“Served my needs”

Ranked #13 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Mountain Center, California
“Served my needs”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The location was in what appeared to be a somewhat industrial neighborhood but it was close to Old Town Park. As a woman alone, I did not feel comfortable wandering around the neighborhood. The grounds were pleasant, the staff nice, and my room was clean and comfortable. There was plenty of parking. I needed a room for the night as I had an early flight out the next day and it was close to where I park when I fly. It served my needs well and was a good value. I would go back again under the same circumstances. I'm not sure it is the place I would choose if I were on vacation unless I were looking for something inexpensive. If you are trying to save money, I would recommend it.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PamelaPotter
YoursinHospitalitySD, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Old Town Inn. We appreciate your feedback, which gives us valuable insight into what to offer future guests. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your room, our lush grounds, and our hospitable staff. I am happy to know that we were able to serve your needs well.

We appreciate that you understand what we are about. We are not a fancy hotel. We are a AAA, two diamond, independently owned hotel. We work very well for many people: those who have done their research, budget conscious travelers that want to get the most out of their dollar, and business travelers, couples, or families who love getting good quality at a good value. Our company culture is based on providing cleanliness, genuine hospitality, quality accommodations, and comfort, all at an affordable price. We hope that we provided you with all of these qualities that we strive to uphold.

Thank you for recommending us to the Trip Advisor community. We truly appreciate your compliments and feedback. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, and we hope to see you again soon.

Visit our Hotel Website or Call Us at (800) 643-3025

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Wow! What else can I say. When we travel, we don't spend a lot of time in our room. We want a clean, comfortable room with a fridge and microwave and staff who are knowledgeable and who care. We got it all at Old Town Inn - and more!! The price was good compared to downtown hotels, and we were a five minute walk from the Old Town Transit Station (trolleys, buses and trains) from which we could get to anywhere. Oh, and we were a 10 minute (about $20) taxi ride from the airport. And a 10-15 minute walk from a grocery store (and liquor store, and chain restaurants). And the (free) breakfast bar was clean and well-stocked!

Again, the staff were very friendly and helpful. When the detergent machine ate our quarters, they gave us detergent - no questions asked. They knew all the great sites and had discounted tickets available. They had board games and DVDs available for borrowing. Most of all, though, they were friendly and were there when we needed them.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
YoursinHospitalitySD, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review, I’m glad you enjoyed your overall stay with us! Here at the Old Town Inn, we strive to provide cleanliness, value, and great customer service to all. We are happy to hear that we met all of your expectations and more!

Although we are in an industrial area, we are very centrally located; only 5-7 min to most of our San Diego beaches, 5 min to Gaslamp Quarter/Downtown, 5 min to Sea World, 7 min to San Diego Zoo. For any guest traveling without a car, you can travel by public transportation from the Old Town Transit Station, (a 5 min walk), and from there to all attractions around San Diego.

Thank you for mentioning our wonderful Front Desk staff, we really strive to provide helpful, friendly, and genuine hospitality.

Once more, Thank you for staying with us; we hope to see you again in the near future! It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

Yours in Hospitality,
Gilda | Front Desk Agent Old Town Inn Visit our Hotel Website or Call Us at (800) 643-3025
Pioche
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Our family stayed at Old Town Inn Oct30-Nov2, 2013 when our nephew graduated from the MCRD. The facility is very nice and up to date. The price was reasonable based upon the location and amenities such as kitchenette with dishes, breakfast, cleanliness, and overall condition of facility. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay at this motel again when we are in the San Diego area. Loved the place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
YoursinHospitalitySD, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to write a review of your stay. On behalf of everyone here at the Old Town Inn, I would like to give your nephew our congratulations on his great accomplishment of graduating from the MCRD!

The Old Town Inn had it’s origin in 1945, when my great grandfather retired as a brigadier general in the Marine Corps. He came to San Diego to remedy a problem he had experienced while in the military: a lack of quality, affordable lodging for servicemen and their families. To this day, the Old Town Inn is committed to that same philosophy of providing quality, affordability, and great customer service to our guests. We are proud that after so many years, we are still able to offer our guests the very same qualities my great grandfather set out to provide when the Old Town Inn was first opened.

Thank you for mentioning our up to date facilities, reasonable prices, and helpful staff. We are dedicated to giving consistent service, quality, and value; we constantly strive to uphold the qualities that are important to our guests. We want our guests to know that we are listening to what you enjoy, want, need, and even dislike. By hearing what our guests have to say, we are constantly improving. By telling us what you enjoyed about your stay, your feedback will help us to offer exceptional service to our future guests.

