“Enjoyed our stay”

Inn at the Park
Ranked #128 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed at the Inn at the Park for three nights in early September and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The location is excellent, walkable to all that Balboa Park has to offer and also to Hillcrest. Room was comfortable, had a balcony with excellent city and bay views. Enjoyed the new room decor, a little funky but everything was good, nice bed and housekeeping does excellent job. Would have given hotel 5 stars, but renovation is not complete so some things in the room were not working as of yet. Overall had an excellent stay and would return next time we are in San Diego. Thanks Katelyn and the very friendly staff.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Paul O: Thank you for your rave review of your recent visit to Inn at the Park. I am glad to hear you enjoyed one of our newly renovated suites with a balcony that overlooks the city as well as taking advantage of the great location of Inn at the Park. Balboa Park is definitely a must see when in San Diego. Thank you for patience as we are very excited that we are in the final phase of renovation. Your comments regarding Housekeeping as well as Katelyn are very much appreciated and will be forwarded to the department heads. Thank you again for being our guest and we look forward to your next visit to Inn at the Park.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Really want to give 4 stars but just can't for this past stay. First off the staff is really very friendly, front desk, valet, maid service, waiters and waitresses, Location is also great. Rooftop continental breakfast is great. So where is the problem? The price for this hotel has gone up quite a bit due to renovations that were definitely needed. The renovations though during my stay were not in working order. The rooms look nice with a few weird design flaws including new but already filthy carpet, strange and not attractive decals on the bedroom doors, and bad art-school type campy kitchen silkscreens on glass in the kitchen. I can get over that though. The real bummer was that the new cook top, air conditioning, and dishwasher were not in working order yet. I usually cook my own breakfast in the room and was not able to do this. hotel never used to have air conditioning so I was used to that but it would have been nice as it was a hot week in San Diego while I was there. Maids did the dishes for me. Thank you Maids! Problem, now I have to buy breakfast, tip the maids more, and pay for all these amenities at an average of $50 more per night without actually getting the amenities. There in lies the rub. Valet is also $15 dollars per night when it used to be free parking for guests. So overall, hotel has lost some of it's charm in the renovations and are not really able to justify the price hike with what I see going on. I know they are trying to become a time-share/hotel so if you want to listen to a speech/sales pitch I believe they give you vouchers for free food or coupons or such. May make it more worth it.

Room Tip: ask for balcony, larger rooms and more pricey but great to have.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kennergy
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Kennergy: Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Inn at the Park. I am pleased to hear that through the challenges you experienced, we, as a team were able to remain friendly and provide top customer service. We are currently awaiting the implementation of our Three-Phase power installation. This is expected to be completed mid-September which will then activate the remaining non-working appliances. I sincerely apologize that this process of renovation affected your overall stay. We offer our complimentary continental breakfast on the 7th floor rooftop and as an added amenity, we have added a "cook to order Breakfast Menu" for at an additional cost. As a loyal patron of Inn at the Park, we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Although the hotel was undergoing renovation, we stayed in some of the newly renovated rooms. They were gorgeous with a beautiful view of the bay and Coronado Naval Base. Excellent service they accommodated my brothers wedding party with at least 7 of the total rooms. The restaurant on the roof was delicious and we ate outside with a great view of San Diego. It is right next to Balboa Park for some great exercise and the distance from the gas lamp district to go have fun but still have a quiet nights sleep. The valet services was very convenient although parking opens up across the street all the time. Stay here for a nice intimate feel when visiting pleasant San Diego.

Room Tip: There are two bedrooms in the west that overlook Coronado! The other side was under construction but...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Bomjus: Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay with us here at Inn at the Park. It is comforting to know you enjoyed our newly renovated suites as we are very excited that Inn at the Park is in its final stage of renovation. I would also like to add, it was such a pleasure meeting the bride and groom, along with their family. I am glad to hear it was a great weekend for all and Inn at the Park was able to be part of the special occasion. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

When I read the other reviews I was a bit skeptical but there was no cause for it. This place is lovely. I travel to San Diego for business fairly regularly and I would definitely stay here again. If you get booked in a room it would be remodeled as they are half done and the suites not complete are gutted so you couldn’t stay there anyway. The staff is friendly and helpful. Parking is $15 a night but we were there for 5 days and 4 nights and never had an issue finding street parking either on Spruce or very close by. The location was good too. Close to the airport (about 10 minutes) and lots of places where you can walk to eat. I tried Hash House A Go Go that everyone raves about that is about 4 blocks away and I thought it was just okay. Not sure what the excitement is about.

The room at this hotel is spectacular. Well-appointed and I loved the décor. We had a studio and it was quite roomy. The sofa has got to be at least 8 feet in length – I’ve never seen a larger sofa and it was crazy comfortable which you don’t often find in a hotel. They had a flat screen TV that I thought at first was in a weird location on the wall but it actually swivels nicely to either the bed or the sofa. There’s a little kitchen with the prerequisite stove top, refrigerator (a quiet one), coffee pot etc. Since they are indeed in the midst of remodeling the stove didn’t work but it was only a mild inconvenience. There’s a table with 2 very comfortable chairs in our unit and it’s close to the window that I could open and get a nice breeze.

