“Long time guest returns”
Review of Inn at the Park

Inn at the Park
Ranked #124 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
PHX
“Long time guest returns”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Ive been staying at the Park Manor Suites since the 90's and it was my favorite hotel in San Diego. Now that I've had a chance to stay at the newly renovated property, I'm still a fan.

The Park Manor Suites was the old gay: antique, ornate, and comfortably shabby. The Inn at the Park is the new gay: high contrast jewel box colors and a little drag queeny. Happily, the rooms are much less dire than in person than the wildly colorful photos suggest.

The property is still funky in its vibe but much more modern in its feel. I particularly enjoyed the addition of valet parking for a reasonable 15 dollars a night. The staff remains the gems they were before the sale and while I miss some aspects of the Queen Anne furniture lobby, I very much enjoyed the updating of the rooms especially the bathrooms and kitchens.

Its wonderful to have a little apartment while traveling and these nicely freshened units make for a comfortable and welcoming environment. Being able to cook a little meal and having a few things in the ice box turn a trip into an experience and the new Inn at the Park, while different from its past, retains the best of what made it my favorite hotel in my home town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Fitz M
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Fitz M: It is always a pleasure to hear from long term guests that continue to return to Inn at the Park had a wonderful stay. Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts of the newly renovated Inn at the Park. We are thrilled on the final outcome as we near the completion of our renovation. It is comforting to know you enjoyed the newly refurbished guest suites and our staff remains keeping customer service a top priority. Thank you again for being a loyal guest and we look forward to your future visit to Inn at the Park.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was in San Diego for a biz trip (convention at the convention center) and brought my partner along. The Inn at the Park was amazing. Very close to Balboa Park, Hillcrest and the Gas Light District. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. If you are gay, the Inn is withing walking distance to Hillcrest. The HUGE rooms are fabulous. Perfect stay in San Diego.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Shannonwarmoth
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Bearclaw6672: It is nice to hear that Inn at the Park was able to turn your business trip into a perfect stay in San Diego. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your recent stay with us went and your comments will be shared with the entire Inn at the Park team. We look forward to your return visit with us in the near future.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Adjacent to Balboa Park in central San Diego, this place is unique for North American hotels. Undergoing a recent (and ongoing) renovation, the rooms are palatial! We had a two bedroom suite facing the front street, sleeping 6 adults. The room had a kitchenette, full sized living room with pull-out chesterfield bed and two spacious bedrooms. The atmosphere is so relaxing that we spent far more time in our room than usual.
Complimentary breakfast is available in the rooftop dining room.
Due to the renovations, the hotel was quieter than usual, but there were no disruptions in service or disturbances.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Peter A: Thank you for your glowing review of your recent visit to Inn at the Park. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy one of our 2 bedroom suites, which are very spacious, and created a relaxing environment for you and your guests. We are in the final phase of renovations and we do our best to minimize any noise or disruption to our guests and I am pleased that we met your expectations in doing so. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your return visit.
San Diego
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I wrote a long detailed review it mysteriously disappeared. Oh well...summary. Rob and Kelly at front desk...fabulous. Great price for ridiculously huge posh room. no AC but nice breezes and fans. Fab bar below and restaurant above. Free breakfast doesn't have hot items but I loved it. I don't know how anyone could complain about the value. It IS a little spooky at nigh, old building and empty rooms under construction. We were upgraded without asking!!!! PLEASE upgrade us again! I want to go back sooooo bad. My new favorite hoteL!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
tigerl: Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay. I am thrilled to learn that Inn at the Park is now your favorite hotel. We strive to meet all guest expectations and I am pleased that we exceeded yours. We look forward to your next visit with us. Thank you again for your feedback.
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed at the Inn at the Park for three nights in early September and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The location is excellent, walkable to all that Balboa Park has to offer and also to Hillcrest. Room was comfortable, had a balcony with excellent city and bay views. Enjoyed the new room decor, a little funky but everything was good, nice bed and housekeeping does excellent job. Would have given hotel 5 stars, but renovation is not complete so some things in the room were not working as of yet. Overall had an excellent stay and would return next time we are in San Diego. Thanks Katelyn and the very friendly staff.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Paul O: Thank you for your rave review of your recent visit to Inn at the Park. I am glad to hear you enjoyed one of our newly renovated suites with a balcony that overlooks the city as well as taking advantage of the great location of Inn at the Park. Balboa Park is definitely a must see when in San Diego. Thank you for patience as we are very excited that we are in the final phase of renovation. Your comments regarding Housekeeping as well as Katelyn are very much appreciated and will be forwarded to the department heads. Thank you again for being our guest and we look forward to your next visit to Inn at the Park.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Really want to give 4 stars but just can't for this past stay. First off the staff is really very friendly, front desk, valet, maid service, waiters and waitresses, Location is also great. Rooftop continental breakfast is great. So where is the problem? The price for this hotel has gone up quite a bit due to renovations that were definitely needed. The renovations though during my stay were not in working order. The rooms look nice with a few weird design flaws including new but already filthy carpet, strange and not attractive decals on the bedroom doors, and bad art-school type campy kitchen silkscreens on glass in the kitchen. I can get over that though. The real bummer was that the new cook top, air conditioning, and dishwasher were not in working order yet. I usually cook my own breakfast in the room and was not able to do this. hotel never used to have air conditioning so I was used to that but it would have been nice as it was a hot week in San Diego while I was there. Maids did the dishes for me. Thank you Maids! Problem, now I have to buy breakfast, tip the maids more, and pay for all these amenities at an average of $50 more per night without actually getting the amenities. There in lies the rub. Valet is also $15 dollars per night when it used to be free parking for guests. So overall, hotel has lost some of it's charm in the renovations and are not really able to justify the price hike with what I see going on. I know they are trying to become a time-share/hotel so if you want to listen to a speech/sales pitch I believe they give you vouchers for free food or coupons or such. May make it more worth it.

Room Tip: ask for balcony, larger rooms and more pricey but great to have.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kennergy
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Kennergy: Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Inn at the Park. I am pleased to hear that through the challenges you experienced, we, as a team were able to remain friendly and provide top customer service. We are currently awaiting the implementation of our Three-Phase power installation. This is expected to be completed mid-September which will then activate the remaining non-working appliances. I sincerely apologize that this process of renovation affected your overall stay. We offer our complimentary continental breakfast on the 7th floor rooftop and as an added amenity, we have added a "cook to order Breakfast Menu" for at an additional cost. As a loyal patron of Inn at the Park, we look forward to your return visit.
Newport News
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Although the hotel was undergoing renovation, we stayed in some of the newly renovated rooms. They were gorgeous with a beautiful view of the bay and Coronado Naval Base. Excellent service they accommodated my brothers wedding party with at least 7 of the total rooms. The restaurant on the roof was delicious and we ate outside with a great view of San Diego. It is right next to Balboa Park for some great exercise and the distance from the gas lamp district to go have fun but still have a quiet nights sleep. The valet services was very convenient although parking opens up across the street all the time. Stay here for a nice intimate feel when visiting pleasant San Diego.

Room Tip: There are two bedrooms in the west that overlook Coronado! The other side was under construction but...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Bomjus: Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay with us here at Inn at the Park. It is comforting to know you enjoyed our newly renovated suites as we are very excited that Inn at the Park is in its final stage of renovation. I would also like to add, it was such a pleasure meeting the bride and groom, along with their family. I am glad to hear it was a great weekend for all and Inn at the Park was able to be part of the special occasion. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to your return visit.