“Clean but definitely lacking”

Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
Ranked #111 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
South Carolina
“Clean but definitely lacking”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed 5 nights at this location, we were in town for a family function. Booking the room to begin with was an inconvenience, because apparently their computer system won't handle different room rates. We had to have two separate reservations, which required 3 different phone calls to get correct.
Our plane was delayed and I called from the tarmac @ Dulles to tell the Doubletree that it would be 1am before we arrived. "No problem" they said. "We'll be waiting on you". When we finally arrived @ 12:30, we called for the shuttle and was informed that they don't run that late, we'd have to take a taxi.
After finally arriving, straightening out our reservation again (I thought), we made it to our room a little after 1am. The ocean view faced the airport, and a small sliver of bay that we had to step outside to see. The extra towels I'd requested ahead of time were not there. Something had been ripped off the wall in the bathroom. I'm not sure if it was a towel rack or a picture. Either way, all that was left was broken pieces embedded in the wall.
The room was clean and spacious. The bed and pillows were comfortable., Plenty of hangers, drawer space and the hair dryer and iron were clean and worked. The restaurant buffet breakfast was very good but like the front desk, the service was lacking. We ate there 3 days, and I never got a coffee refill unless we got up and got it ourselves.
The Doubletree Downtown is in an excellent location on the edge of Little Italy. Within walking distance of many restaurants and the bay area.
That is the last nice thing I am able to say about the Doubletree Downtown San Diego. The water pressure and water heaters in this hotel are horrendous. 20 minutes to heat up the shower, and even then you were taking chances. No water pressure on the 16th floor, the temperature of the water would change randomly from scalding to cold. I didn't take a single comfortable shower the entire trip. Our last morning, my 4am shower was lukewarm, and that's the best I got.
I never got warm water in the sink, only cold. I tried to let the front desk know that they had an issue, and was told that they were aware.
We had to have our room keys redone 3 separate times. They'd just stop working. The balcony sliding glass door kept going off track.
Because we were there for family, we did not spend a great deal of time in the room, or I probably would have made a bigger deal about the problems and maybe I should have but frankly, it was more hassle than it was worth at the time.
The amenities booklet in the room advertises the airport shuttle from 5am til midnight. When I asked to reserve 2 spots on their 5am shuttle, I was told that they didn't have one. I was told 5:15 was the earliest. Later that evening, I asked again. This time I was told that the earliest was 5:30. If I needed earlier, we'd have to take a taxi.
The next morning I went down at 4:40am to ask them to order us a taxi. The desk clerk did call, but then said she couldn't guarantee it at 5am?
As we left the building with our luggage at 4:55, not a single taxi. But wait! The hotel shuttle, the one that didn't leave at 5am was loading up to take flight crew to the airport and we were able to catch it. It left promptly at 5am. The driver said he made that run every morning.
Some of it controllable, some of it not, but very strange customer service. I think we'll stay elsewhere on our next visit to San Diego.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This hotel is nicely located in downtown San Diego. There was a nice farmers market nearby on the Saturday we were there. There are also a number of good restaurants and bars nearby. The room was clean and spacey, the only complaint I have is there was no mini fridge. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dallas Texas, United States
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I was so disappointed at the condition of the Resort. Everywhere you look from carpet to walls, coffee maker and an ac unit that rattled ALL Night!! I would not stay there again until they do a renovation. I certainly cant recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Raymond,

Thank you for your feedback. We’ve been working with our housekeeping and maintenance teams to fix the issues you ran into, but we’re very sorry they weren’t resolved sooner. At our hotel, we take your comments very seriously and will work to prevent additional disturbances for future guests.

Thanks again for your review and we hope you stay with us the next time you return to the area.

Kind Regards,
The DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego Downtown
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The entire staff at the Double Tree San Diego is wonderful. Everyone greets you with a smile and goes the extra mile to make sure that your needs are taken care of. I have used them for lodging as well as for banquet set up for business events. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the area because it is close to many attractions. Where they lack in extra amenities (such as the lounges that are in some of the larger Hilton brands) they exceed your expectations in other areas. The view is incredible, the rooms are clean and spacious, and as I said before the entire staff (most of whom I know by name) is incredible.

Room Tip: The rooms facing cedar street have the best view of the city and the harbor. Request a room above th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Antioch, United States
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I stayed here for one night for an interview. This was my first time staying at a hotel solo, so I wanted a nice, quiet room in a safe location. (I also wanted a free cookie). But, I didn't want to pay 200+ for a room. I initially found my room on Kayak, but it turned out to be cheaper to book directly with Double Tree. I paid $133 for the room, including taxes. I used my AAA discount, but I don't think it made a difference. I ordered room service fish tacos, which I highly recommend. No hot sauce though, just a white aioli/ranch sauce. They came with a small garden salad with ranch dressing- I don't think it mentioned that on the menu. I also ordered a taxi from my room using a travel booklet I found in the desk drawer. This was extremely helpful to have on hand as I was able to compare the rates myself to ensure I was getting the best price. My only complaint is that the doors closing/opening at night were a little loud, which I got used to quickly and was only just a minor annoyance. Overall, exactly what I wanted.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We booked a two storey suite for 8 days here. First time to the States and first stay in a Doubletree. Online booking worked perfectly.
Staff were extremely polite, friendly and all took the time to speak with us and give advice if we needed it. Nothing was too much trouble.
The suite was very spacious and perfect for our needs ( two adults with adult son), two bathrooms, two TVs, fridge - plenty of privacy.
Toiletries and tea/coffee were replenished every day. Internet worked well for all devices.
Fantastic view over the city, although it is close to the airport. We weren't disturbed by any noise from this - it's just that not everyone likes watching planes!
Warm cookies on arrival (and they were great cookies). Complimentary coffee and fruit in the lobby.
Location is really good if you want to use the trolley, train services or walk to the bay. Little Italy is just round the corner if you want to eat out. Food in the hotel is also very good with fantastic service. We were made to feel very special by the young lady who served us.
The double bed we had was very comfortable and spacious, but the sofa bed downstairs was less so. Our son said it was a little uncomfortable but that was a small thing when everything else was taken in to consideration. The whirlpool bath was a bit of an adventure and perhaps some clear printed instructions for this would be a good idea! We had to use trial and error for this. (hence the 'very good' rather than 'excellent') A very enjoyable stay.
If I had to pick just one thing that was excellent it would be the pleasant, friendly and welcoming staff who were always cheerful and smiling, although there were many quality features to this hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't like aircraft, ask for the quiet side.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ladymags2014
San Diego, United States
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Their best feature by far is their staff. The staff at this location was friendly, warm, and efficient from the moment I arrived to the moment of my departure. I was given delicious cookies every time that I passed the front desk. The hotel's restaurant provided tasty food at a competitive price so I ate most of my meals there. They are located in Little Italy, so just a quick walk led me to a picturesque town filled with coffee shops & Italian eateries with very yummy food at an affordable price. I spent 6 days at this establishment & I loved enjoyed all of them. Features that I loved best include: (1) It is a smoke free facility (2) City view from balcony was breathtaking and (3) Staff was unbelievably friendly, I have never encountered a better hotel staff before.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business