Thank you again for staying with us, and for the wonderful review. It was truly a pleasure to have you as our guest, and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Kudos to all your staff for their excellent service! Due to a large conference, the Chargers game and the Inn being booked full 2 nights out of 5, I had to find another hotel before arriving. The night before I was to checkout, the lady working the front desk called to inform me that I could move to a larger room or stay put - I stayed put. I was able to cancel the other hotel without being charged. This place could be in the middle of nowhere and I would go back because of the service provided, clean - not only the room but the property as well, good continental breakfast, convenient to the trolley (which I rode from day 1), downtown Old Town just beyond the trolley and off in the other direction a slew of shopping, restaurants, bars, cafes, Gold's Gym and even a See's Candy store.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
OTICustomerCare, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It’s great to hear that everything worked out so well during your stay. We always accommodate guests for extra days when requested, so we keep an eye on our availability for any openings because we’d love to have you stay longer! I love to hear about when guests have a chance to take advantage of our proximity to one of our area’s hidden treasures – the outlet See’s Candy store. For east coasters who have not had a chance to try our west coast chocolates, we highly recommend you make a visit to See’s Candy a part of your visit to our side of the country. Now that holiday season is approaching, this could be a great souvenir of your trip to give friends and family. Just a little further away is the Gold’s Gym, if you want to enjoy some of those chocolates while you’re here, but not gain any vacation pounds. As you mentioned, our location is a convenient 5 minute walk to public transit, and you can take public transit to all of San Diego’s major attractions. We hope to see you again soon!

Cecily ~ Front Desk Agent
Old Town Inn
For the Very Best Service, Book Direct!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed in the back section of the Inn, which might be the non-updated section. The rooms were small. Stand-up shower only. Very old A/C unit. Difficult parking lot, all the spaces were in odd locations, making it very easy for your vehicle to get damaged. The location of the hotel is close to the zoo, however it does not feel like a safe neighborhood. When I arrived, a previous guest was yelling at the front guest worker for being charged for smoking in the room and then I saw the same person on the street with a hooker. The breakfast area was nice and clean and well stocked. I would only stay here again if the facilities were updated and the riff-raft were kept out.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
YoursinHospitalitySD, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you letting us know what you disliked about your stay. This is important feedback for us. I believe you stayed in one of our “economy” rooms, or our original, circa 1950 rooms. These rooms are the only original rooms in the hotel, and yes, they are older. Some of our guests think these rooms are small, however, others ask for them. The aptly named economy room is perfect for the budget conscious traveler, and is a good value. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the economy room.

Yes, our parking lot is on the small side. We apologize if you had trouble parking. We are working on a way to add more spaces to our free (and only) parking as soon as possible.

The Old Town Inn is in a unique area for a hotel. I like to tell people that we are nowhere, but right next door to everywhere :- ) That being said, the vast majority of our guests feel comfortable coming and going from the hotel on foot or by car. One benefit of being in a more industrial setting than a typical commercial setting is that it tends to be very quiet at night since there is not a lot of traffic. I will freely admit that it may not be what people are used to, and if any guest feels uncomfortable, especially with small children, we would be the first to suggest they use their car or a taxi for transport.

I would like to apologize for the actions of the guest you witnessed. In no way do we condone this behavior, however, we have no control over our guests’ actions once they leave the hotel.

We always encourage our guests to do their research. We want our guests to be satisfied, and we take it very seriously when we fail. I think that if you choose to give us another opportunity to serve you, you would enjoy our spacious and newly refurbished standard guestrooms, also with new flatscreen TV’s. You could also choose from rooms with kitchenette to full kitchen, or even go all out in our lavish Jacuzzi suite. I hope we will see you again in the near future. We are not everyone’s cup of tea; however, we are rated highly by those who appreciate value, quality accommodations, cleanliness, and genuine hospitality. Thank you again for the review, your honesty is truly appreciated.

Old Town Inn
We Want to be Your Cup of Tea! Book Direct With Us!
Playa Del Rey, CA
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Really more like 3.5 stars, but everyone is super nice and for the price and location this place is a great deal.

We are here for a science conference at the convention center and this hotel is very convenient. Free parking, average selection with an attentive staff for a continental breakfast, (make your own waffles, bagels, canned fruit, average pastries, oatmeal, coffee, OJ). Trolly stop (Old Town Station) is a 5 minute easy walk - but a pretty one once you are there.

