“Worse stay ever”

Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
Ranked #135 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed June 26, 2012

After reading the reviews and checking the place out online I was really looking forward to staying here..After a long fun day at Sea World we arrived at approximately 9:45 pm to check-in. The gentleman at the front desk advised me that he had to make sure our room was ready; seriously at almost 10pm the room is not ready.

So we did the paperwork and took a seat, think i forgot to mention my daughter was with me and she was exhausted some warm cookies helped her for a moment (they give these to all guests btw). About 10 minutes go by I go ask the front desk what the status is, he says they are working on cleaning the room it will be ready in a couple of minutes..15 minutes later I see this guys chatting with another gentleman and telling them whats going on he shrugs his shoulders and walks away, the guy comes to tell me that it will 20 minutes and he is going to help clean..So 25 minutes later he gives us keys and apologizes we get up to the room and what do we find the cleaning crew still cleaning and a room that stinks of pine sol..they leave close the door and guess what the keys dont work. So i had to go downstairs get another key and the go back again to speak with the manager who saw us sitting on the sofa and my daughter laying down uncomfortably on the sofa..The manager (Roy) again shrugged his shoulders, never apologized and said well were sold out and thats it, he offered free parking for the night. NO apology, seeing we were there waiting never came up to apologize or offer us anything to make us more comfortable. How this guy is a manager I dont know..maybe he thinks a full hotel is the only thing he needs to worry about..So I take to twitter and for about an hour I let twitter know how absolutely horrible this service is, I then get a call from the doubletree social media manager apologizing profusely, asking what she can do, her number rang up from Texas so i was impressed by how well they manage their social media and how kind this lady was but the hotel manager is something else. I am assuming they made him call me to apologize then offer to comp the night and free breakfast..sadly had i not bee on twitter this would of never happened.

I will never again stay there nor would I send my worse enemy there..horrible horrible customer service..I am contemplating possibly never staying at a doubletree or hilton again..i am so completely disgusted with this experience..THe room itself other then the pine sol was ok, the bathroom had no ventilation and the walls were bubbling and had a rusted access panel, and to top it off when we showered in the morning the tub was clogged..

Do not go here unless you want to be treated like crap...

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Philip B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,446)

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Don't know what the fuss is about (ie negative reviews)... First of all, skip out on $22 overnight parking by finding a street metered spot anywhere around the hotel. The meters here in downtown San Diego are free from 6pm - 8 am, so I don't know why anyone would bother with the hotel garage (given the "nightmare" stories). Staff was friendly, helpful and courteous. Upgraded us to jr suite on the 14th floor as we are Hilton gold members, and are traveling with an infant. Maybe they gave us a big room so that our crying infant doesn't disturb any other guests, haha. Either way, I'll take it! Great views of downtown, harbor and airport. Traveling with an infant and 2.5 yr old. My older son loves seeing the airplanes land! Great happy hour in lobby bar and pool bar! 4-6pm and I was drinking $3 drafts craft beers! Room was spacious, and clean upon check in. Overall, great hotel, great deal, and great experience!!!! Will definitely be back! A woman by the name of Reina checked us in, and Angela was the bar tender at the pool bar. Both were great and very friendly!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank TripMember040720151
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I pricelined and this was the hotel we got, for the price it was great. Thankfully I had read the reviews of the parking garage since we drive an SUV and were able to park around the corner on a surface lot for the night. The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to Gaslamp if you don't mind a bit of a stroll. We were in a King on the 16th floor looking at the city and it was a nice room, clean and big. The only downside is at around 2am our neighbors arrived home and when they talked it sounded like they were in our room with us, it woke us up.

We had asked for a cab to be called and someone else grabbed it so the shuttle driver instead of calling us a cab graciously drove us the few blocks to the gaslamp for dinner. We walked back later that evening and it was a pleasant walk.

