“A little overpriced”

Ranked #110 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A little overpriced”
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

A convenient and pleasant enough hotel, but there are no free perks like other hotels offer. The staff are efficient, but rather impersonal. Nice outdoor swimming pool and good position for getting around San Diego, but a few personal touches wouldn't go amiss. A cookie on arrival hardly competes with free breakfast and kickback that other hotels provide. Wifi is free but very slow.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Only about 2 miles from the airport and they do have a shuttle (by appt). An older property, but the rooms at OK, and a good number have balconies. Don't bother with the in-house breakfast, walk a block in the awesome San Diego weather to Pappalecco and get a great cup of coffee and a fresh croissants. The $12 breakfast was lacking every morning, poor service, buffet out of food, had to fetch our own coffee and water after multiple requests to the servers.

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was a combination business and pleasure trip for me.

The Doubletree Hotel downtown San Diego is very convenient to the airport and major highways. Several restaurants are nearby in Little Italy (approximately two blocks from the hotel). A walk to hot spots further into downtown is about 15 minutes. Just be note that you will pass the jailhouse along the way and downtown San Diego is a haven for homeless people, although we were never approached. Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo are a quick 10 minutes drive from the hotel. The eclactic Hillcrest Neighborhood is also about a 10-15 minutes drive.

The hotel is rather unassuming on the outside, though you can spot it from various view points. The lobby is contemporary but small. The restaurant is relatively dark because it has no natural light. There are plenty of elevators for the size of the hotel. If you park in the garage ($22/day) you can even catch an elevator to your floor without having to go the lobby first. The only downside to that is, there didn't seem to be any real security that could keep non-hotel guest from entering the guest floors. The garage by the way is VERY TIGHT. The ramps in the garage are extremely narrow and the spaces are small but there are plenty. Be very careful navigating the garage.

The guest rooms are a good size. My suggestion would be to request a room on the downtown side/south side of the hotel. The views are nice, it's quieter than than the north side. The north side faces the interstate and the airport. The landing pattern for the airport is directly in view of the hotel and you will see plenty of planes day and night. I requested a switch of rooms for that very reason. Plus the a/c unit was very loud. The room I ended up in, had great views of downtown, the bay to one side and mountain views in the distance on the other. The a/c was also a bit loud at first but after asking them to look into it, it was quieter. But, it later leaked a bit. The bathroom is nice. Great showerhead. Toilet runs very slow. The hotel has light sensors installed in the entry area of the room and in the bathroom. Not a bad idea until you get up in the middle to go to the bathroom and every light comes on and wakes you up. I'm one of those people who navigates well in the dark, and I also leave the curtains open so that provides enough light. The bed was comfortable. The television had a decent amount of stations, I liked the free wi-fi and it worked well. The furniture was nice, though the armoir was in an odd location next to the bed and a few feet from the nightstand. It made getting into the armoir difficult, expecially to retrieve the iron and ironing board. I also stubbed my toe on it a couple of times. It needs to be relocated. The linen, drapes, and lighting,etc were all in good condition. There were plenty of plugs to use for chargers, etc. on the nightstands, walls or desk.

Room service was ok. I recommend going out though. The room service staff was very nice.

Front desk service was great. They were very accomodating to meet my request for a room on a higher floor, changing my room to be on the downtown side of the hotel and suggesting nearby places to eat. Housekeeping was also great. I never like having a full bed change everyday, seems like such a waste. But, I do like having the towels refreshed. So, they simply did that, tidied up the bath and let me be. The rest of hotel seemed well maintained and clean.

I would recommend this hotel for the business or casual traveler. Just note you are in downtown and also near residential buildings as well. It can be noisy as times with train conductors blwoing their horns as the go pass cross streets.I'm sure there is nothing the hotel can do about that. Otherwise, I enjoyed my stay and it was great being able to leave the hotel and get to the airport within 5-10 minutes. BTW, you don't need to use the interstate to get to or from the airport with this hotel. Use N. Harbor Drive and Pacific Hwy. Google or Mapquest it, you'll see how easy it is.

