“Good Location, Good Breakfast, but Tiny Room with Ants”
Review of Old Town Inn

Old Town Inn
Ranked #11 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 30, 2005

We stayed at the Old Town Inn for four nights on our vacation in August, 2005 and paid a average of about $77/night, including tax. This included a free continental breakfast, which featured make-your-own Belgian waffles and other wonderful items in a spacious breakfast room. The hotel was centrally located, near a major freeway, and in what appeared to be a quiet warehouse area. We visited the Old Town historic village (a 5-10 minute walk) and enjoyed some excellent Mexican food. The trolley and transit center, which we also utilized, is there as well.
Although both sections of the hotel appear nearly the same, we later learned that there is a new section and an old one, and our "economy" room was in the old one. The room gave new definition to the word "cozy"; the better word would have been "tiny". The closet was ridiculous (barely large enough for one person's clothes, let alone two people), and you couldn't fully open the door because of the bed. The bathroom sink ledge was also too small for two traveler's toiletries. But the crowning insult was the infestation of ants behind and on the dresser. The room was sprayed twice and smelled awful. When we complained to the front office, instead of apologizing, they said we should have expected ants "because San Diego sits on top of an ant hill". (?)
We would still recommend this hotel because of its location and wonderful free breakfast, but strongly suggest securing a room in the new section (on the right of the hotel). We poked our heads in two open rooms in that section and they were definitely larger (and probably more expensive).

12  Thank bills47

Reviewed August 29, 2005

Location can be a blessing and a curse; it is both for this hotel. It is surrounded by industry on all four sides. You would not want to take a romantic walk with the spouse in the area around the hotel. However, Sea World is only about 8 minutes from the hotel (driving) and there are many stores and restaurants with 1½ miles from the hotel (Chili's, Target, Ralph's Supermarket, Big 5 Sporting Goods, In-N-Out Burger, Krispy Cream Donuts - all of which are located on Sports Arena Blvd. just west of the hotel). The hotel itself is well kept up and attractive. The staff was as friendly and helpful as I have ever seen, and our room was immaculate.
The small pool was very clean. The expanded breakfast bar is similar to Holiday Inn Express. Getting there is a bit of a challenge, but you'll be OK if you follow the directions from their web site.
A few other comments - parking is very tight - if you have a large vehicle or SUV, it takes some effort to get in and out. Both nights we stayed there, there was a lot of loud talking coming from the room above us until about 3:00 AM. Not enough to keep me up, but it was annoying. And one last minor annoyance - the showerhead in our room was 5 feet - it was a challenge to get my head under there.
All in all, however, a very pleasant stay for the price.

• Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank pjhorton21
A TripAdvisor Member
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2005

We stayed at the Old Town Inn and enjoyed it very much. We have an opportunity to go again to San Diego in August '06, and I will book the Old Town Inn.

It is across the street from the Old Town Station where you can access the train into town.

The complimentary breakfast is excellent with make-your-own waffles, fruit, toast, cereal, fresh fruit salad, muffins, danish, coffee, tea, hot chocolate.

The staff are very helpful (especially Edward at the front desk - thank you Edward).

Our room consisted of two queen beds with a kitchenette. Excellent for long stays. The bath was clean as a whistle with a wall that separated the main room from the bath. Also, the shower/flush is separate, so someone can be in the shower while another is getting ready at the sink.

Pool is nice and very clean.
Five minutes (about) from the airport.
Lots of literature on local attractions.
Staff are willing to give you information on local area.
Liquor store just behind hotel (5 minute walk)
Restaurants are across the street (Historic Old Town)

Wonderful stay. Would recommend!

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 6, 2005

My husband and I recently stayed at the Old Town Inn. First, I found the staff helpful and cordial when we checked in. We expected an economy style hotel but were rather put off by the musty, deodorizer smell of the room when we first entered it. The room was located in a separate part of the hotel a little ways down the street. The queen bed was OK, (had a torn, worn bedspread), but the room was small. I would suggest upgrading to a larger room with more space and a refrigerator (we didn't have one). The first night we realized the air conditioning unit would not turn off so we had to unplug it each night despite assurances from the manager that a work order would be processed immediately. The second night loud music from the room next door ruined an otherwise peaceful evening. By 11:30 pm, after complaining over the phone several times,I told the staff in person I would call the police if they would not take care of the loud noise. I think the music stopped on its own around midnight. The next night we spotted a little cockroach scurrying across the dresser. My husband took care of it, but we were starting to regret our stay. On the up side the breakfast was good, the pool nice with lovely plants and flowers, and we were getting used to the quaint, old fashioned cramped quarters. Had it not been for the strange smell (bug spray maybe?), loud music, broken air unit, and the cockroach, our stay at the Old town Inn would have been perfect. The moral of this story is be prepared for the unexpected.

