“Overall good place to stay”

Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
Ranked #110 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
New Jersey
“Overall good place to stay”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Overall good place to stay for short business trip. Location was good and shuttle service available to airport at no extra cost. Good value for the price of the room. Room and bath were very clean although the furniture showed some wear.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, United States
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Besides the noisy pipes and gurgling noise in the sink that woke me up, and the paper thin doors in my adjoining room so that I could hear every whisper in the next room, there were the several college keg parties on the 7th floor starting at 8pm and lasting until 2am. I called the front desk at least four times. After security would appear, the hall quieted down and then five minutes after security left it would start back up. I suggested they station someone up there but this was not done. The next morning, front desk staff knew nothing about it. After speaking to some local friends, apparently this is one of the more inexpensive hotels in downtown San Diego and the college dorm atmosphere is to be expected on Saturday nights. NEVER AGAIN!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Michael,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'd like to apologize for the noise issues that you encountered during your stay with us. When you come to a hotel you're expecting to get a great night's sleep and unfortunately we were not able to provide you with that.

Please rest assured that I have personally spoken to the Front Desk staff regarding your experience. I have taken the steps necessary to ensure that future guests do not have the same experience you did.

Again, I apologize for the experience you had with us and I hope that they will not deter you from staying with us again.

Best Regards,

The DoubleTree San Diego Downtown

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

San Jose, United States
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The stay felt like I was at a resort, clean, friendly, peaceful. The parking garage is too tight! I had a heart attack trying to squish my fat vehicle through the tiny passageways on all levels of the garage.

Leanordtown, MD
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed here for the first time on a business trip. Have stayed in San Diego about a dozen times before. My top preference is the Embassy Suites downtown, but it is harder and harder to get a decent rate there. I have also stayed at the Hilton at the convention center, the Holiday Inn, and the nearby Residence Inn. All of those places are pretty good. This Doubletree comes in last place, but is still an OK place. Location is very good. Right off of the highway ramp, within walking distance of gas lamp district and Little Italy. Lobby is fine. Very clean. Staff is friendly. As with all Doubletree, they give you warm cookies on check-in. Room was basic. Standard beds (not extra comfortable). Biggest gripe is no safe and no fridge (not even a mini one). What’s with that?
As a gold member, a free full breakfast is included. They had an omelet bar and had fruit, bacon, sausage, pastries, etc. My only gripe is that they did not seem to heat any food in the chaffing dishes. Therefore, the bacon, sausage, hash browns, etc. were cold most of the time. I don’t understand this. They make their own salsa for your eggs or omelets. It was excellent. I was there near Thanksgiving and they put out gingerbread or other holiday cookies at breakfast. Nice touch.
Parking garage is a real problem. The architect that designed the parking garage should be shot. The problem is that to get from one level to another, you need to get your car aligned with the ramps. They are narrow, but much worse is that it is very difficult to align the car with the ramp, because there is little space to do so. Also, high chance of collision between cars on the way up and on the way down. I had rented a full size car and it was very tight. An SUV or a van would be a nightmare. The charge $25 to park on top.
Also hotel might be hard to find without a GPS. They need a better sign.
If they were to keep breakfast warm in chaffing dishes, had safes and fridges in the rooms, I would have given this place another star. As it is, stay at one of the one of the other properties that I listed if you want to stay downtown, if you can get a good price. If this is the only place to get a good price, it isn’t bad.

Room Tip: try to avoid highway view
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Initially we liked this hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful and when we wanted to change rooms to a higher floor, they had no problem with it. The location is convenient to the airport and Little Italy, where there are a lot of restaurants.

Our issue was with the group of people who were on our floor and kept going from room to room and making a lot of noise between 2:00 and 5:00 am. We called the front desk, but it didn't seem to help. I'm not sure this hotel has a security office, so the noise continued and we didn't get much sleep on our last night. When we checked out we asked the front desk staff for a refund of the last night's stay. They said they didn't have the authority to do that, but would have the manager call us when she got in about an hour after we left. It is now 24 hours+ since we departed and the manager has still not called.

I have a feeling that the location near bars and restaurants means that groups tend to go there, so I doubt the experience we had is unique. With no real security presence to control this behavior, I can't recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Lower floors on one side of the hotel are right on the freeway and very noisy. Ask for a high floor...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Greetings,

Again, I thank you for your review and we'll be sure to keep your comments in mind as we make future improvements to our hotel. I'd love to have you back to give our hotel a second chance.

Best Regards,
The DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego Downtown
Atlanta, United States
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We have stay at this hotel several times and have another 4-day stay planned soon. The staff members are friendly and accommodating, breakfast is outstanding, rooms are comfortable, and location is right next to Little Italy. Could use a little updating but the price is right. We'll be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My wife and I recently enjoyed a 3-night stay here. We knew it wasn't going to be the fanciest of hotels...but it proved to be more than adequate for what we needed. Yes...it does appear a little outdated and the carpets are a little worn...but we were very happy. The breakfast downstairs each morning was delicious...complete with either cooked to order omelets or waffles. We ate breakfast there each morning of our stay.

We requested and were granted a view facing opposite of the interstate. If we poked our heads over the balcony and looked to the right...we had a nice view of the bay and sunset. So definitely request that view.

The hotel is in a great area. You can easily walk to restaurants/bars in Little Italy. It's also a short walk to the Gaslamp area. We also walked to Balboa Park...which was a little longer...but we are walkers and we didn't mind it. We also went for a jog down to and along the bay.

The bed was comfortable and things were clean. The shower had good water pressure and there was also a desk and chair if we needed to sit down and get anything done. The only complaint I can voice is over the size of the sink in the bathroom. It was very small. I didn't really mind it...but my wife made mention of it. She also said the hair dryer was a little weak. So you might want to bring your own if you are particular about that.

Other than that...everything was good. Everyone was nice and we took advantage of the free shuttle to and from the airport.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple