“Double Tree Downtown San Diego”

Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
Ranked #126 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We found our stay at Double Tree to be convenient. We were able to find great rates starting Christmas Day with our AAA membership. The front desk person was very knowledgeable and helpful. (We enjoyed our warm chocolate cookie upon check in.) Our son and family live very close, so we were not bothered by the highway or airport noise, since we are use to it.
The only thing that I found inconvenient was no frig in the room. We have stayed at hotels with much lower rates that have both refrigerators and microwave. I found that their rates fluctuate with activities in the city. I tried to book a room for a stay in Feb but the rate was $150 more than the December rates! Over all the stay was ok with a pleasant staff and we did have a clean room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The reviews I've read seem to be on par with my experience at this location. The hotel is renovated, but most of the changes seem to be cosmetic. The shower drain pipe does gurgle from time to time but the loudest and most consistent noise came from the thermostat, which made a loud clacking sound every time it turned on. The noise continues for 10-20 seconds. I'm a light sleeper, so it woke me up four or five times throughout the evening. Those who like to keep the room set at a low temperature should keep that in mind.

The hotel is fine and the staff seemed friendly enough. The site that I used to book the trip gave this hotel a 3.5 ranking. After my experience I think it's more deserving of 3 stars.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Double Tree is a strong and consistent brand of quality. The staff at this property made the difference. HOWEVER, the parking structure is a virtual obstacle course for parking and egress. Full size SUV vehicle BEWARE!!! If you find yourself there in a full size SUV, the best you can do is park in the basement level. Event then, be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS. $2,000 and 15 business days later, I will have my repaired vehicle.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

The hotel was next to a major freeway as well as close to the airport so the noise from cars and planes could be heard very clearly on the 16th floor. The hotel room was not thoroughly cleaned from the previous stay since there were chips behind the nightstand and dirty towels hanging on the shower curtain.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Kelly,

We’re very sorry for the noise issue you encountered during your stay at our hotel. Your comfort and safety are our number one concern, and we appreciate that you brought this to our attention.
The cleanliness issues you've mentioned have been addressed with our housekeeping staff to ensure we improve. Your review will help us correct similar issues in the future. We hope that the next time you’re in the area, you’ll consider staying with us again.
Again, thank you for the comments you provided to us. We appreciate that you took the time to give us your feedback. Without it we could not improve our service and reach our service goals.

Best Regards,

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I travel EXTENSIVELY on business, and I failed to cancel one of the four weeks that I had booked for this hotel, which I have stayed at for a four week period once before. I realized the error, I called on the day I was supposed to arrive to cancel. Despite my diamond status and the fact that I have stayed there before, they refused to waive the one-night cancellation fee. Pretty stupid considering I work for a large department that goes to SD all the time, for four weeks at a time, and we maintain a book on which hotels are the best. This one just hit the "DON'T" list, since we have all had the issues with trying to manage numerous reservations, and we personally eat these costs. If you don't care about this situation know this: PARKING STRUCTURE IS HORRIBLE, narrow and crowded and expensive. You can see the scrapes all over the walls from where cars had trouble navigating and hit the walls.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. We’re very sorry that our cancellation policy didn’t meet your needs and a member of our staff will contact you directly to further discuss the issue.
At our hotel, we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotels and hope that next time you are in the area you’ll reconsider staying with us.

Best Regards,

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

I have forgotten since my last visit here how poor the internet service really is.......... Might not be able to post, Poor food and bar choices too, this place is close to the airport and little Italy ............. Just a heads up four the next in line

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback about the speed of our wireless internet service at our hotel. We’re very sorry that it wasn’t working well during your stay. We’re currently updating the wireless system and hope to have a faster internet experience soon. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll consider staying with us again.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

The Hotel and Room was extremely nice with the exception of the Air Conditioning System which made a very loud banging noise (sounded like the door was being slammed) all night long. Other than that great place.