The bathroom was well stocked with fresh linens and soaps. I didn’t like the shampoo and lotion options but it may just be a personal preference. I loved the fact they had a magnified mirror in the bathroom which made it easier to apply makeup. They also had all kinds of shelves to store your things. I didn’t like that I had to reach into the shower to turn it on then jump back as to not get wet while the water was heating. I see that a lot and I think it’s a serious design flaw. The other thing was the towels. While white and fluffy they felt on my skin as though they had not been washed right out of the package since they were new. So I found myself not reusing them so I could get something softer and on occasion I did. There’s also what I would call a dressing room with a place to hang things and a dresser with lots of drawers. The bed was comfy with fresh white linens and plenty of pillows.

No fitness center which I hated. I know I could have worked out at a place nearby but I wanted an in-hotel option.

So a few people mentioned the noise so I’ll address that too. True the place currently doesn’t have air conditioning but honestly if they had it I wouldn’t have used it. Plenty of breezes coming in thru the open windows and the ceiling fan made it plenty comfortable. In the evenings I even used a blanket. So with the windows open could you hear the cars going by and an occasional ambulance? Sure. Was it an issue? I don’t think so. If you live in the boonies somewhere where it’s quiet and you can only hear the crickets sing it might bother you. But I just felt it was not noticeable most of the time. I worked during the day on the kitchen table and I never once heard construction in or out of the hotel. It didn’t wake me and I had no issues sleeping with the windows open. If you’re a light sleeper then you may want to think about it and stay somewhere well distanced from the traffic – like maybe Iowa.

Room Tip: I stayed with my room facing Spruce and it had an acceptable noise level
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

NaomiBTravelin: Thank you for your glowing review for Inn at the Park. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed one of our newly renovated suits with the new decor. While our suites are well equipped, thank you for your patience as we transition throught the final phase of renovations to get the stovetops and other appliances functional. While Inn at the Park currently does not offer A/C, mother nature has been very kind to us here in San Diego, so opening up the windows and allowing the nice breeze to enter your room is nice. We are as well excited to be able to offer A/C in each newly renovated guest suite in mid-September. Thank you again for being our guest here at Inn at the Park and i look forward to your return visit with us in the near future for business or for pleasure.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed two nights at this very upscaled hotel during August. The hotel still a work in progress. Our room was very well appointed. Despite the high price per night, there was no air conditioning and the dishwasher did not work. Nor did all of the outlets. We were informed of this just at check in when there is not much to do after our lengthy travel to reach to location. It was necessary to keep the windows open as the lack of air conditioning meant not being able to close the windows. The hotel is located on a very very noisy corner especially on the weekends and so it was not always pleasant. Too bad. Unfortunately there was no price reduction in light of lack of full facility and service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Ron G: Thank you for your feebback regarding your recent stay here at Inn at the Park. Your feedback is extremely important as we move through the final phase of renovation. As mentioned in your review, all avaiable suites are now fully renovated, and currently we are awaiting the implementation of our Three-Phase power installation, which will activate the remaining non-working appliances in all renovated guest suites starting in mid-September. Please contact me directly to arrange a future visit to Inn at the Park to demonstrate the quality and service for which our resort is capable once renovations are complete. I look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed mid way through a massive renovation, they are stripping most rooms down to bones and recreating a funky deco style, while upgrading them with modern kitchens and baths.
My suite was wonderful and quiet, in sprite of the work going on at the hotel.
It's affordable and I walked easily to the gay area and the San Diego Zoo.
Additionally, every staff member from valets to desk to bartenders were very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: August 2012
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

MicahHilgendorf: Thank you for your review. As you mentioned in your review, we are on the last phase of renovation and I am pleased that we are able to present our newly renovated rooms while keeping with the old charm whilelist creating a modern decor in our guest suites. It is wonderful to hear that from the Valet, Bartenders, Front Desk, every staff member you encountered was friendly and efficient. I will be sharing your comments with the management team. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return visit to Inn at the Park.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

The hotel staff was very helpful upon my arrival, and did everything possible to find me a room so that I could check in early. The room i received was a two bedroom - two actual bedrooms, with a living room and full kitchen! suite that was immaculate, nicely decorated and recently remodeled. i had chosen the hotel as i thought it was close to the gas lamp district. it is not as close as i had thought, but it is nevertheless close to many attractions in the city (Balboa Park San Diego Zoo, etc.) The gas lamp district is actually quite a few blocks away and I would not want to walk in that area at night. It is somewhat equidistant from the gas lamp district and university avenue, which also has a lot of shops and restaurants.

It is important to point out, in case it matters to you, that this hotel is gay friendly. I am not gay (not that there is anything wring with that ;), and had no problem with it, but it is worth pointing out. There is no pool in the hotel, and dont be confused by the sign outside that says Manor Suites, that is the old name of the now Inn at The Park.

It is an old building and floor noises (from people walking the floor above you) is common. There is also some street noise but it was very tolerable when I was there. Valet parking is $15 a night, which is quite reasonable.

However, IF you plan to party in the gas lamp district, do not expect this hotel to be a manageable distance away once you have imbibed several alcoholic drinks, it si quite a walk, and not always a good one. It is however a very good value in a very good area and once remodeling is complete all the rooms will be as beautiful as the one I received

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

Graycloudrios: Thank you for your rave review for Inn at the Park. I am pleased to hear that our 1100 sqft (2) bdrm suite was befitting your and your guests. I am equally pleased that you gave us 2 thumbs up on the remodel/renovation of the suite. Thank you again for your time and feedback and we look forward to your return visit to Inn at the Park.