“Not Bad”

Ranked #19 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Apache Jct., Arizona
“Not Bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2005

We stayed at the Old Town Inn from July 21st through 25th, 2005, in room 106. The room was a typical room (clean) with two queen beds, table with a chair, an outer vanity area with a sink and a small coffee maker. Inside the bathroom was an additional sink that came in very handy. The hotel landscaping is very pretty (lots of greenery with flowers) and the heated pool is very sparkling (it would be nice if they had a hot tub). After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, we thought the breakfast was going to be extraordinary but it was just satisfactory. There were two waffle makers, cereals, danishes, muffins, toast or bagels, fruit (bowl of canned fruit and apples), coffee/hot tea/hot chocolate, boiled eggs, and orange juice. The dining area can be very crowded on the weekends but during the week wasn't bad. The hotel is comparable to La Quinta or Comfort Inn and is very conveniently located to all the sights. The staff is very kind and informative and we would stay there again.

9 Thank MarikoH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2005

Seeing the Old Town Inn rated as the 10th best hotel in San Diego, and reading all the glowing reviews here, we obviously thought we had uncovered a hidden gem. Trip Advisor has always been reliable for us, but definately not this time. To begin with, the hotel is not really in Old Town. It is located on an industrial road about a mile from the historic district. You can walk to the historic Old Town area, but you have to walk along Pacific Hwy for a bit, then cross under the freeway and past the train station to get to it. No way would I take my family along this route after dark.

The room was old and had a musty smell. The furniture looked like it was from the 1970's. We were awoken both mornings at 5am by the garbage truck behind the hotel. To make matters worse, someone's dog starting barking out in the hallway at 7am and this went on for 30 minutes both mornings.

The breakfast that everyone raves about is nothing more than a waffle maker, donuts, muffins, cereal, and yogurt. Of course the breakfast area is so small that it was always difficult to find somewhere to sit, especially if you have more than 2 people in your group. I took a quick peek at the pool which was very small like you would find at any budget motel. Parking is tight, we couldn't find a space when we first arrived late at night. Each space is very narrow, and pretty difficult to get in and out of the car when you can barely open the car door.

The final straw was having to kill a cockroach in the bathroom in the middle of the night. I've never checked out of a hotel earlier than planned in my life, but we did that next morning.

Yes, the front desk staff are friendly, and it's a convenient location for getting to Sea World and Old Town(by car), but it should be clarified that the Old Town Inn is simply a 1 star budget motel. You'll save some money staying here but it was not worth it. I can only conclude that all these glowing reviews are either fabricated by the owners of the motel, or the people submitting there opinions are comparing the place to a Motel 6 or Super 8. Giving it 5 stars is ridiculous. What would they give the Hotel del Coronado?

We stayed our final night at the Courtyard San Diego Central for only $30 more a night. The place was great. We were definately penny wise and pound foolish on this one.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
long beach california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2005

I have stayed in dozens of hotels-motels in San Diego over the last 30 years as I live just 2 hours away. We booked this by all the great reviews on this site. We hesitantly booked the economy room for $71. When we got there the staff was awesome. I told them my concerns on the economy & they gave me a key to look at 1st saying they want me to be thoroughly happy with my stay. Well, the room is small & a ways from the main area. Not bad by any means but I asked to see a little nicer & larger room. We looked at room 204 & were delighted. The front desk clerk, Sarah charged us only $15 more & let me tell you it was well worth it. A king size bed, sofa & coffee table, microwave, refrigerator, iron & board, coffee table, table w/2 chairs, large screen TV with HBO. Bathroom had tub/shower & outside the bath is a very large sink area with tons of rooms to put all my makeup & hair access. The pool area is lovely w/beautiful flowers. The deluxe continental breakfast was great. I have read people not so pleased with it but if you want a cooked to order breakfast stay at Embassy Suites for $200 +. The breakfast consisted of 2 waffle makers with the batter poured in individual cups, many hot & cold cereals, bagels, sweet rolls & toast, cream cheese & jams, apples & oranges, fruit cocktail, hard boiled eggs, juice & coffee, tea & cocoa. FREE! A small observance that I was impressed with is that their vending machine sodas were only 75 cents. The whole place was immaculate & staff personnel genuinely warm & caring. A special thanks to Doug at the front desk also who was so much fun to talk to. This will be my motel of choice for my future trips. If you have any questions on good shopping & eating in San Diego please feel free to email me.

• Stayed July 2003
7 Thank ourladyofrevlon
Buckeye, AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2005

We arrived at The Old Town Inn on 7-7th for a one night stay. I was extremely excited to stay there after reading all the fabulous reviews here on Tripadvisor. All the reviews I read praised David as being a wonderful host. When we checked in David was helping another guest on the phone and seemed to be going out of his way to help this person searching for a vacant hotel-(they were booked) going as far as looking up phone numbers for this wayward traveler. What great customer service! Unfortunately as David was busy we were checked in by Sarah who has a lot to learn from David it seems, she was curt, short and never offered so much as a smile or a welcome. The room being a non smoking room smelled musty and old, sheets came off both beds throughout the night, they don't seem to fit the pillowtop mattresses as they should. I would reccommend this hotel for someone not looking for anything special just a clean place to sleep at night. I was extremely disappointed as I expected a lot more.

7 Thank Kelli B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2005

The Hotel was FANTASTIC. The staff was very helpful and friendly.
Wonderful customer service. We are getting married next year and will have our out of town guests stay here. Great location!! The hotel was not only beautiful but very clean. Thank you to Doug Lay and the rest of the staff. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sacramento, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2005

Staff was fun and friendly. The inn was only an industrial area, but it was like an oasis. Close to everything, clean, reasonable - all you could hope for on a budget. Right across the street from public transportation and the old town part of San Diego.

Stayed June 2005
11 Thank catsprat
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2005

I stayed at this motel for two nights in May. I had a wonderful experience. My room was a Deluxe room with a king sized bed. The room was large and very clean. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable with directions to any place I needed to go. I wanted to go downtown to the Gas Lamp District and the staff suggested taking the trolley. One of the trolley stops was located in Old Town, which is a short walking distant from the motel. I felt very safe, even returning back to the motel in the evening. It sure beats driving and paying extremely high parking prices. The trolley is the way to go.

I enjoyed their free breakfast bar (cereals, breads, fruits, muffins & bagals)free breakfast bar. It also had a variety of juices, milk and coffee. I never left on an empty stomach. There was a very pleasant young lady constantly making sure that the food was always in supply.

I did not get a chance to swim in the pool, but it did look charming and inviting. I know if I return to San Diego again, that I will definitely stay at the Old Town Inn again.

• Stayed May 2005