WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown

Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
Ranked #118 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Austin, Texas
“Great Value, Professional Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here while attending a conference at another downtown hotel. I always enjoy DoubleTree hotels, and this one had the added advantages of being easily accessible to the light rail system, and, more importantly, providing an excellent value. I was pleasantly surprised upon arrival to be given vouchers for the hotel's full breakfast buffet. This added significantly to the value of my purchase. The hotel was quiet, clean, and comfortable, and the people were great. I would stay here again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed for two days in February 2013. The location is good, next to Little Italy, but the biggest issue was the indifference of front desk staff who barely want to provide a service. I actually complained to management who called me back but then failed to return other calls.

The hotel is respectable enough but there's plenty enough choice in San Diego to choose an alternative,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Traveller21-7,

Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. We’re very sorry your experience at our property wasn't up to our usual high standards. Please know that we've addressed the problems you mentioned as with the level of service you received during your stay.
Our sincerest apologies again and thank you for alerting us to this issue. We hope you’ll give us another chance if you return to our area.

DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego Downtown

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Sweetwater, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We were there almost a week and were happy with the service, cleanliness, and value! Good central location convenient to Gaslamp, Little Italy, and airport. Will stay again! The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We were within walking distance to many shops and restaurants.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mesa, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stay in Hilton properties about 60-70 nights per year. We love this hotel and location for a quick weekend in SD. It's clean, convenient to everything and has beautiful city and bay views. During our most recent stay, I left an expensive jacket behind in the armoire, and called the hotel within 2 hours of checking out. I was transferred to housekeeping to leave a message. After a week of repeated calls, leaving messages, excuses and NO call backs from management, we gave up on retreiving my property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Liked the location to the waterfront! Parking is really really tight and even kinda scary. Hotel is nice like most Doubletree's. Little Italy has nice places to eat and you can walk there. Downtown San Diego is beautiful!

• Stayed February 2013
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed in a number of different hotels in San Diego and found the Doubletree to be an excellent value with great staff. Room was clean and modern with a deck that proved very enjoyable. Hotel is in walking distance of many of the local attractions.

1 Thank Patrick H
Cloverdale, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Overall the hotel was good. The complimentary shuttle from the airport is helpful - just remember to get your bags before you call. The staff was hit and miss on correct information around this when I called so it was a challenge to get the pick up.

The driver was a great lady and shared some local intell. Only about 10 minutes from the airport it was an easy ride. Remember to book ahead of time fro the return trip to the airport. Easy to do with the concierge.

upon my arrival the staff was helpful and efficient in checking me in. I received my breakfast vouchers for each day and headed to my room. my room (705) overlooked the pool area. That was nice when the sun came in as I woke. The room was good, offering a king sized bed and standard amenities.

The first night was a bit of a challenge as I realized how thin the walls are - hearing the couple next door kept me up after midnight. And then a drain started gurgling somewhere. I wasn't awake enough to realize that it was actually in my own room until it happened on the last night too.

When I reported (on my morning of checkout) the issue with the drain they just said "oh that's too bad". I was disappointed by their reaction and lack of concern for their hotel guests satisfaction with the room. Management might want to review that beyond fixing the drain.

Each day I woke to head to the lobby for the great breakfast buffet. With a good selection of milks, cereals, bread products, fruit (cut and whole) plus eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns and one day crepes. It is a super way to start the day. Remember to tip the staff even with the voucher. These guys work hard and are very pleasant!

I tried the gym. It is small but works for those traveling and wanting a workout. It goes out onto the pool so bring down your swim stuff and jump in after your workout - there's a locker room to change.

This location is close to Little Italy, a trolley station and a 19 minute door to too to the Hyatt. So I'd recommend it no matter where you have to be downtown! Enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: As for pool side - it's nicer than being on the highway side. Mine was 705.