The rooms are clean, our shower head is very low - I'm 5'8 and I had to duck. AC is new, efficient, quiet. LG flatscreen is decent sized + HBO. DVD in room capability is a bonus with access to a good library.

Wireless internet is complimentary, staff is nice. TP, napkins at breakfast, tissues, all their paper products are low quality. Lighting is a bit abrasive in the room. Plenty of outlets, we used the iron and ironing board.

I don't love our room location (103) we are across from the main entrance and near the road and the stairway so there is a lot of intermittent noise. Mostly I can hear the foot clomping of the folks above us - so that is a bit of a bummer. I would suggest a second floor room because of this. FYI - no lotions or any real extras - just shampoo and soap.

There is a lobby computer with a printer.

I walked with the dog into Old Town (about a 10 minute walk). OT is very pretty and touristy with a lot of terrible food options but made for a lovely couple of hours walking in a quaint historic town.

Dog fee is only $15 a night. They take large dogs - so for us that is huge.

Room Tip: Upstairs and away from the lobby entrance and Pacific Hwy would have been better
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
OTICustomerCare, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear OffshoreFlo,

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience staying at the Old Town Inn, and walking around the Old Town State Park with your dog. Thank you for the compliments about our staff, and I’m glad to hear that you found our prices to be a good value for your money. We tend to rate highly among those who appreciate value, quality accommodations, cleanliness, and genuine hospitality. As you mentioned, our location is also very convenient if you would like to utilize public transportation during your stay. You mentioned that there were not very many toiletries/amenities in your room, and I just wanted to let you know that there are quite a few amenities available at the front desk upon request if you do decide to come visit us again. We have combs, razors, mending kits, shower caps, lotion, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and earplugs available for any guest who may have forgotten any of these items at home.

I am sorry to hear that you did experience some issues with our accommodations. We recently switched to white fluorescent lightbulbs to brighten the rooms, and I apologize if you found the lighting to be overly bright. I want to thank you for bringing to our attention that you found our napkins, toilet paper, and other paper products to be a bit rough, this is the first we have heard of anyone having an issue with the quality of our paper products. We will look into whether there are higher quality paper products we can provide for our guests. Our paper products are not the cheapest of what is available, but we will certainly look into whether there are better options that we can use, while still keeping our prices affordable.

We are aware of the issue regarding the height of the showerheads in our deluxe rooms, and have investigated different options of how we can address the situation. Right now we have plans to completely redo the bathtub surround, and have tiled walls instead, and the height of the showerheads will be changed at that time as well. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate your valuable feedback. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Cecily ~ Front Desk Agent
Old Town Inn
For the Very Best Service, Book Direct!
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I spent 6 nights here back in May and loved every minute. Fabulous staff, especially Anna who felt like an old friend before I'd even checked in, tho all were great. The room was spotless, huge, comfortable and quiet. I was a little concerned being close to the road, but for such a wide road there is surprisingly little traffic and it was very quiet at night. I thought the selection at breakfast was great - loved the waffle machine - and can't imagine wanting more. The pool area was lovely and the laundry very useful and cheap. I was travelling by public transport and found the location very handy.
Old Town was handy for restaurants and also cafés and shopping just round the other corner. As others have mentioned there are quite a few homeless people around. I was surprised at how many there were all round San Diego, but I didn't feel at all threatened walking back from the trolley in the dark. Hope to return in the not to distant future, but this time will bring the family.

• Stayed May 2013
YoursinHospitalitySD, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review, we're glad to have been the highlight of your 3 week vacation!! Here at the Old Town Inn we strive to provide cleanliness, value, and great customer service to all. Our housekeeping staff works hard every day to keep the rooms and property clean and spotless. We are happy to hear that we met all your expectations plus more! Although we are in an industrial area, we are very centrally located, 5-7 min to most of our San Diego beaches, 7-10 min from Gaslamp Quarter/Downtown, 5 min to SeaWorld, 7 min to San Diego Zoo, and for any guest traveling without a car, you can travel by public transportation (from the Old Town Transit Station) to all attractions around San Diego. Thank you for mentioning our wonderful front desk staff, we really try hard to provide the BEST customer service to all.

Thanks again for staying with us; we hope to see you and your family on your next trip to San Diego!

Gilda Prado | Front Desk Agent