“Great place to stay”

Ranked #16 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
New York
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed October 8, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Old Town Inn from Thursday through Monday in late September, 2nd floor, king size bed deluxe room. We paid on average $105/night. Bed was VERY comfy and room was clean, no smells, no noise problems. Great location to everything...right on the major highways going anywhere in SD and a short walk to Old Town. The breakfast was a nice touch, waffles and cereal were good. They helped us get San Diego Zoo tickets cheaper than the gate price. Very friendly staff also.

The hotel/motel is just that. A cheaper alternative to staying in a marriott or hilton or holiday inn, basically the same accomodations without the name. It's not going to blow you away as the best place you've ever stayed but it's a nice, cheaper alternative. Reminded me of a nicer version of a quality inn. Most important things to us was that it was clean, the bed was comfortable (surprisingly comfy actually) and that it was cheap. And the staff was very friendly and willing to help which was a bonus. I'd definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank dirtyd12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
ny
Reviewed September 28, 2007

I found the Old Town Inn to be fantastic in every way. The hotel was clean and the staff anticipated our every need all being done at prices that were beyond reasonable. The complimentary breakfast was a feast, so much that lunch seemed unnecessary.
Four stars and our thanks.

Stayed September 2007
4 Thank vaccaritzo2
California
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Great people who run the Old Town Inn. We needed to stay an extra nite and they made it possible. We will be staying there again and again and again 5 Stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks from the folks who had a marine getting out of boot.

• Liked — The management
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007
2 Thank hesperiapawn
Tigard, OR
Reviewed September 11, 2007

My three children and I stayed at the Old Town Inn for four nights at the end of August. Our major complaint is that there is smoking everywhere at this hotel. We were in a room right by the elevators which also had an ashtray nearby just one of many on this property. Unfortunately for us many people took advantage of this “smoking area” and with our air conditioner on the smoke came directly into our room. Although the maid service to our room was excellent, other areas of the hotel were not kept up. We went to the pool area one evening to find no clean tables or clean towels. Used pool towels were strewn around the pool and I had to use the restroom paper towels to clean a table that had something sticky on it. My last complaint is that during breakfast there was not enough help in clearing tables and making sure supplies were handy. It looked like just one person was responsible for everything. One morning every table was either occupied or dirty with no one cleaning the tables for new arrivals. Again, I had to clean my own table so that we could use it. Several times we had to ask for something that was out like coffee, forks, orange juice, etc. On two days the garbage cans were overflowing, not exactly an appetizing sight. On a positive note the hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful and we didn’t mind the location of the hotel at all. Overall, I probably wouldn’t stay at this hotel again, but if you do ask for a room away from any ashtrays and the street and you should be fine.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Caters to smokers - get rid of all those ashtrays!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
lis302, Assistant to the Owner at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, February 19, 2008
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at our hotel.

We were very sorry to hear that you were affected by cigarette smoke. Presently over 80% of our rooms are designated as non-smoking, with more scheduled to be converted to non-smoking. We are always looking at ways to minimize the impact of smoke on our smoking guests, while still trying to accommodate guests who do smoke. Something we’re looking into is creating a comfortable smoking area away from our buildings.

We were disappointed to hear that the pool area and breakfast room were not tidy. I discussed this matter with the hotel manager who has instituted more frequent inspections of both areas to ensure that such problems do not recur. We have also increased our staffing in the breakfast room.

Finally, thank you for recognizing our great staff. Our priority is to provide friendly and efficient service to all our guests, and we are committed to making necessary changes to improve our service. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you and your family.

Lis Dukesherer
Assistant to Owner
Edmonds WA
Reviewed September 11, 2007

This hotel was quite comfortable and in a convenient location - particularly for those who want to travel without renting a car. Prepare yourself that it's immediate surroundings are industrial buildings - not other hotels and restaurants. However, Old Town's restaurants and tourist attractions are an easy walk away (you might not feel as comfortable walking after dark). The Old Town Transit Center connects you to trolleys, buses and commuter rail. A cab to the airport was $14 (w/out tip). The front desk staff were extremely helpful in giving us directions to sites we wanted to visit. Plenty of options for breakfast at the hotel's buffet. Pool was pleasant. Would definitely consider a stay there again.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable accomodations at a reasonable cost. Very helpful desk staff.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank CathySEdmondsWA
Seattle, WA
Reviewed September 5, 2007

My husband and I, plus two teenagers stayed for our vacation to Sea World and the Animal Park. Everyone enjoyed this one very much. The hotel beds were very comfortable. The pool is really nice and relaxing area. The complimentary breakfast was excellent. They had waffle makers, muffins, cereal, and lots more. Yes, the room did have a little bit of odor from the chemical cleaners, but when we turned on the AC, it didn't seem to be a problem. It is just a walk, and a skip to Old Town San Diego it was really fun to see the night scene and eat at an authentic Mexican restaurant. The hotel staff was very nice and knowledgeable. Sea World is really close. Parking is a little tight. Overall the stay was very enjoyable, the rates were excellent and we would stay again.

• Liked — Location, Breakfast and Pool
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank ristacat
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 3, 2007

I just happened to find the Old Town Inn On a yahoo website..Then decided to call to ask about the hotel..The reservationist was a delight, but I was still undecided. So she told me it would be a good idea to check them out on tripadvisor! I did and I booked my room!! I couln't be happier for the price range and cleanliness! Not to mention the front desk staff! They were all so helpful! Especially Mary (Iremember because we share the same name and she made a silly comment about it) I think the other woman was Ann or Anna..Both very sweet with a wonderful sense of humor! I could have stayed the whole night in the lobby if they would have been there! All in all the rooms were very clean and even the housekeepers were sweet.. In fact they were so honest that I left a tip one of the days I was there and they didn't take it! I had to put it in an envlope that said housekeeping on it! The breakfast was delicious and fairly large..Plus I got to chit chat with the wonderful ladies at the front desk some more!

I have to say this is by far one of the best places I have stayed at!
Thank you Old Town Inn if a wonderful and forever memorable trip to San Diego! I will deffinately reccomend you to everyone I know!!

• Liked — Friendly service
  • Disliked — busy road
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple