“Not elegant, but nice, safe, clean, convenient” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown

Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
Ranked #115 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Alexandria, Virginia
“Not elegant, but nice, safe, clean, convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was a combination business and pleasure trip for me.

The Doubletree Hotel downtown San Diego is very convenient to the airport and major highways. Several restaurants are nearby in Little Italy (approximately two blocks from the hotel). A walk to hot spots further into downtown is about 15 minutes. Just be note that you will pass the jailhouse along the way and downtown San Diego is a haven for homeless people, although we were never approached. Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo are a quick 10 minutes drive from the hotel. The eclactic Hillcrest Neighborhood is also about a 10-15 minutes drive.

The hotel is rather unassuming on the outside, though you can spot it from various view points. The lobby is contemporary but small. The restaurant is relatively dark because it has no natural light. There are plenty of elevators for the size of the hotel. If you park in the garage ($22/day) you can even catch an elevator to your floor without having to go the lobby first. The only downside to that is, there didn't seem to be any real security that could keep non-hotel guest from entering the guest floors. The garage by the way is VERY TIGHT. The ramps in the garage are extremely narrow and the spaces are small but there are plenty. Be very careful navigating the garage.

The guest rooms are a good size. My suggestion would be to request a room on the downtown side/south side of the hotel. The views are nice, it's quieter than than the north side. The north side faces the interstate and the airport. The landing pattern for the airport is directly in view of the hotel and you will see plenty of planes day and night. I requested a switch of rooms for that very reason. Plus the a/c unit was very loud. The room I ended up in, had great views of downtown, the bay to one side and mountain views in the distance on the other. The a/c was also a bit loud at first but after asking them to look into it, it was quieter. But, it later leaked a bit. The bathroom is nice. Great showerhead. Toilet runs very slow. The hotel has light sensors installed in the entry area of the room and in the bathroom. Not a bad idea until you get up in the middle to go to the bathroom and every light comes on and wakes you up. I'm one of those people who navigates well in the dark, and I also leave the curtains open so that provides enough light. The bed was comfortable. The television had a decent amount of stations, I liked the free wi-fi and it worked well. The furniture was nice, though the armoir was in an odd location next to the bed and a few feet from the nightstand. It made getting into the armoir difficult, expecially to retrieve the iron and ironing board. I also stubbed my toe on it a couple of times. It needs to be relocated. The linen, drapes, and lighting,etc were all in good condition. There were plenty of plugs to use for chargers, etc. on the nightstands, walls or desk.

Room service was ok. I recommend going out though. The room service staff was very nice.

Front desk service was great. They were very accomodating to meet my request for a room on a higher floor, changing my room to be on the downtown side of the hotel and suggesting nearby places to eat. Housekeeping was also great. I never like having a full bed change everyday, seems like such a waste. But, I do like having the towels refreshed. So, they simply did that, tidied up the bath and let me be. The rest of hotel seemed well maintained and clean.

I would recommend this hotel for the business or casual traveler. Just note you are in downtown and also near residential buildings as well. It can be noisy as times with train conductors blwoing their horns as the go pass cross streets.I'm sure there is nothing the hotel can do about that. Otherwise, I enjoyed my stay and it was great being able to leave the hotel and get to the airport within 5-10 minutes. BTW, you don't need to use the interstate to get to or from the airport with this hotel. Use N. Harbor Drive and Pacific Hwy. Google or Mapquest it, you'll see how easy it is.

Room Tip: Request a room on the south side or downtown side of the hotel. You get much better views and it is...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

This hotel is fine for a three star. Service is very friendly and rooms are clean. No complaints there. It's very close to Little Italy which has a great selection of restaurants and cafes (and not as touristy as Gaslamp) but otherwise it's about a 20 min walk to Gaslamp/Conv center w/o much going on in that walk and about 5 min to the trolley (would recommend using trolley to get to more happening spots).

The hotel does look a bit worn, wireless was awfully slow (we just went to a nearby coffee shop to work), and bed not that comfortable but all in all okay and nice to be able to open the patio door for fresh air. One recommendation to the hotel is to let the shuttle drivers take us other places in a 3 mile radius not just the airport. Also odd room numbers have downtown view if you want to request a view.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom and property appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis.
Please share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time.
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I recently stayed at the doubletree San Diego downtown with my wife and 2 daughters (2 months and 2 years) and I am not impressed.

The lobby is new and nice, as is the restaurant and bar. That's the only nice thing I can say at this point.

Problems so far:

I did an e check-in 24 hours before arrival and chose room 2011 - high enough for a good view and opposite the highway. Without telling m the front desk clerk checks me into room 1619 - same side but no view. When challenged she tells me 2011 isn't ready yet and she's putting me in 1619.

No cookies were offered!

I'm hhonors gold but no upgrades were offered even though as of now there are still better rooms available to book online for the duration of our stay. I suppose I should've been more assertive here.

When we got to the room it was 85-90 degrees inside due to the large glass door, open curtains and no ac on. The ac never did work.

At checkin we asked for a crib for the baby and were told it would be sent up. About two hours later we were still in the room waiting when our door opened without so much as a knock and there was the crib. I'm very upset about them just barging in as my wife was in the middle of nursing the baby and was not wearing a shirt and my 2 year old daughter had just gotten out of the bath and was wearing nothing but a diaper. I plan to address this with the manager.

Other minor annoyance - we booked the room under a promo rate which included a $25 food voucher. We had planned on using this for room service but on checkin were told it wasn't good for room service! Nowhere in the terms and conditions was this mentioned at the time of booking.

Other than the ac issue the room is ok but the halls are quite worn.

The neighborhood isn't great, there appears to be a gathering spot for local homeless people a couple blocks away. Not sure I'd be out walking in the evening.

The garage is a nightmare. We had a mid size care and found it difficult to navigate and overpriced.

Overall I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Northern VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

There are some pretty good things about this property. It's close to downtown, the airport and the major highways.
The lobby is nice and I found the front desk staff to be friendly and helpful.
It is located in Little Italy, and there are some good food options an easy walk away - but the Gaslamp District is a cab ride away for most people.
The rooms are fine - clean and nothing to complain about. The Wifi was free - which isn't always the case at DoubleTrees. Bathrooms a bit small. There is a small balcony.
But the hallways are dim with worn carpet. The elevators are vintage, and not in a good way, and oh dear lord, the parking garage -
I've been in some tight garages before, but my rental car, a small SUV, could just barely maneuver. If you have a full size SUV or a truck, seriously, don't even try parking here. I had to tree-point turn more than once to get through. Scuff marks are all over the walls. Its clear that people are trading paint with the walls all the time.
So I would stay here again - the price was right, the location good, but nothing special.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the interstate can catch road noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris1stVA
joanieclapper, Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our common areas, particularly our parking garage. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We look forward to your next stay with us and hope to provide an exceptional experience.
cincinnati
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our family stayed at Double Tree for a convention I was attending. We had our two year old and 6 month old with us. Our flight got in around 11 PM, so we checked in pretty late. I had called before we came to make sure we had a crib for my 6 month old. When we checked in, they informed me that they did not have any cribs left!!!! The manager on duty WAS NOT accommodating . I would rather have had the hotel tell me that they would not have a crib, so I could of made alternative plans, then get in late after traveling across country with two kids. Besides that, it was a nice stay. It was just a very stressful situation.

The guys who worked breakfast were extremely nice and helpful!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank liss2
Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. We’re very sorry your experience at our property wasn’t up to our usual high standards. We’ve addressed the problems you mentioned with the availability of cribs as well as how situations such as yours are handled. Thank you for alerting us to this issue, and we hope you’ll give us another chance if you return to our area.
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at DoubleTree by Hilton (San Diego Downtown) during the dates 22-29 of March 2012, while I was attending a conference at the Conference Center these days.

The third night, when my colleague and I came back to the hotel, tired after a full day at the conference, we had a horrifying experience, to say the least. Even though that was nothing compared to how we later on were treated by the hotel…

When we came up to our floor we went to our room and tried to unlock the door, but neither ones of our key cards were functioning. So we got down the reception to get a set of new keys, but these didn’t work either. After some arguing we got the manager to come up and use his master key to open the room, but not even that one worked. So a locksmith was brought in to open the door and when he finally arrived and unlocked the door, we got a big surprise as the security hatch was put on from the inside.

After some shouting into the room a very upset woman came to the door and said that this was her room (even though we could see all our stuff inside the room) and that see was not leaving, or taking off the security hatch. After a short while it became clear that she was high on drugs, as she had problems formulating sentences. After a lot of persuasion the hotel manager finally called the police, who came and kicked the door open. They handcuffed the woman and we were allowed to go into the room. When we did go in, we immediately saw that all our stuff were covered in the blood from this junkie-woman (who had at this point blacked out on the bed). There were large bloodstains both on the floor and on our belongings. She had looked through all our stuff with bloody hands and I found my for example my passport and my computer stuffed in her bag. Mixed with our personal belongings were now her crack pipe and additional drugs. The woman was driven away by the police and the strongly recommended us to check out that we hadn’t got any blood disease like hepatitis or HIV!

This story is crazy as it is, but questions that arose in our heads later were what would have happened if she had not mixed with the lock and used the security hatch? In that case we would have walked right into her while see was trying the steal our belongings – a potentially very dangerous situation! Or what if we would have been in the hotel room, when she broke in??

So to sum up, we got our belongings, including bags, clothes, computer, bathroom utilities, etc, all covered in potentially diseased blood and have had to throw these away due to health risks; we were put in a potentially very dangerous situation. The compensation we have been given for this is according to Hilton ZERO DOLLARS!! We have got nothing at all, we even had to pay our full stay at this excuse for hotel!

I would rather recommend people sleeping on the streets of San Diego, before checking in to this hotel!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Kristoffer G
Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel is a great option for a quick overnight stop in San Diego. Very close to Little Italy and about one mile from the famous Gaslamp Quater (GQ). I flew into San Diego on a Thursday and got to the hotel around 8pm. Check-in was a breeze and the hotel was pretty quiet. Went down to the 5th floor rooftop pool/lounge for a couple drinks. Not much happening but it was a good time. Decided to head out to the GQ and the walk way easy. I was a little wary of walking by myself since it is downtown. You see some bums on the streets and the streets that I was walking on were a little quiet. You pass a jail/police station on your walk, kind of makes you feel safe and scared at the same time. You know that there are cops around but what about someone who JUST got out of jail....? anyways wasn't too bad... got to the GQ and the street was packed with wonderful people. Around 1:30am I headed back to the hotel (again walking) after you get out of the GQ and head back to the hotels the streets are pretty dead, you see a person here and there. The hotel itself is pretty well kept and clean. Rooms are great and have a step out balcony (when i stay step out you can step out only so don't expect anything big). This hotel is great for a overnight trip to San Diego, if you want to be right in the middle of the action don't choose this hotel. But if you want to save a few $ and don't mind walking a mile to get to the action choose this hotel. Oh and the shuttle service from the airport-hotel was a little slow but hopefully they can work that out...

Room Tip: Ask for a higher/water view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo