“A real gem”

Ranked #11 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
A TripAdvisor Member
Valatie, NY
Reviewed October 22, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Old Town Inn for one night in late August,2004. I chose it because of the TripAdvisor recommendations and because we would be without a car and it was within walking distance of Old Town and near the airport.

We chuckled a bit at the location -- sandwiched between a large manufacturing building, the Marine Recruit Depot and a State Psychiatric Hospital. However, we loved the fact that it provided an oasis, was an easy walk to Old Town, and we felt completely safe, even walking back at night.

When we checked in, David indicated that the room we had requested wasn't very nice and suggested that we stay in the bunglaloo near the pool for the same price. While the room was small, it was very comfortable and looked out on the pool. There seemed to be flowers everywhere!

I would certainly stay at the Old Town Inn again and would definitely recommend it, particularly if you don't have a car.

• Stayed: January 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Old Town Inn

Reviewed October 12, 2004

I had a prepaid reservation four months in advance
and called 2 weeks in advance to confirm our dates
and time which was Oct.4 to Oct.9. I talked to David
the desk manager who confirmed these dates. I was there with my daughter for her 12th birthday.
After a day at Sea World, we returned to our room
to find us locked out. This was Oct.8
David the desk manager yelled at me and my young daughter and said we were supposed to check out a day early. He mistakenly stated that he
had told me that morning that we were suppose to
check out. This confrontation caused my daughter
to get so very upset that she started to cry.
When I was finally let back into my room I got
the paper to prove to the desk manager that we
had another day paid for. David the desk
manager did not have the courtesy to apologize for
his egregous error. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2005
3  Thank JBM
Reviewed October 9, 2004

I just returned from a 16 day vacation to CA and had to get my review in on the Old Town Inn. The staff at the Old Town Inn goes above and beyond the call of duty on the telephone and in person. I spoke to David twice on the telephone before I decided to book this Inn and then had the pleasure of meeting him in person when I stayed at the Inn. His helpfulness and pleasant voice on the phone is what made me decide to book this Inn....not to mention the reasonable price.

Not knowing what to see and do in our down time in San Diego, Lela, at the reception desk at The Old Town Inn offered suggestions and even provided us with walking directions, trolley and vehicle directions! Our purpose for stopping in San Diego was to go to Sea World and The Zoo. The Old Town Inn is convieniently located to both places and many more! It is five minutes from Bazaar Del Mundo and The Old Town Historical Park.

I felt VERY safe in this Inn and was not uncomfortable returning from the Park on foot at night, unlike being out after dark in Northern CA. The continental breakfast was a nice start to our busy day, but they do get busy.

I had made reservations for two nights via telephone a few weeks in advance but got into town a night early. We were able to get a room a night early but we did have to switch rooms the following day because the Inn was booked solid. The night person seemed friendly on the phone when I called to see if they had a room and explained that we had reservations for the following two nights, but when we got there, he seemed like we were putting him out. (This was the ONLY glitch in our stay.) The following day when we came back from Sea World and registered for our reserved room, "something had happened" to our reservations and the staff upgraded our room at no additional charge.

The rooms were clean and comfortable, the flower gardens and fountain were beautiful, the lobby was very cozy and inviting, the Inn has LOTS of information on attractions on in the area, the breakfast was nicely stocked and very welcome in the busy moring. I would most definately stay at this Inn again!!!!!

Our thanks to Lela and David for making our short stay in San Diego a wonderful experience. We will be back again!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2004
3  Thank Smokeaters
Reviewed September 25, 2004

The Old Town Inn is located very conveniently for the trolley to get downtown (I didn't have a car and managed fine). Room was clean and reasonably comfortable. Breakfast was good, but breakfast room got busy. Overall, quality seemed fair for the price.

1  Thank ADMcD