“Decent - I wish there was something between avg and v good”

Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
Ranked #133 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 12, 2012

There are some pretty good things about this property. It's close to downtown, the airport and the major highways.
The lobby is nice and I found the front desk staff to be friendly and helpful.
It is located in Little Italy, and there are some good food options an easy walk away - but the Gaslamp District is a cab ride away for most people.
The rooms are fine - clean and nothing to complain about. The Wifi was free - which isn't always the case at DoubleTrees. Bathrooms a bit small. There is a small balcony.
But the hallways are dim with worn carpet. The elevators are vintage, and not in a good way, and oh dear lord, the parking garage -
I've been in some tight garages before, but my rental car, a small SUV, could just barely maneuver. If you have a full size SUV or a truck, seriously, don't even try parking here. I had to tree-point turn more than once to get through. Scuff marks are all over the walls. Its clear that people are trading paint with the walls all the time.
So I would stay here again - the price was right, the location good, but nothing special.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the interstate can catch road noise
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris1stVA
joanieclapper, Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our common areas, particularly our parking garage. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We look forward to your next stay with us and hope to provide an exceptional experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,435)

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our family stayed at Double Tree for a convention I was attending. We had our two year old and 6 month old with us. Our flight got in around 11 PM, so we checked in pretty late. I had called before we came to make sure we had a crib for my 6 month old. When we checked in, they informed me that they did not have any cribs left!!!! The manager on duty WAS NOT accommodating . I would rather have had the hotel tell me that they would not have a crib, so I could of made alternative plans, then get in late after traveling across country with two kids. Besides that, it was a nice stay. It was just a very stressful situation.

The guys who worked breakfast were extremely nice and helpful!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank liss2

Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. We’re very sorry your experience at our property wasn’t up to our usual high standards. We’ve addressed the problems you mentioned with the availability of cribs as well as how situations such as yours are handled. Thank you for alerting us to this issue, and we hope you’ll give us another chance if you return to our area.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at DoubleTree by Hilton (San Diego Downtown) during the dates 22-29 of March 2012, while I was attending a conference at the Conference Center these days.

The third night, when my colleague and I came back to the hotel, tired after a full day at the conference, we had a horrifying experience, to say the least. Even though that was nothing compared to how we later on were treated by the hotel…

When we came up to our floor we went to our room and tried to unlock the door, but neither ones of our key cards were functioning. So we got down the reception to get a set of new keys, but these didn’t work either. After some arguing we got the manager to come up and use his master key to open the room, but not even that one worked. So a locksmith was brought in to open the door and when he finally arrived and unlocked the door, we got a big surprise as the security hatch was put on from the inside.

After some shouting into the room a very upset woman came to the door and said that this was her room (even though we could see all our stuff inside the room) and that see was not leaving, or taking off the security hatch. After a short while it became clear that she was high on drugs, as she had problems formulating sentences. After a lot of persuasion the hotel manager finally called the police, who came and kicked the door open. They handcuffed the woman and we were allowed to go into the room. When we did go in, we immediately saw that all our stuff were covered in the blood from this junkie-woman (who had at this point blacked out on the bed). There were large bloodstains both on the floor and on our belongings. She had looked through all our stuff with bloody hands and I found my for example my passport and my computer stuffed in her bag. Mixed with our personal belongings were now her crack pipe and additional drugs. The woman was driven away by the police and the strongly recommended us to check out that we hadn’t got any blood disease like hepatitis or HIV!

This story is crazy as it is, but questions that arose in our heads later were what would have happened if she had not mixed with the lock and used the security hatch? In that case we would have walked right into her while see was trying the steal our belongings – a potentially very dangerous situation! Or what if we would have been in the hotel room, when she broke in??

So to sum up, we got our belongings, including bags, clothes, computer, bathroom utilities, etc, all covered in potentially diseased blood and have had to throw these away due to health risks; we were put in a potentially very dangerous situation. The compensation we have been given for this is according to Hilton ZERO DOLLARS!! We have got nothing at all, we even had to pay our full stay at this excuse for hotel!

I would rather recommend people sleeping on the streets of San Diego, before checking in to this hotel!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Kristoffer G
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel is a great option for a quick overnight stop in San Diego. Very close to Little Italy and about one mile from the famous Gaslamp Quater (GQ). I flew into San Diego on a Thursday and got to the hotel around 8pm. Check-in was a breeze and the hotel was pretty quiet. Went down to the 5th floor rooftop pool/lounge for a couple drinks. Not much happening but it was a good time. Decided to head out to the GQ and the walk way easy. I was a little wary of walking by myself since it is downtown. You see some bums on the streets and the streets that I was walking on were a little quiet. You pass a jail/police station on your walk, kind of makes you feel safe and scared at the same time. You know that there are cops around but what about someone who JUST got out of jail....? anyways wasn't too bad... got to the GQ and the street was packed with wonderful people. Around 1:30am I headed back to the hotel (again walking) after you get out of the GQ and head back to the hotels the streets are pretty dead, you see a person here and there. The hotel itself is pretty well kept and clean. Rooms are great and have a step out balcony (when i stay step out you can step out only so don't expect anything big). This hotel is great for a overnight trip to San Diego, if you want to be right in the middle of the action don't choose this hotel. But if you want to save a few $ and don't mind walking a mile to get to the action choose this hotel. Oh and the shuttle service from the airport-hotel was a little slow but hopefully they can work that out...

Room Tip: Ask for a higher/water view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We got this hotel on priceline for super cheap, so we were overall really happy for our quick overnight trip to San Diego. Plus it was within walking distance to our destination. Even though the price was right and rooms were comfortable, I would chose to stay at the Sheraton Suites (also a 3.5 star) over this hotel. The Sheraton had a little better location and has a more upscale feel.

Pros
-Comfortable & Clean Rooms. Flat Screen TVs
-Free Internet
-Easy Check In, friendly staff
-Little store in the lobby to buy any snacks or essentials

Cons
- Location isn't that great. It is a long walk anywhere. It was convenient for us, but I would stay somewhere else if we wanted to be downtown.
- Lobby was small and just so-so
- Although it wasn't super noisy, the walls seemed a little thin as you could here all the happenings in the hallways.

Tips
- Not sure how much they charge for Parking, but we found free overnight parking (no metered or timed) along Union street right next to the hotel.
-Ask for the view of downtown. We got the freeway view. You can watch all the planes land, but a downtown view would have been nice.

Room Tip: Get a downtown view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on business. The location is right off the freeway so easy to get to but you do hear the freeway noise from the room. The noise did not bother me when sleeping so that was fine. The parking garage is scary with narrow confusing passageways. They charge $22 per day for parking. Little Italy is about 4 blocks down so there is plenty of places to eat and I recommend walking. I did not eat here but there is a restaurant, bar and room service. The rooms are very clean. I stayed on non smoking king room. It would have been nice to have a fridge. The wardrobe closet was too close to the bed and should have been in a different location. The room has a big desk, executive chair and big chair with ottoman. The bed was pretty comfy.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife and I enjoy the Doubletree Hotels chain and staff is usually friendly and helpful. This hotel staff was not very cooperative. Our suitcases were held up and not delivered to our room. The room was great but next to the freeway. The location is great and we enjoyed walking to nearby restaurants and Little Italy.
The rooms were clean and properly appointed. I did notice some issues around the bathtub that needed cleaning up. Otherwise, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family