“Superb guest service and comfort!”

Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
Ranked #109 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Superb guest service and comfort!”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I was less than thrilled when my vacation was cut short and I was forced to attend a week long training seminar at my company's head quarters in San Diego. I usually stay at Marriott brand when I travel on business, but I was put up at the Double Tree Hotel near the Gas Lamp district because it was close to where I needed to be and available. I checked in late at night, but I was greeted in the most friendly and accommodating way. My check in was done quickly and efficiently and I was given the most delicious cookies. The housekeeping staff was top notch and kept my room just the way I like it. I signed up for Hilton Honors and I can honestly say that Double Tree in Downtown San Diego persuaded me. I be back and will recommend it!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We weren't sure what to expect because some of the reviews said the place was older. It is a little bit worn, but it is comfortable, and the view from the balcony was lovely. Everybody was very helpful. Free Internet access and printing. It is located near Little Italy, the Maritime Museum, Anthony's Restaurant, and a trolley stop. We opted to try using public transportation and it worked great. We could trolley to Old Town and grab a bus to the beach. We took a trolley to the baseball park and back. When we were short of time we grabbed a taxi. Way cheaper than the cost of a car rental and parking downtown.

The only complaint we had was that the drain in the shower was slow, and there was some gurgling in the middle of the night. Not a lot, but it woke us up once. Overall though, we were very happy with our room. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star was that it wasn't perfect. That said, I would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ColoradoPlains
Ijamsville, Maryland
Reviewed August 9, 2011

This was my second stay at this hotel in the past two months and I have to say that I have been disappointed both times. The staff has always been warm and friendly and that is the only reason I rated it two stars. The rooms were hot and very humid. I realize it is San Diego, but a shirt that had gotten wet at the beach was still wet the next moring despite being hung up to dry. We requested a room change, but the room we moved to was only marginally better than the first.

For meals we generally went out, but the one in-room dining experience we did have was fine. The food was very good and the staff attentive. The prices were a bit on the high side even for room service, but it is San Diego.

We watched several in-room movies, but were disappointed that we had to contact the desk to have them restarted even though the 24 hour watching period had not elapsed. We were told just to reorder the movies and they would credit the bill, but the charges were not credited and we again had to contact the desk for resolution.

We provided two credit cards on check in. One card for the room charges and another for incidentals. We were told at check in that this was not a problem, but on check out the bill was all charged to the initial card. Again this had to be worked out with the desk staff.

I am partial to Doubletree since my father worked at one for many years, but this location could use a change in management philosophy.

Room Tip: The best views are on the upper floors.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
joanieclapper, Front Office Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Dear Spartan6,

I want to thank you for your feedback. Without feedback from out guests we are not able to ensure that we are providing the level of service they are accustom to.

I also want to apologize the inconveniences you experienced during you stay. Please rest assured that I have personally spoken to the Front Desk staff regarding your experience and have taken the steps necessary to ensure that future guests do not have the same experience you did.

Again, I apologize for the experience you had with us and I hope that they will not deter you from staying with us again.

Doubletree Management

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Michigan
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The hotel was nice and the location was good (although I think after visiting that I would have preferred the Gaslamp location). There were lots of places, including Little Italy, within walking distance. We were in town to visit the Zoo and it was an easy drive from the hotel. The rooms were well kept, if not extremely new, and the beds were comfy. The parking ramp, however, was treacherous. Be VERY CAREFUL negotiating the turn to get to the upper levels of the ramp. It's nearly (but not quite) impossible. Our first try resulted in a huge dent/scratch on our older-model Chrysler Concorde. I'm just glad we decided to drive our old car rather than to get a rental. I really don't think they should feel comfortable charging $20/night to park in that ramp. I also felt the hotel staff was a little less than helpful. Not rude, just sort of indifferent.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Lucky777
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed August 4, 2011

OUR LUGGAGE WAS STOLEN RIGHT OUT OF OUR ROOM!! I will not give this hotel any stars because the management is horrible. During my stay on July 16th-17th, My luggage was STOLEN right out of my hotel room! The manager on duty did not even have the decency to come up to our room when we discovered the theft. The General Manager was not on site, but even after she came to the hotel the next morning, she did not find it her priority to come see us. I had to go down to the lobby at least six times to get answers from the staff. Extremely disappointed with the experience.

They issued our key cards to another guest, and they don't have working security cameras, so the police were not able to get any leads on who stole our luggage!

When we asked about reimbursement for the hotel stay, the General Manager deflected our request to their insurance company, saying only they can reimburse you. They would not even provide us any contact information for corporate.

When we said to the GM that this is your fault, her immediate response was "Wait, its not my fault, I wasn't even on site when this happened!" Any person that has worked in a customer service oriented industry, knows that as a Manager, anything that happens in your establishment, IT'S YOUR FAULT!

We are still fighting with the hotel's insurance company, which only wants to reimburse us a depreciated value of our belongings, which would not help us to replace almost a $12,000 loss (laptops, ipods, dslr camera, jewelry, etc).

THE WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank SS220
Jefferson, New Jersey
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I liked the hotel. It wasnt anything special but the staff was extremely friendly and was clean. The parking is a complete rip off at $30 a night. I actually found parking on the street near by the hotel for free. All street/metered parking is free in the city of San Diego on weekends. The hotel was in downtown but still isnt the closest walk to all the main tourist attractions. I got a great rate through priceline name your price, so I thought it was an excellent deal. Also has free wifi and depending on the room you may receive a great view of the city of SD. If I go back to San Diego I probably would stay elsewhere but if I got another great deal like I did I would stay here again!!

Room Tip: request a room with ocean/downtown view rather then the other side which is the highway/airport
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Matthew M
Washington DC
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Just one overnight here between flights. The hotel is conveniently located downtown, just a couple of miles from the airport, so it's a really quick hop between the two.

The public spaces are updated and felt modern and comfortable. The lobby was a little dark because of the way the lobby is set in the building's footprint. But the check-in desks had a chic up-to-date feeling. There was a water feature in the lobby, which I rather liked. The restaurant and bar areas also felt very updated and were nice.

The rooms were basic: clean, comfortable, and okay. A really nice bonus was the balcony and spectacular view of the skyline and water. It wasn't really big enough to do anything other than just step out for a look, but that's a big plus over what most hotels offer in the way of a balcony. One odd thing, though, was the room's coffee station, which was dead in the way. If you get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, well, watch out, because it's very easy to trip over it. Also, the bathroom could use more light, but I find most hotel bathrooms suffer from this same problem. And, the room never really did get cool enough for my tastes, no matter how low I set the thermostat.

The hotel does offer a shuttle to and from the airport. While it is a nice amenity, and one of the main reasons I chose this Hilton property, it was spotty. Upon arrival into the airport, I called after I collected my bags. It took twenty minutes or so before it turned up. On the way back out, I was told that it departed every fifteen minutes. This wasn't my experience at all. I waited for about 25 minutes before the front desk finally called--and paid for--a taxi. Kudos to the hotel for offering to foot the bill for the taxi (it was extended as an offer, without my prompting), but they really should make sure that this important amenity is toward the top of their priority list.

All in all, I had a good stay. I'd return and I'd recommend to others, with the caveat to allow extra time to get to the airport and to verify for certain what the actual schedule is--and not just what it's supposed to be--when you're going to leave.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo