“Its not the Hilton, but enough for one nights rest”

The Consulate Hotel
Ranked #242 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix,AZ
“Its not the Hilton, but enough for one nights rest”
Reviewed November 23, 2004

Paid under $40.00USD on the net booking, it was a safe, reasonable place to stay. Pool and jacuzzi were ok.
Airport pickup = 10 min wait.must call at baggage claim for pick up
neighborhood not the greatest, but I had no problems.
supermarket across the street also McDonalds, Arbys.
bed was comfortable and view was quite nice. Tuesday night was quiet, no outside disturbing noise. Free pastry and coffee 7am til 10am.
eastside of building has nicest view. 25 "TV all rooms and simple desk.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed September 5, 2004

Cost me $170 to stay in a run down smelly hell hole! And they even had the cheek to charge me $5 for parking!! I'm still trying to get my money back, they should've paid me to stop there. I'm not gonna stop pestering them until I get a full refund. PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE

2 Thank Neil17
Reviewed August 30, 2004

Very nasty hotel. Smelled very bad, parking was very creepy, room had mold all over the cielings and smelled bad, room also had pipes coming out of the cieling. Very unsafe and unsanitary hotel. It was very disappointing and shocking. I couldnt even stay one night, I staying for a total of 20 mins until I could find another hotel. It was a very very bad experiance and will NEVER stay here again.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 19, 2004

I was desperate. I booked a weekend trip the day before I left on Aug. 12. This was done through a AAA rep. In its day this hotel must have been very nice. However now it's one step away from a welfare hotel. They do charge for underground parking which appeared to be relatively safe and convenient. But I would not allow my wife to roam around there or on the premises alone. I told the hotel clerk that the $5.00 parking fee was not listed as part of the AAA and she gave me a permit w/o charge. The room was fair-I expected worse but it was livable for the two nights we were there. As was mentioned before this is not a quality hotel unless your sense of qulaity has set a new low. The hotel was cheaper than all the other hotels around but never pay MORE THAN $90.00 a night to stay here. It is not worth it. I rated it 2 "stars" only because I survived the experience without scars, germs, etc.

• Stayed August 2004
5 Thank gstabc
Reviewed August 8, 2004

This was the worst hotel experience we have ever had. For Approx. $150.00 per night this is what we got.
1. A room that the a/c unit barely worked.
2. A non-smoking room that reeked of cigarette smoke.
3. A bed that the mattress appeared to have been soiled by either someone vomiting or having bowel trouble. We did not discover this until the next morning after sleeping in the bed that night.
4. The room was filthy. My wife would not even shower due to the unsanitary conditions of the room and bathroom.
5. There was evidence that someone had vomited on the carpet and had attempted to clean it up.
6. The bathroom sink fixture handle came off in my hand when I tried to turn the water on.
7. The clerk we checked out with was very nice, he was an older more seasoned clerk, but I had to tell the younger male clerk, who keep interupting in a very rude manner, to shut up and mind his own business as the nice clerk was noting our complaints on a form. I should have taken names, but I didn't. I think the younger, rude clerk was looking for a reason to delay his next customer because she was a lot more upset than I was and she was just waiting her turn. (After talking to her I can see why).
8. We only had 2 bath towels, no wash cloths or hand towels. (We learned long ago to always bring a wash cloth with us).
9. The elevator was a challenge. You were never quite sure you were going to get to your floor or not. At least this was fixed that day.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2004

This stay was the worst hotel experience I had. Problems:
1. Free Parking was advertised on the website. When we checked in, the staff informed us that $5 parking will be charged per night. When we told the staff that the website states Free Parking, he said that this hotel is not owned by Choice but operates under Franchise.
2. We were given room 520. AC was broken. Room was changed to 518 after telling us that they will install a new AC as we unpacked. We threatened to walk out and then they changed the room?
3. Telephone was broken on room 518. No new room was offered for 2 nights. The telephone was not repaired for the entire stay of 3 nights. No compensation was offered. On the third day, we were offered another room. I declined to move because I was sure that something else will be broken in that room
4. On the Second day, a hotel staff (house man) walked in the room without knocking at 7 am in the morning. Fortunately I was awake so I shouted at him to stay out. From 7 to 8 am, 3 more staff disturbed us by asking if we are checking out that day. We had checked in for 3 days. Why would we want to check out the second day? Oh yes, they also deactivated our keys on the second day, so we were all locked out!!
5. The corriders on 5th floor and elevator had the most obnoxious smell on the first 2 nights. My wife almost gagged on the smell the first night. On the second night, we mastered the art of holding our breath in the elevator.
6. The hotel staff did not inform us the breakfast is complimentary. Other guests also checked in in front of us and they were not informed.
7. On the third day of our stay we asked to see the manager. The manager was in the room behind the counter but he did not see us. During our entire stay, we had so many problems, but he did not even once talked to us or apologized. We were told that the manager will get back to us regarding out complain. Its been 3 days since we checked out, but we have NOT received any communication from the manager or from the hotel. the staff at the counter was rude and had no training at customer service.
8. There was only two ice machines on the first floor. They also needed repair. I had to stand 5 minutes holding the button just to fill half of my ice bucket.
9. The pool and the jacuzi had no lights in the night. There were no towels near the pool. There were just 2 pillows and 2 towels in the room

• Stayed July 2004
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brookline, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 14, 2004

I spent one night here in December 2003 while attending a convention.
The bedroom was clean. The bathroom appeared old but was clean overall.
However, the facility probably could use some renovation. The elevator looked kind of shabby; e.g. the tiles were cracked. The lobby area was poorly lit and did not look like it was maintained well. I actually expected the place to be in better shape given that it was "Quality Inn."

• Stayed December 2003, traveled on business