For the right price we will definitely stay again and use the surface lots or street parking.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank annap74
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We got this hotel on Hotwire for one pre-cruise night, and I was pleasantly surprised. Having a complimentary airport pick-up was a treat. There was a rush of folks arriving at the airport at the same time but we were lucky to get the first pick-up as there was only one driver. The hotel is in a nicer area than more expensive hotels on or near Broadway/Horton Plaza. Our room on the 15th floor was clean and well furnished for the price. We were able to walk to the cruise ship terminal with our roller luggage the next morning, which was probably faster than a cab because traffic in the area is quite congested. The fire alarm went off at 12:30 a.m. which caused a lot of people to have to take the stairs all the way down to the lobby only to be told it was a false alarm. In spite of that I would stay there again as long as the price was under $140. We were going to go out for breakfast but opted for their buffet and it was good value.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SimplyFengShui
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Hello SimplyFengShui,

Thank you for your comments. We hope that next time you decide to take a cruise that we'll see you again at our hotel. Hopefully next time you will be able to stay longer and enjoy more attractions around us, especially in Little Italy.

Your friends at the DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego Downtown

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Everyone who works at this hotel is very friendly and makes sure that they get you what you need. From the waiter in the restaurant, the cleaning staff and front office, EVERYONE I encountered was very friendly. The rooms are clean and modern, and the beds are very comfortable.

Location was good, the farmer's market just one block over on Sat mornings was awesome! About a 10 minute walk down to the water.

Courtesy shuttle was clean, just remember to call them when you land, because it takes them about 15 minutes to get a shuttle over to the pick up area.

I was a little bummed that after a fire alarm was pulled at 12:30am and we were evacuated and stood around for an hour in the middle of the night that they didn't offer us free breakfast or anything - especially because of the confusing instructions the guests were given while the alarms were going off.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KimbK

KimbK,

We appreciate your compliments about our staff. It is always good to hear that we are doing well.

I have to agree with our location. There are many things that are in walking distance to go see and enjoy. Especially Little Italy’s Farmers market that is next to us every Saturday.

My apologies for the inconveniences with the fire alarm we hope that it does not deter you form staying with us again.

The DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego Downtown

Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

We just checked in to our rooms. If you happened to book through a 3rd party such as hot-wire or Priceline, there's a $10 upgrade for double beds & a $22 parking fee, but that didn't matter because the service was exceptional! Katrina, the front desk clerk who had checked us in was wonderful! I work in a hospitality industry as well in Las Vegas and her service she provided was phenomenal! People like her just makes me want to stay at Hilton properties all the time. The property was in a safe area and was close by to everything. The USS Midway was only a 5 min drive from the hotel. It's so convienient. Now I'm happy to say I found a home to stay at whenever my family visits relatives in San Diego! Excited to plan our next trip to stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear mscheng,

Thanks very much for the feedback about your stay. I was glad you enjoyed our hotel and our location! I will share your comments with my team and we appreciate your business. Hoping to see you again.

The DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego Downtown

Reviewed May 10, 2012

I found the hotel to be very nicely located, within walking distance of little italy, the waterfront and even downtown or seaport village if you are upto it. We had a room overlooking the pool, where you can see the bay. The room was large and clean, furniture was slightly dated and tired but acceptable, just.

Unacceptable was the noise! seemingly no soundproofing between rooms, even neighbours across the hall are annoyingly well heard. And then there is the train, which toots its horn the whole way through the city. Although the line is a few blocks away its still easily heard night and day, once woke me up at 3 or 4am. Not happy!!!

Upon research, i found i couldn't really find a better looking, cheaper alternative anywhere in downtown (essential as we didn't have a car for our stay and not prepare to stay outside).

Taxi to the Zoo was $8, cruise terminal $5, free airport shuttle. san diego city tour stops in little italy (India & Cedar) 5 minutes walk away.

Breakfast inhouse was average quality but a little expensive $13 in my opinion. You can walk a couple blocks and take your pick from any number of places in little italy if you have the time.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple