“Perfect for the price”

Old Town Inn
Ranked #9 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed January 23, 2005

This was a great little inn with a price we couldn't pass up. It was clean, the staff was friendly, it had a decent pool area though we never took advantage. Overall, we enjoyed our stay. You can't ask for a better location in Old Town. We were able to walk to all the restaurants without a problem and didn't feel unsafe at night. It is directly across from the trolley stop which was so convienent to go downtown or into the Gaslamp Quarter. We ended up taking that every night into the city and back and it worked perfectly. It would be highly recommended for anyone on a budget!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,942)

Reviewed December 21, 2004

I called the hotel directly and got a nightly rate of $55 (including tax!) for a small, livable room. No frills, to put it mildly: shower, no tub; no coffee pot, iron or hair dryer. The continental breakfast was OK and the heated pool was a delight. And though the area looks rather desolate, it's around the corner from Old Town and a quick drive down Pacific Highway to downtown, Gaslamp, Balboa Park, the Zoo, or just about anywhere else you want to go in SD. I was satisfied, though next time I may pay more for more amenities. (Note: I arrived after noon and still had to wait for my room to be readied.)

• Stayed: December 2004
4  Thank slsiege
Texas
Reviewed December 8, 2004

Nice location, close to the trolley station. Nice continental breakfast.
However, ,my room smell like smoking, even though I requested non-smoking room.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 2, 2004

Zeela was so helpful with information before even confirming a reservation. The Inn was extremely convenient for walking to Old Town and for the use of the trolley. The breakfast was great and the landscaping was beautiful. The room was comfortable and the lobby was like home with a warm fireplace. David was extremely welcoming.

• Stayed: November 2004
4  Thank shirley079
Claremont, CA.
Reviewed November 25, 2004

I just returned from a three-night stay at the Old Town Inn in San Diego. A friend and I stayed in one of the budget rooms in the old wing which was somewhat spartan but adequate and comfortable. We liked the following about the hotel: 1) we could walk to Old Town and to the the bus and trolley station (we used the bus to get to Sea World; 2) a nice continental breakfast was included with the room, and coffee, tea and hot chocolate was available 24 hours a day in the breakfast room; 3) the staff was friendly, helpful and ready with printed directions on how to get everywhere you might want to go whether by foot, public transportation or by private car. I will definitely use this hotel when I visit San Diego; I will probably upgrade to one of the better rooms, however.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Albany, NY
Reviewed November 21, 2004

This hotel is very clean, and the staff is very friendly. Upon our arrival, we were briefed on the attractions of San Diego and also a map of how to get there by various means of transportation. We were given a room with microwave and refrigerator for a very good price. I strongly recommend this hotel/inn to everyone who wants to get the best bang for their bucks.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 9, 2004

My husband and I stayed here for two nights the first week in November. We had a very nice room in the "A" building. The room was clean and spacious. Yes, the air conditioner was a little noisy and shower head low, but there's no such thing as a perfect room and it didn't affect our visit.

The staff, Lela, David and the rest were very pleasant and provided information about nearby attractions. The continental breakfast was also very good. Old Town was within walking distance. The zoo and balboa park was only about a 15 minute drive. The train even takes you to the Mexican border. We had a great time.

This is a hotel for everyday people. If you're looking for the Hilton or the Marriott, this is not the place for you, but if you're looking for a clean, reasonably priced room with nice people, then the Old Town Inn is for you. We would stay here again and again. The people who stayed in older rooms should have reported the problems to the staff and asked to be moved. I'm sure they would have accommodated them if another room was available.

4  Thank gzellner