Room Tip: Request a room on the south side or downtown side of the hotel. You get much better views and it is...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This hotel is fine for a three star. Service is very friendly and rooms are clean. No complaints there. It's very close to Little Italy which has a great selection of restaurants and cafes (and not as touristy as Gaslamp) but otherwise it's about a 20 min walk to Gaslamp/Conv center w/o much going on in that walk and about 5 min to the trolley (would recommend using trolley to get to more happening spots).

The hotel does look a bit worn, wireless was awfully slow (we just went to a nearby coffee shop to work), and bed not that comfortable but all in all okay and nice to be able to open the patio door for fresh air. One recommendation to the hotel is to let the shuttle drivers take us other places in a 3 mile radius not just the airport. Also odd room numbers have downtown view if you want to request a view.

• Stayed October 2012
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom and property appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis.
Please share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I recently stayed at the doubletree San Diego downtown with my wife and 2 daughters (2 months and 2 years) and I am not impressed.

The lobby is new and nice, as is the restaurant and bar. That's the only nice thing I can say at this point.

Problems so far:

I did an e check-in 24 hours before arrival and chose room 2011 - high enough for a good view and opposite the highway. Without telling m the front desk clerk checks me into room 1619 - same side but no view. When challenged she tells me 2011 isn't ready yet and she's putting me in 1619.

No cookies were offered!

I'm hhonors gold but no upgrades were offered even though as of now there are still better rooms available to book online for the duration of our stay. I suppose I should've been more assertive here.

When we got to the room it was 85-90 degrees inside due to the large glass door, open curtains and no ac on. The ac never did work.

At checkin we asked for a crib for the baby and were told it would be sent up. About two hours later we were still in the room waiting when our door opened without so much as a knock and there was the crib. I'm very upset about them just barging in as my wife was in the middle of nursing the baby and was not wearing a shirt and my 2 year old daughter had just gotten out of the bath and was wearing nothing but a diaper. I plan to address this with the manager.

Other minor annoyance - we booked the room under a promo rate which included a $25 food voucher. We had planned on using this for room service but on checkin were told it wasn't good for room service! Nowhere in the terms and conditions was this mentioned at the time of booking.

Other than the ac issue the room is ok but the halls are quite worn.

The neighborhood isn't great, there appears to be a gathering spot for local homeless people a couple blocks away. Not sure I'd be out walking in the evening.

The garage is a nightmare. We had a mid size care and found it difficult to navigate and overpriced.

Overall I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it.

Northern VA
Reviewed October 12, 2012

There are some pretty good things about this property. It's close to downtown, the airport and the major highways.
The lobby is nice and I found the front desk staff to be friendly and helpful.
It is located in Little Italy, and there are some good food options an easy walk away - but the Gaslamp District is a cab ride away for most people.
The rooms are fine - clean and nothing to complain about. The Wifi was free - which isn't always the case at DoubleTrees. Bathrooms a bit small. There is a small balcony.
But the hallways are dim with worn carpet. The elevators are vintage, and not in a good way, and oh dear lord, the parking garage -
I've been in some tight garages before, but my rental car, a small SUV, could just barely maneuver. If you have a full size SUV or a truck, seriously, don't even try parking here. I had to tree-point turn more than once to get through. Scuff marks are all over the walls. Its clear that people are trading paint with the walls all the time.
So I would stay here again - the price was right, the location good, but nothing special.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the interstate can catch road noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris1stVA
joanieclapper, Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our common areas, particularly our parking garage. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We look forward to your next stay with us and hope to provide an exceptional experience.
cincinnati
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our family stayed at Double Tree for a convention I was attending. We had our two year old and 6 month old with us. Our flight got in around 11 PM, so we checked in pretty late. I had called before we came to make sure we had a crib for my 6 month old. When we checked in, they informed me that they did not have any cribs left!!!! The manager on duty WAS NOT accommodating . I would rather have had the hotel tell me that they would not have a crib, so I could of made alternative plans, then get in late after traveling across country with two kids. Besides that, it was a nice stay. It was just a very stressful situation.

The guys who worked breakfast were extremely nice and helpful!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank liss2
Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. We’re very sorry your experience at our property wasn’t up to our usual high standards. We’ve addressed the problems you mentioned with the availability of cribs as well as how situations such as yours are handled. Thank you for alerting us to this issue, and we hope you’ll give us another chance if you return to our area.