“Great Place, Great Location”

Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
Ranked #107 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Santa Clarita, California
“Great Place, Great Location”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I took my family down to the San Diego area and stayed at the Doubletree for a few days and had a blast. This hotel was located in a great area, was clean and the staff was very helpful. I would recxommend this place to any one heading to San Diego!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
san diego
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My stay at the hotel was outstanding.I travel all over and the staff at the front desk was awesome!!! I'll be back...

Room Tip: ask for a bay view room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I'll start this off by saying that I very rarely have negative reviews for hotels. Not even sure if I've left a negative review on Trip Advisor previously.

In reading some of the other reviews, it's clear that they've redone some floors. Floor 15 (1520 specifically) is definitely not one of them. Here's some general feedback from the hotel:
1) Wallpaper peeing off
2) Sink in bathroom didn't drain- literally filled up to the top
3) Shower head needs replacement, water doesn't come out well
4) Shower curtain really gross
5) A/C condensate dripped onto carpet drenching carpet
6) Pretty ghetto looking balcony, not even sure what it's use is, except maybe for smokers?

Good news is that you can park on the street for free on the weekends......beats the $22 they were asking for.
Pool area started off looking like a very nice space when you walk outside, only to find:
1) A significant sized area (on floor 5) with a very small pool
2) Only 10 chaise lounges (there are some outdoor sofas for those who like that)
3) Really nice bar with some stools and beers on tap, but no one working there!
4) No towels at the pool (had to go into the gym to get towels)

Again, I'm not someone that traditionally complains. My wife and I are 31 and go to hotels to sleep and shower and don't need much at all. This hotel just left a lot to be desired, even for just an overnight.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Great hotel. We stayed here for the San Diego Comic Convention. Right beside wonderful restaurants in Little Italy. Nice walk to many attractions and the shopping mall. Staff very helpful. Minor plumbing problem in our room on our last day which they sorted within a couple of hours. Free pickup and return to the airport. Our hotel of choice in San Diego.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my cousins when they visited me and my family, and I must say that the rooms looked great. Besides the great view looking over downtown, the rooms were super clean. My uncle even said that he has never stayed in a room where you can smell the freshness.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Andres C
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Hi Andres,

Thank you so much for your comments I'm glad to hear that you and your family had a wonderful experience at our hotel.
We hope to see you soon!!!
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Being so close to the Pacific coast helped us a lot.Every morning we went walking to the harborside.Added attraction was the close proximity to Gas lamp quarter,tram lines and trams which were an interesting sight,plenty of eateries like whole of Little Italy for italian food and if you can walk more,then lots of Indian food joints,arabian food hubs are for the tourists.
On the whole ideal location.

Room Tip: spacious rooms
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank FannyIllinois
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I came to San Diego to visit a couple friends but wanted to have my own place to stay and debrief. I stayed at the Doubletree Downtown when I came a couple years back and had a great stay then as well. I initially chose this hotel based on its proximity to the airport and nearby attractions.
My interactions with the staff were superb. Always incredibly friendly and willing to take time to answer questions and offer advice on where I should go eat, etc. The interior was clean and my room was incredibly comfortable. I stayed in a king room and slept like a rock! My room had a view of the pool which was great to be able to look out my window and see that an open lounge chair was available so I could rush down. The pool area and pool were also immaculate. The staff did a great job keeping the place clean. I also worked out every morning -all of the machines worked and the housekeeping staff was in disinfecting regularly.
My friends and I opted to have dinner at the hotel one night before we went out in the Gaslamp District and were very impressed with the food and service we received. I will definitely be staying at the Doubletree Downtown on my next visit to San Diego - hopefully sooner than later. Helpful tip - be sure to eat your share of the warm complimentary cookies! :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo