. We do appreciate you noting our helpful front desk staff and excellent housekeeping. Friendly service and spotless rooms are the foundation for any quality property. We have continually strived to improve our guest experience, and your positive comments regarding the comfort of our pillow top mattresses seems to validate these efforts.

Most of the negative remarks seem to stem from your frustration over paying for parking at ANY property, not just ours. We were probably the last holdout in the downtown area to start charging for parking, and we make a conscience effort to offer the lowest daily rate of any downtown property. In addition, not only are several restaurants and a convenience store within easy walking distance, we actually sell bottled water at the front desk for the convenience of our guests.

While your review states that you will not be coming back, we hope that this response to your review will convince you otherwise. And remember, always book directly at daysinn.com or by calling 619-239-2285 to get the best rate, best cancellation policy, and Wyndham Reward points!
Torrance
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We have stayed at Days Inn for a number of years when attending a Padres' game. Staff have always been pleasant, but the last 2 times breakfast has been lacking in quality. Paying to park has become an irritation personally.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

DaysInnSDOwner, Owner at Days Inn San Diego/Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you very much for your continued patronage! We especially like seeing familiar faces year after year. We hope that you noticed the new flat screen TVs as well as some of the other enhancements we have made over the years.

As it pertains to the breakfast, we do apologize if it did not meet your satisfaction. The Days Inn brand is continually evaluating the breakfast menu, hoping to find the right combination. As for the parking, every single downtown hotel charges for parking, and we strive to offer the lowest daily parking rate in the area.

Thanks once again for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit San Diego. And remember, always book directly at daysinn.com or by calling 619-239-2285 to get the best rate, best cancellation policy, and Wyndham Reward points!