“A one week family vacation in San Diego”
Review of Old Town Inn

Ranked #16 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
boston
“A one week family vacation in San Diego”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I needed two rooms for my wife and unmarried son and my married son and grandchildren. We had never been to San Diego before but my son suggested the 'Old Town area'. I looked at several hotels located in 'Old Town', but located one 10 minute walk from the Old Town. It was located on Pacific Highway which we thought might be a negative. On the contrary it provided easy access to downtown, the Zoo Balboa Park Sea world and anywhere else you needed to be. While its immediate surroundings are not aesthetic the hotel itself is clean, has a Spanish ambience, a heated outside pool and a very satisfying breakfast.
The staff was exceptionally courteous and knowledgeable.
If one wants the grandeur of the bay setting then the downtown Marriot would be the choice. For everything else there is the 'Old Town Inn'.

Room Tip: Choose one away from the Highway - little or no noise
2 Thank haithamhawk
YoursinHospitalitySD, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review and share your experience with the Trip Advisor community.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found your accommodations to be spacious and clean. Thank you for mentioning our staff, we all work very hard to provide for our guests, and we appreciate your compliments about the friendliness and knowledge.

I am also glad to hear that you took advantage of the free amenities we provide. I hope your time at the pool was relaxing, and breakfast was satisfying to you and your family.

Our location is in a somewhat industrial area, and can get noisy at times. To help we have earplugs available at the Front Desk if any of our guest need it, however we are very happy that you didn't have any problems. We love our location because, as you mentioned, it is so close to Old Town, the Transit Station, and many attractions. From here you can get almost anywhere in San Diego in about ten minutes. I am happy to know that our location was so convenient for you.

Our company culture is all about providing a clean, affordable, quality stay with great customer service. I am so glad that we were able to provide you with these qualities. It was a pleasure to have you and your family as our guest. We hope to see you next time you visit San Diego.

Yours in Hospitality
Gilda Prado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Denver
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was looking for a reasonably priced hotel for Labor Day weekend that was close to San Diego's prime tourist spots (most beaches, Old Town, downtown, La Jolla, Point Loma) (it's also very close to the airport and Seaworld). I was considering trying Priceline when I read about this hotel in a guidebook. I decided to go with a highly rated known rather than save a few bucks on an unknown hotel that was further away (had been considering Hotel Circle in Mission Valley). So glad I did! Despite being right off I-5 and I-8, my room was quiet (with door/windows closed and fan on, which I always like for white noise). Breakfast didn't include eggs, meat, or yogurt, but it did have tropical fruit, oatmeal, cereals, great OJ, pastries, and more. Since all rooms come with a fridge and the hotel is less than 1.5 miles from at least two major grocery stores (Ralphs and Sprouts), I bought my own yogurt and kept it in the fridge. Staff was friendly, maid service was good, grounds are pretty (good view of plants/flowers while eating breakfast), and lobby had computer I could use to print my airplane boarding pass. Rooms have DVD players and they have a big, free library (I confess, I watched a short movie spread out over two nights before bed). It's even possible to see Seaworld's fireworks show from across the street, although I drove a few minutes to be closer. It's walking distance to Old Town and the area immediately west of the hotel is filled with places to eat, from fast food to restaurants. Bed was comfortable, as were pillows. I had an economy room and found it more roomy than expected. The pool looked small, but I didn't use it so I can't speak to it. The area itself was pretty, with plants/flowers around it. There isn't a fitness center (that I know of); wish the rating allowed a "NA."

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room, despite not having read complaints about noise, because it was so close to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank soloFemaleDenver
YoursinHospitalitySD, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are grateful for your feedback and compliments about our amenities, customer service and our convenient location. Our main goals at the Old Town Inn are to welcome our guests with genuine hospitality, provide cleanliness and quality accommodations, and do it all at an affordable price. These are the qualities that we strive to uphold as a hotel, and we take them very seriously because we know that our guests do as well. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you received the high standard of service that we strive to provide our
guests.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Old Town Inn, and for taking the time to review your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We hope to see you again soon!

Gilda Prado
Bristol, Connecticut
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We enjoyed our stay. The staff is very friendly, the lobby is cozy and the free breakfast is nice - we loved the make your own Belgian waffles. The rooms are pleasant and roomy and ours had a small microwave and refrigerator that came in handy if you want to bring your lunch or dinner leftovers back from an Old Town restaurant. The hotel is a little oasis in an industrial area on Pacific Hwy but you can walk to Old Town and the trolley.

1 Thank mary c
YoursinHospitalitySD, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We are proud to know that you had an enjoyable stay at the Old Town Inn, and that we were able to offer everything that you needed for your stay. Our company culture is to provide genuine hospitality, quality accommodations, cleanliness, and affordable pricing. We are not a fancy hotel, nor do we pretend to be. We want our guests to get the most out of their dollar, while still receiving the quality service and amenities that we strive to provide for every guest.

