“Friendly Service - Budget Hotel”
Review of Old Town Inn

Old Town Inn
Ranked #11 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 28, 2006

My family and I stayed in a Family Suite and found the Old Town Inn to be a great place to stay. We were given a friendly greeting and everything was in order. The room was large and extremely clean. The only thing we really could complain about was the location. The hotel is located in an industrial area fairly close to the airport. This makes it somewhat noisy. For the price you won't find anything even close to it in San Diego.

• Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank HappyFamilyVancouver

Reviewed February 22, 2006

My family stayed at the Old Town Inn, San Diego for three nights. The hotel was really a great place to stay at an excellent price of $75 dollars a night. We stayed in a deluxe efficiency room which included a gas stove, microwave and a fridge. The continental breakfast was excellent, and included fresh fruit, cereal, juice, milk, coffee and tea and we were even able to make our own waffles using their waffle irons. They had free high-speed internet access in the lobby, but I was able to access it from my room several yards away. The pool was nice as well. The only noise that was somewhat a bother was when the neighboring rooms used their water. I could hear the noise in the pipes in my room rather clearly. Other than that, this was a great place to stay and at an excellent price.

8  Thank TGann
Reviewed February 20, 2006

Who are we? My wife and I celebrated our 30+ anniversary (allowing a ten year time frame helps keep you right!) while we were on this Vacation. I am sixty one (also celebrated that milestone on this vacation.); my wife is five years younger. We are time share owners, since 1997, in Florida, Westgate Vacation Villas. We exchanged one of our weeks for Desert Springs II and another for Marriott’s Newport Coast Villas (Newport CA). and spent two nights at Palm Springs Marquis Villas Resort, with another couple .(I have written reviews on these.) We were on our first California visit. We were on holidays, in California, from January 26 to our return to Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Valentines Day February 14th. We arrived home to -40 degree temperature. (It is the same temperature in C. or F.) . We often travel with another couple but this time we were just the two of us. Unforeseen circumstances prevented another couple from joining us.
We also stayed one night each at “Hermosa Hotel” Avalon, Catalina Island ,(Review is complete) and “Desert Hills Hotel” in Palm Springs.(In the Marriott’s Newport Coast Villas, Newport Beach Review, I mistakenly called it Desert Springs Inn) I plan to write up on Desert Hills Hotel as well. We followed Trip Advisor for the hotels mentioned and Hermosa Hotel. We found the reports to be very accurate when one considered the consistent comments. (Also checked the reviews on the timeshares, but we were confident we knew what to expect at them.)
This was a situation where we were in Newport Beach and had a night and the better part of two days to fill in before our return to Palm Springs. We had thought about going to Mexico but decided that was too much and I’m glad we made that decision. While we were at the Newport library, being guest computer users, my wife was looking after emails and I checked out the motels in San Diego on Trip Advisor. Old Town Inn seemed very inexpensive and had gotten good reviews. We felt we had been lucky with Hotel Hermosa in Avalon would we try our luck again? I phoned and was offered a room for $65.00 I booked it! We arrived about 3:00 P.M. my wife wasn’t feeling very well, just a little off. I asked if an upgraded room might be available. I was offered a room with a queen bed, a microwave, and bar fridge. It was a little bigger and $10.00 more. (A Special Price!) My wife rested and I looked around. The pool area was very well looked after, as was the lobby. It appeared all the staff I talked to are proud of the inn! Again, all the positive things that have been said, we agree with. We did not experience any problem with noise or any other negative situations. My wife felt better after a rest. I got direction to Old Town and asked if it was safe for us to walk there. They said they had not had any trouble and we left about 5:30 P.M. for a walk around Old Town. It was great! There were shops and a band, very enjoyable! We got into a Pizza Restaurant,(My wife’s favorite!) around 9:00 P.M. We enjoyed the meal and walked back to the Hotel. We felt very safe all the time! The next morning, we went for a great breakfast as has been described in other reviews. We bought tickets for the Trolley Tour at the Inn for $28.00 each. (They said leaving our vehicle at the Inn would not be a problem.) We walked to the Trolley in old Town around 10:00 A.M. and had a quick tour of San Diego. We returned about 2:00 P.M. We had a quick lunch and left for Palm Springs about 2:30.
This is a very nice hotel, well maintained and would be great for a family. It was great for us. I noticed at breakfast the customers were middle age or older. A really nice hotel, at a very good price, in a great location for Old Town or transit connection. You could take a tram to Mexico! Great value!

• Stayed: February 2006
11  Thank tar
Reviewed February 11, 2006

Simply the best. Very courteous staff will help you in any way they can. Clean almost to a fault. We stayed in the least expensive room which accommodated only one queen bed but the mattress was very good and comfortable. Breakfast options are about the best for any inexpensive motel we've gone to.

The location is very close to the Old Town trolley station -- consider buying a multi-day transit pass there. You can go to and from the airport by a slightly indirect route for very little money, but the transit passes are not available at the airport. You will need exact change for the bus fare if you take the bus/trolley from the airport.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank KaraEco
A TripAdvisor Member
albany, ny
Reviewed January 30, 2006

After almost getting ripped off by a very shady car rental company just after landing in San Diego, we arrived at the hotel in a rotten mood. The smiling young lady (Kelly?) at the desk immediatly asked what was wrong. We told her and she gave us a small upgrade to our room to make us feel better. She keep smiling and chatting about where to eat, the easy access to public transportation if needed, and in seconds we were in a good mood again.
The next morning, after having a nice free breakfast in the lobby, we told David the manager (who is also always smiling and seems to love his job) about how his thoughtful night shift worker lifted our spirits so quickly. He smiled (did I mention that everyone at this place smiles all the time?) and said that he does not hire experianced hotel workers. He hires people based on having a helpful happy attitude and then trains them on how to perform the job.
What a great concept!
Sure the Hotel is a very good value, but it is the great staff there that helped get us back into the spirit of our vacation.
Thank you all.

• Stayed: June 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 22, 2006

This hotel was a great find. It is located kind of out of the way on a main thorougfare, but you can quickly travel downtown in no time. We were not bothered at all by traffic noise.
The rooms were large and clean. Had a comfortable bed, couch, nice tv, large bathroom. . . just great for the price.
Good breakfast in the morning too.
Great price! Clean room! No problems!

• Stayed: January 2006
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 5, 2006

The Old Town Inn is well worth staying at for any visit to San Diego. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The pool is within a courtyard. A very pretty hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean. Our room even had two sinks, a large counter, fridge and microwave. We chose this hotel based on the reviews on TripAdvisor.com and was not disappointed. As stated in previous reviews and as we can confirm, it is close to a busy road but the noise was not loud at all (our room was the second room next to the busy road) and we were pleasantly surprised that it was quiet. The breakfast was great -- we loved the waffles made in a waffle iron as well as the freshly boiled eggs. This hotel is located in an industrial area but it felt very safe. The rates were very affordable. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting San Diego.

• Stayed: December 2005