“Parking Nightmare and Unresponsive Human Resources”

Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
Ranked #133 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Brought my teenage daughter to San Diego for Spring Break. I drive a Ford Edge 2010 and after checking in entered the parking lot. There is a sign that indicates that the height may be a problem but as I entered it was clear that the parking tunnels to enter and exit were extremely small and tight. I was able to manage to get my car in the structure but barely. Upon exit and after trying to help another guest navigate his F10 Truck so that he coudl try to back out of the parking area due to inadequate space (like me), my car brushed the side of parking garage due to not enough space to accomdate the vehicle and the tight turn. I sustained over 1,200 worth of damage. I called the hotel staff and they indicated that there is a parking issue and to have my insurance call them. I have called the suggeted HR person repeatedly with no return phone call. Bottomline - the hotel parking cannot accomodate wide or longer vehicles and damage can be sustained. Problem is, once you are in, you are stuck. The parking is poorly designed and I would strongly caution travelers from parking at this hotel. AND you have to pay $20.00 to park!! AVOID!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank msvtaylor
Write a ReviewReviews (1,414)

Reviewed March 25, 2011

Hotel was not as good as I hoped, older run down a bit, room was clean enough. The lobby was messy and no one even offered to help me or my daughter carry in any of our 5 bags, weird. However as for locating it was prime as shopping in this area is very good. Would i go back...no. As I stated above, never been to a Doubletree before maybe this is standard for them. Oh yes I did get charged twice for internet, so look at your bill.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2011

Hello Analisa,

I am sorry to hear about your experience here at the Doubletree Downtown San Diego. We pride ourselves in our cleanliness and customer service. Without your comments we cannot improve so I thank you for your response. We have discussed your concerns regarding assistance with your luggage handling with all departments. In the past when we have been busy I personally have assisted in luggage when needed. This will continue with all departments to assure that all guests receive assistance busy or not. I am not sure what bill you have but we do not charge for internet. Please contact us if there is a discrepancy. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed March 23, 2011

The hotel was selected as the two other Hilton properties in the area were sold out. The hotel is located in a pretty good but not amazing area. The staff were helpful. The parking here is seriously insane with incredibly narrow turns. Not sure why anyone in their right mind would design a garage like this. The rooms were pretty nice, very clean, and very spacious. The room would have been better with a flat screen TV. On another note, the printer was not working which was a pain for last minute business needs. Overall, I would once again try the other two Hilton properties before this.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised to see how close this hotel is to Little Italy and the Gaslamp District. A nice eight blocks walk downhill and you're in the middle of the action. The only minor issue is that the patio door did not block out all of the airport and freeway noises. But otherwise a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We were welcomed with a lovely warm cookie and friendly staff, hardly a cue at check in time, we parked in the hotel car park wich was easy. the rooms were lovely, spaciuos, great views you are near the airport we were not woken once. there is a nice shopping centre close by and also lots of bars and resturants you also very close to mexico if you are wanting to drive there. fabulous rooftop pool and a must is san diego zoo great day out!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We chose this hotel for it's price/location combination - was less than other downtown hotels. Rooms were excellent - outstanding even. Quality of employees was lacking - we asked about trolley tour and got little response (surprising for a popular tourist attraction). Asked for lunch recommendation and were told the 'best place in town is in the hotel'. So I would say do not expect much help - but if you want a place downtown, this a good spot.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2011

I had a business trip to San Diego and decided to take my two pre-teen sons with me. I got a great online price deal for this DoubleTree and given the bad TripAdvisor reviews for Hampton Inn in the same area, I decided to go for it. It is NOT the best of DoubleTree offerings. The room was outdated, felt dingy, and was cramped. The front desk staff were CLUELESS about any local restaurants, directions, and other suggestions. They also were also a bit on the rude side. Alas, the immediate access to Little Italy and the trolly station made this stay worth it, as we were out of our room more than in it. Had I stayed there for business only, I would have been extremely disappointed. The internet access was BEYOND PATHETIC and the room arrangement made it impossible for working at the desk for any length of time.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during you stay. Please rest assured that the Front Desk staff has been made aware regarding your experience. We have taken the steps necessary to ensure that future guests do not have the same experience you did.
Again, I apologize for the experience you had with us and I hope that they will not deter you from staying with us again.

Doubletree Management