Yes, we are located on Pacific Highway, which can be busy at times, and we are an older, independently owned hotel, so we are not everyone’s cup of tea. We do, however, take our hospitality role very seriously, and we are always looking for ways to improve and make our guest's stay more comfortable and convenient. We are very glad to hear that our location worked out well for you, and we truly appreciate you mentioning that our hotel is like an oasis in our industrial surroundings. It is a great thing to feel that our guests understand what we stand for, and what we strive to provide. Thank you for your kind words; we truly value your feedback. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, and to read your review. We hope to see you again soon!

Golden, Colorado
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed one night, with a late check-in. The guy at front desk was so nice, explained so detailed about their services! Breakfast was great, more than I expected! Besides, it is so close to Old Town Transit Center and other attractions!

Room Tip: Rooms go fast! Book early!
1 Thank Kings365
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We are glad to hear that you were satisfied with the amenities, accommodations, and customer service we provided.

Here at Old Town Inn, we are dedicated to giving consistent service, quality and value. I hope that you received these qualities that we strive to provide to every guest, and that we exceeded expectations. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, and we hope to see you again soon.

Henderson, Nevada, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband, daughter & I only stayed one night, but we really enjoyed it. It's a very cozy hotel, walking distance to Old Town. Super friendly staff, quiet room , , comfy beds & the price was right. We'll stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Vegaslocal123
Dear Valued Guest,

I am glad to hear you had a good stay; our philosophy is to offer clean, comfortable, quality accommodations, and exceptional service that is still a great value. Thank you for your review. It is rewarding to know that we met and exceeded your expectations. We would be honored to accommodate you and your family the next time you visit the San Diego area. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, and we hope to see you soon!

Coquitlam
Reviewed September 3, 2013

we stay here every time we do to San Diego, the whole family love this place, its spotless, awesome staff, great rooms, pool area is great. Location is wonderful for Sea World (5 mins away) Zoo, and of course Old Town its self Take the Trolley service out of Old Town, get on and off anywhere you want to site see. Love this hotel would not stay anywhere else in San Diego can't beat the price either. Great Breakfast too!

Room Tip: any of the rooms are great the little cabins are wonderful
1 Thank GrannyBC
Dear GrannyBC,

Thank you for being such a loyal guest! We are honored that you continue to choose the Old Town Inn for your stays in San Diego, and we hope that you think of us now as your home away from home. We're glad to see that you have been satisfied with the quality of our amenities, accommodations, cleanliness, and service that we offer. I am also very glad to hear that our location was convenient for you. We greatly appreciate that you let other potential guests know what you've experienced here at the Old Town Inn with your wonderful review. We look forward to your next visit!

Barendrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here for three nights. Really nice place. We totally agree with previous reviewers. At first you might think: average motel in a non-descript area, BUT there's more than meets the eye. In fact, the location is perfect, within walking distance of Old Town (very good Mexican food) and the trolley station to down town, a short drive to Sea World, etc., the room was nice, standard, but very clean, and last but not least the staff was very friendly and very helpfull. All in all, also view of the relatively modest price, highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danny B
YoursinHospitalitySD, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It was such a pleasure to read your review. We appreciate your thoughts and compliments; it is always refreshing to know that our guests truly understand what we’re about. It is true that we are a AAA, two diamond hotel, located on Pacific Highway in a slightly industrial area. Our location may be off-putting to some guests when they first arrive. However, as you mentioned, there is much more to our little hotel, and its location, than meets the eye.

We truly appreciate that you “get us.” We are not a fancy hotel; we are here to provide our guests with an excellent standard of service, quality accommodations and amenities, clean rooms, and most importantly, all of these qualities at a good value. It's really nice to know that you, our guests recognize the little things we try to do to make every stay enjoyable. Along with having an eager-to-please front desk staff, our housekeepers and maintenance work hard to make our rooms spotless and presentable, and we are so glad that you noticed.

It’s great to hear that our location was convenient for you. Most of our guests agree that the benefits of our central location, easy access to public transportation, and close proximity to Old Town far outweigh the occasional problem of traffic noise or our industrial setting. It is a great compliment to us, hearing that you thought of our location as perfect; we love our location as well, because it allows our guests to get around San Diego easily. We are happy to know that this was the case for you, and we are grateful that you pointed this out in your review.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay at the Old Town Inn, for taking the time to write a review, and most importantly, for understanding our company culture, and what is most important to us: the guest. We take guest satisfaction very seriously, and we are constantly trying to improve. Your feedback will help us do that. We appreciate you recommending us to the TripAdvisor community. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, and we hope to see you again soon!