• Stayed: August 2005
10  Thank rbceres
Reviewed July 28, 2005

We stayed at the Old Town Inn from July 21st through 25th, 2005, in room 106. The room was a typical room (clean) with two queen beds, table with a chair, an outer vanity area with a sink and a small coffee maker. Inside the bathroom was an additional sink that came in very handy. The hotel landscaping is very pretty (lots of greenery with flowers) and the heated pool is very sparkling (it would be nice if they had a hot tub). After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, we thought the breakfast was going to be extraordinary but it was just satisfactory. There were two waffle makers, cereals, danishes, muffins, toast or bagels, fruit (bowl of canned fruit and apples), coffee/hot tea/hot chocolate, boiled eggs, and orange juice. The dining area can be very crowded on the weekends but during the week wasn't bad. The hotel is comparable to La Quinta or Comfort Inn and is very conveniently located to all the sights. The staff is very kind and informative and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2005
9  Thank MarikoH
A TripAdvisor Member
St Paul, MN
Reviewed July 27, 2005

Seeing the Old Town Inn rated as the 10th best hotel in San Diego, and reading all the glowing reviews here, we obviously thought we had uncovered a hidden gem. Trip Advisor has always been reliable for us, but definately not this time. To begin with, the hotel is not really in Old Town. It is located on an industrial road about a mile from the historic district. You can walk to the historic Old Town area, but you have to walk along Pacific Hwy for a bit, then cross under the freeway and past the train station to get to it. No way would I take my family along this route after dark.

The room was old and had a musty smell. The furniture looked like it was from the 1970's. We were awoken both mornings at 5am by the garbage truck behind the hotel. To make matters worse, someone's dog starting barking out in the hallway at 7am and this went on for 30 minutes both mornings.

The breakfast that everyone raves about is nothing more than a waffle maker, donuts, muffins, cereal, and yogurt. Of course the breakfast area is so small that it was always difficult to find somewhere to sit, especially if you have more than 2 people in your group. I took a quick peek at the pool which was very small like you would find at any budget motel. Parking is tight, we couldn't find a space when we first arrived late at night. Each space is very narrow, and pretty difficult to get in and out of the car when you can barely open the car door.

The final straw was having to kill a cockroach in the bathroom in the middle of the night. I've never checked out of a hotel earlier than planned in my life, but we did that next morning.

Yes, the front desk staff are friendly, and it's a convenient location for getting to Sea World and Old Town(by car), but it should be clarified that the Old Town Inn is simply a 1 star budget motel. You'll save some money staying here but it was not worth it. I can only conclude that all these glowing reviews are either fabricated by the owners of the motel, or the people submitting there opinions are comparing the place to a Motel 6 or Super 8. Giving it 5 stars is ridiculous. What would they give the Hotel del Coronado?

We stayed our final night at the Courtyard San Diego Central for only $30 more a night. The place was great. We were definately penny wise and pound foolish on this one.

• Stayed: July 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 11, 2005

I have stayed in dozens of hotels-motels in San Diego over the last 30 years as I live just 2 hours away. We booked this by all the great reviews on this site. We hesitantly booked the economy room for $71. When we got there the staff was awesome. I told them my concerns on the economy & they gave me a key to look at 1st saying they want me to be thoroughly happy with my stay. Well, the room is small & a ways from the main area. Not bad by any means but I asked to see a little nicer & larger room. We looked at room 204 & were delighted. The front desk clerk, Sarah charged us only $15 more & let me tell you it was well worth it. A king size bed, sofa & coffee table, microwave, refrigerator, iron & board, coffee table, table w/2 chairs, large screen TV with HBO. Bathroom had tub/shower & outside the bath is a very large sink area with tons of rooms to put all my makeup & hair access. The pool area is lovely w/beautiful flowers. The deluxe continental breakfast was great. I have read people not so pleased with it but if you want a cooked to order breakfast stay at Embassy Suites for $200 +. The breakfast consisted of 2 waffle makers with the batter poured in individual cups, many hot & cold cereals, bagels, sweet rolls & toast, cream cheese & jams, apples & oranges, fruit cocktail, hard boiled eggs, juice & coffee, tea & cocoa. FREE! A small observance that I was impressed with is that their vending machine sodas were only 75 cents. The whole place was immaculate & staff personnel genuinely warm & caring. A special thanks to Doug at the front desk also who was so much fun to talk to. This will be my motel of choice for my future trips. If you have any questions on good shopping & eating in San Diego please feel free to email me.

• Stayed: July 2003