Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
Ranked #123 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stay in this hotel for about a week because of a meeting near-by.

Though there are complaints regarding the noise in some of the previous reports, I do not suffer any problem (my room is at 17/F).

Regarding the services of the hotel, it's overall fairly good. Check-in is efficient and I love the chocolate cookie! The Wi-Fi connectivity is good - I do try the wire connection but, surprisingly, I find that the wireless connection is faster! The hotel room is nice and you do have all amenities required for your stay. No complaint about the buffer breakfast 'cause it is complimentary to me because of my Gold membership. The fitness room is small but it has enough equipments to enjoy a good workout.

The two drawbacks that I can mention are (1) there is no safe box inside the room; and (2) the hotel would not provide my a receipt because of my advanced-payment package.

Room Tip: 1. Remember to call the hotel for airport shuttle service! 2. It's a 5-10minutes walk betwe...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I found this hotel average at best and perhaps somewhat below average for Doubletree standards. The young lady at the Check-In counter was kind enough to accommodate my early arrival. However it was then that I was cautioned about the ongoing repainting of some halls and about the scheduled three hour period when all hot water would be shut off; too bad for me that the lack of hot water coincided with interest in taking a post run shower. The hotel location had the plus of being close enough to Balboa Park and to the waterfront to allow for a couple of enjoyable runs. However the location also overlooked an interstate and flight path to the airport; noise was constant. My room showed signs of wear and need for service. Skuff and chip marks were evident on furniture and in the bathroom; a waste container had not ben emptied of trash.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

The customer service was very poor as the staff members were distracted and inattentive to customer service. They charge $25.00 per night for parking, even to Diamond members, and then has a contract garage service issues out warning letters to all in the parking lot, even if you have a ticket that permits you to park there. The hotel allows rude guest who makes loud noise all night long and does nothing to control this poor behavior. The GM, Rita, is slow to respond to customer needs, and then will do nothing to remedy the situation, nor compensate you for the poor service that you receive. This is the worst Hilton property I have ever stayed at, period!

Room Tip: Dont stay here! There are plenty of other, more value added Hilton properties to choose from.
1  Thank Frank B
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed for a week at a conference my company held at the hotel. The location is great, close to Little Italy and the airport (the airport could be a con, the noise isn't too bad). The staff was good, not great. It's a hotel heavily used by the airline industry for overnight stays for airline staff. The room was clean and neat.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here while attending a conference at another downtown hotel. I always enjoy DoubleTree hotels, and this one had the added advantages of being easily accessible to the light rail system, and, more importantly, providing an excellent value. I was pleasantly surprised upon arrival to be given vouchers for the hotel's full breakfast buffet. This added significantly to the value of my purchase. The hotel was quiet, clean, and comfortable, and the people were great. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed for two days in February 2013. The location is good, next to Little Italy, but the biggest issue was the indifference of front desk staff who barely want to provide a service. I actually complained to management who called me back but then failed to return other calls.

The hotel is respectable enough but there's plenty enough choice in San Diego to choose an alternative,

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Traveller21-7,

Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. We’re very sorry your experience at our property wasn't up to our usual high standards. Please know that we've addressed the problems you mentioned as with the level of service you received during your stay.
Our sincerest apologies again and thank you for alerting us to this issue. We hope you’ll give us another chance if you return to our area.

DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego Downtown

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were there almost a week and were happy with the service, cleanliness, and value! Good central location convenient to Gaslamp, Little Italy, and airport. Will stay again! The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We were within walking distance to many shops and restaurants.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple