“I was so happy with our choice”

Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
Ranked #113 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Corona, California
“I was so happy with our choice”
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I have to say we totally enjoyed our stay at the Doubletree. When we arrived everyone at the front desk was happy & helpful. We booked 3 rooms and they worked hard to give us the view and the rooms on the same floor. The rooms were exceptionally clean. We actually liked the walk down to the Gas Lamp district we didn't feel it was to far at all. So over all can't say one bad thing about our stay.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kwilkes
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
Dear Kwilke,

Thank you so much for choosing us to be a part of your trip to San Diego. We appreciate all your comments and hope to see you next time your visits bring you back.

Take Care,
Doubletree Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Southern California
Reviewed February 22, 2011

This hotel was presented as a 3.5 star but I would suggest this is an over-rating. Narrow parking spaces and ramps resulting in not being able to park a full sized import in a slot; if you drive a full size SUV you may want to avoid this parking garage. The front desk was helpful and friendly. One of the guest elevators seemed to be shut-off. We were offered a nice location 21st floor room. Our view was mostly south but some west view. I recommend avoiding rooms facing east or north because of the freeway noise and view. The room was very well cleaned but only had a NTSC analog TV which of course resulted in a somewhat truncated image. Kudos to the housekeeping staff. Wireless internet was free; could not connect to the wired/secure internet.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the feedback about your stay. I am very sorry about the quality and difficulty of our parking structure, it can be a little tricky to navigate.
I will share with my staff all your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us how we did. Hope to see you next time your visit brings you back to San Diego.

St. Louis
Reviewed February 12, 2011

I'm typically pretty happy with a Doubletree, but this one wasn't spectacular. My husband, who is very laid-back and isn't into frills made mentions of not liking this hotel. As many have said, the parking is very narrow, but it's fine to navigate, just takes an extra minute or two to get in and out. The rooms were okay, but there appeared to be some plumbing or pipe issues due to the LOUD bubbling noise that occurred after running any water in our room or the nearby rooms - which affected sleep quality. The location is close to Little Italy so that's nice if you're wanting to go there, but is a bit of a walk to get to the heart of downtown/Gaslamp so had to drive and pay for parking again to get down there. It was nice to have free Wifi that was pretty good. In general, just average, nothing too sketchy, but nothing too exciting either.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MEL1103
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed January 25, 2011

This is my first review but as a Hilton Diamond Member (and spending a lot of time in Hilton branded hotels), I was compelled to write this. I have to say you can do better. In my opinion, this hotel is aged, poorly managed and not in that great of a location (too far from the Gaslamp District and too close to the highway). Nearly every hotel you visit you can find a flaw. And usually you take that in perspective with the overall experience. But this hotel, the flaws add up quick and the list is long. The other Doubletrees in the area are better in every regard. Oh, and I have to give a nod to the bed. All Doubletrees have great beds!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Brent C
Texas
Reviewed December 15, 2010

I found the Doubletree Downtown to be exactly what you would expect. It looks and acts like a typical Doubletree. The rooms were nice, the location was good, we got warm cookies when we arrived (yum). The front desk staff was nice, but not overly helpful. Overall we had a good stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank FeetDontFailMeNow
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, December 21, 2010
Dear FeetDontFailMeNow,

Thank you for the comments you provided to us. We appreciate that you took the time to give us your feedback. We hope to see you next time your visit brings you back to San Diego whether it is for business or vacation.

Doubletree Management.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed December 7, 2010

The staff was pleasant, the room was clean, the pool area was clean and well stocked with towels. Roomservice was on time (food was hot and tasty). Downtown loaction is great and the staff was knowleage with directions.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank pms4109
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
To our vauled guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments and observations on your recent stay at Doubletree San Diego Downtown. Whether positive or negative, all comments are taken very seriously. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to let us know that you and your family had a good time staying with us. We'll look forward to your return!

Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Very old building made feel unconfortable, parking is 20 dollars and very narrow hard to enter and exit, the staff did not want to make my AAA discount and charged me some other stupid fees, one tub was clogged, the place made me feel I just gave my money away. I will never return to this place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank nestofox
Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for your feedback. Without feedback from our guests we are not able to ensure that we are providing the level of service they are accustom to. I also want to apologize for the inconveniences you've experienced during your stay. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with the Front Desk and Maintenance managers.They have made corrective changes to ensure that future guests do not have the same experience you did.

We hope that this experience does not deter you from staying with us again.