“Great value and location”
Review of Old Town Inn

Old Town Inn
Ranked #11 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 3, 2005

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at this hotel after reading all of the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed. This is definitely the place to stay in San Diego if you are not renting a car. We were able to walk to the Sports Arena, the reason we were in town. Also, the trolley and bus lines are right up the road. We were able to get to SeaWorld, the Zoo, and the beach easily using the station. The hotel is in an industrial area (next to a psychiatric hospital) but we still felt safe enough to walk back to the hotel in the dark.

We stayed May 29-June 2 in an older economy room. We checked in 3 hours early with no problems and would have been upgraded at no charge, had there been a nicer available-but it was the holiday weekend, so they were booked solid. The room and bathroom were tiny and the shower made an awful squealing noise(not pleasant to wake up to!) The pool area was nice, beautiful flowers everywhere, but no hot tub. The breakfast was good, service at the front desk was unbeatable. Doug was especially corteous and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed June 2, 2005

After reading other reviews here, we decided to try this place. The motel was very clean and the grounds are beautiful. We stayed in a deluxe room, so I don't know about the others. The staff was very friendly and helpful in pointing out attractions and ways to get around the area. I was a little disappointed in the breakfast, after reading such good reviews. It was to us just your average continental breakfast. We would recommend a trip to Old Town and while you are there eat at Old Town Mexican Restaurant. The food was superb. I would recommend this motel for anyone that wants a clean affordable room.

3  Thank Parker Holly
Reviewed May 30, 2005

Stayed at the Old Town Inn for four nights from May 23 to May 27. What a wonderful place to stay. My friend and I were even able to check in two hours before normal check-in time. The room we stayed in was on the third floor, very clean, roomy and quiet. Had a kitchenette and the staff even gave us a box of dishes, pans and utensils to use during out stay. The grounds of the Inn are nicely landscaped and has plenty of parking available. The continental breakfast they offered was another plus. The Inn is centrally located and the printout the staff gave us of directions to sites and stores was extremely helpful. Laundry room wasn't expensive and they have full load machines...drying time was an unbelievable 40 minutes. I highly recommend a stay at this hotel and have already suggested it to friends and relatives. Will definately stay here on my next trip to San Diego!

2  Thank FXDXRIDER
Reviewed May 25, 2005

A friend and I stayed at the Old Town Inn last week for four nights. I researched this hotel on this site and decided to give it a try. I am glad I did. We had room 136 in the older part and looked out to the pool and all the beautiful flowers all around the hotel. The staff was wonderful and so friendly. The breakfast was adequate and the room although it was old had good beds. For the price and the closeness to Old Town and the Trolley and bus terminal (right across the street) I think it was a very good deal. I'd go back there if I ever go into San Deigo again because it is so easy to get anywhere from there.

2  Thank Lov2tvl
A TripAdvisor Member
Tustin, California
Reviewed May 22, 2005

I selected this hotel because of all the reviews in tripadvisor.com after trying to find a good hotel with a reasonable price which hardly any at all in San Diego area. We stayed for 2 nights from May 20 - May 22 for our 16th wedding anniversary. I thought I got more than what I bargained for! I was impressed with the size of the room, the cleanliness, the friendliness of the staff, the inn's landscaping, and the BREAKFAST! We have been to inns with continental breakfast before, but this one is definitely the BEST.

I agree with all the positive reviews of this hotel in this site. I haven't tried using the transportation that was recommended by others in their reviews but definitely will try it next time since we definitely will go back. But we did use the recommendations of the staff to visit Old Town and had a very good time. Old Town has the best Mexican food there is. The driving directions that the staff gave us to the Gas Lamp District was right and was very useful!

We did try the pool and the water was warm, 82 F. The landscaping is pleasing to the eyes (water fountain, green grass and foliage, and flowers).

Agree, if you are used to Hyatt hotel, this is definitely not your choice. But if you overlook the surroundings of the inn and just concentrate on what this inn offers to you, you will leave this hotel with much better feeling than if you stayed in Hyatt. Staying in this inn, you will receive the personal attention and help from the staff that you won't get in the luxurious hotels. It should have been called a Bed & Breakfast because it has the feel for it.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 19, 2005

We stayed for a total of 5 nights during 2 stays in April and May 2005. The hotel is certainly convenient, clean, friendly and excellent value but ..... the location next to a busy road in an indutrial/commercial area is definitely NOT attractive.
Having said that, it is and ideal base for a visit to San Diego with excellent access to transport and convenient links by road (right next to the I% interstate).
I agree with everything that has been said in other positive reviews.

5  Thank archimedes6
Reviewed May 18, 2005

I stayed at this hotel for two nights from May 13, 2005. I had made my reservation here solely because of the reviews I had read on TripAdvisor.com. I had been impressed by the fact that Old town Inn was ranked #16 of 226 hotels in San Diego, so I thought I would try it. I am glad I did. My room was a Deluxe room with a king sized bed. The room was large with plenty of room. It also was one of the cleanest rooms I have ever stayed in. It was spotless. The carpet was in excellent shape, like new, as was the furniture. The bed was very comfortable. The linens and bedspead were in excellent shape. It also had a small refrigerater and microwave. There was a large closet with plenty of space to put luggage. The outside of the hotel was well kept with plenty of free parking. I asked the staff for directions several times and they were always very helpful and knowledgeable. Susannah suggested several Mexican restaurants in Old Town that ended up having very excellent food. She also recommended that I try the trolley to go downtown to a ballgame. It was easy to use and dropped me off right next to Petco Field. The electric trolley train and also the city bus lines, both operate from the Transit Center, conveniently located about 200 yards away. Old Town, a must visit local attraction, is within walking distance right next to the Transit Center. You could just park your car at the hotel and access most places in the San Diego area from here. The trolley will take you to all the way to Mexico. It is also quicker if you consider the time to find a parking place downtown and also cheaper considering the price of parking downtown.
I ate breakfast both mornings at their free breakfast bar. It was well stocked with a variety of cereals, breads, fruits, rolls, muffins, bagels, and several different juices, milk, and coffee. I was told they will soon add waffles. Espiranda was stocking the bar and worked as hard as any waitress I have ever seen. She never let anything get depleted. Be sure to tip her if you agree with my assessment. Because of her efforts, your breakfast will be an enjoyable way to start your day.
They had a very nice pool area, although I did not have time to use it.
After my two night stay here I moved to the Humphrey By the Bay because I wanted a bay view. Old Town Inn outdid the Humphrey in all ways except two, the bay view at Humphreys and the on site restaurant for dinner. In every other way it was better, cleaner, bigger room, and friendlier. That is not a knock on Humphrey's, which is higher ranked, just a complement to Old Town Inn. Old Town Inn was much lower priced. I actually wished I had stayed at Old Town Inn for all four nights.
I had never tried a hotel before solely because of reviews like this one. I was very glad I had. If you are used to the Hyatt or similar you may not like this hotel, however you will save at least half on the room, not have to tip everyone who says hello, and save the $15-20 for parking. The rooms will be just as comfortable and the customer ranking of the hotel is probably higher than most of the Hyatts, Hiltons, and Sheratons in town. Compare for yourself. I highly recommend this hotel. I definately will stay here again.

14  Thank Robert V