“Best Value in Southern California”
Review of Ocean Park Inn

Ocean Park Inn
Ranked #29 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Chandler, Arizona
“Best Value in Southern California”
Reviewed April 25, 2008

My wife and I have been coming to the Ocean Park Inn three or four times a year for 15 years. There are very few places in Southern California other than the OPI that you can stay right on the beach (not the bay or harbor) and be so close to hear the waves crashing. The price is half of what I pay at Shutters or the Lowes in Santa Monica and even though they are considered beach front hotels the walk to the water is about 300 yards. The rooms are becoming a little outdated however they are still clean and larger than the rooms you see in a Westin or Sheraton. The location is a perfect walk to many shops, bars, and cafes. When I read some of the reviews I am suprised, try the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge or the Surfer Beach Hotel if you want an undesireable experience. Ocean Park has my vote and will continue to have my vote.

• Liked — Location Location Location
  • Disliked — Smelly Hallways
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
roadtrip1000
Reviewed February 7, 2008

The GOOD:
The location of the hotel was great and parking was reasonable (I think we paid $10 per night). The hotel sits a few feet away from the ocean and is close to many attractions, and restaurants.
The staff was friendly, the room was clean, and the free breakfast selection was good (bread, waffles, cereal, yogurt.. but no FRUIT - luckily there's a grocery store around the corner with tons of fresh ready -cut- fruit to take with you and have with your breakfast).

The BAD:
Unfortunately, we had a room facing the Firestation bar (I think that's the name) directly next door to the hotel. The music was SO loud and people were partying and screaming until 2 or 3am. It sounded like it was right outside our window. There was NO way to sleep through the night. We found out the following night that ONLY the rooms facing this bar get the interruption. So if you're staying there, opt for a room away from that section and get a quiet sleep.

The UGLY:
I called the front desk at midnight to ask when the music would stop - they said 1:30 am. It went later than this. The hotel did not offer me to switch rooms and I didn't think to ask since I assumed all the rooms had this noise level from the bar. After discovering that we could have had a better room location, I asked the hotel manager for a discount and said I'd love to stay there again as long as I got a better room location. She said she'd get back to me. I have not heard back and until am disappointed with this lack in customer service.

Besides the music blaring, the hotel was great and I'd recommend it to others.. just ask ahead of time for a room facing AWAY from the bar.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank roadtrip1000
San Jose
Reviewed January 23, 2008

The location is good, but the staff is rude and unhelpful. The place smells and the rooms are dirty. The breakfast is free, but for a good reason!!! They also harass guests if you dont check out in time and have a rediculous non smoking policy that is enforeced after you check out. Be carefull you might get a surprise on your Credit Card Statement.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 25, 2007

Overall, I strongly recommend this hotel. The location is fantastic, and the exterior is the best presentation in Pacific Beach (this area of San Diego). The "boardwalk" in front of the hotel is very nice and clean (except for occasional transients sleeping on the city sidewalk, no worries - plenty of police patrols around). The daily continental breakfast was a big plus - very clean presentation. The beds are very comfortable, the shower had nice flow. But I can't give it the perfect "5" due to a few things: the interior is showing signs of wear with peeling, loud wallpaper in the bathrooms; the hotel staff is a nice bunch of young kids, but a little too informal and untrained; the pool is in the shadow of the building, so it's cold and uninviting; we had problems connecting to the "free" WiFi in the lobby; parking is an additonal $10/day; and our "oceanfront" room had a view blocked by a palm tree (this only occurs in room 305). I still think this is the best deal in this area, and we would definitely come back here because it was a good deal. Try to stay on the top (3rd) floor, as it provides the best views. The first floor views are blocked by garden walls and wind-screens, so it's hardly "oceanview". Definitely do not stay on the back of the building due to a very loud nightclub across the alley.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, price
  • Disliked — interiors need
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank toddinparis
alberta
Reviewed December 2, 2007

We had a one bed room with a limited ocean view for $89 a night off season. Excellent for the price. The room was nicely done and very clean. The bathroom fixtures were dated but they did their best to make it look modern. The balcony looked over the heated pool and hot tub and had a decent view of the beach, especially for that price. You can hear the ocean and watch the waves. Staff were nice. Breakfast
includes muffins, cereal etc, as well as waffles and eggs. The heater/
air con seemed to rattle on our first use so we turned it off. Annoyingly we could still hear the machine from the next room.

The hotel is right on the boardwalk, which is right on the beach. Yes,
there are homeless people sleeping on the boardwalk outside the hotel but they don't seem to come out until very late at night so we were still comfortable swimming at night. It was noisy on the Thursday night at the bar next door and on the board walk so I can only imagine
what a weekend or summer would sound like! Pacific Beach has a mix of people and along the beach seems to be low rise hotels, restaurants and vacation rentals. If I had kids, I would pick another location. We enjoyed it though!

For something higher end try Tower 23 or Pacific Terrace hotels.

Stayed November 2007
Central Illinois
Reviewed October 19, 2007

We truly enjoyed our visit. We had an ocean-view room that was on the 2nd floor. The hotel is U-shaped and we were as far from the elevator as one could be. Our room and bath were clean and comfortable. We had an awesome view of the beach area. The continental breakfast had a nice variety of pasteries, cereal, toast, bagels, fresh fruit, and hard boiled eggs, or you could make your own waffle. The attendant kept the area clean and stocked.
My only complaints were that the hallway had a very stale odor that probably a carpet shampooing would cure and the only internet access in the hotel was in the lobby/breakfast area if you had a wireless laptop.
We did see several homeless men on the boardwalk, but only during the day, and none of them ever approached us.
We liked being within walking distance of a variety of restaurants and didn't have a bad meal at any of them. There were several shops in the area, and we were 15-20 minutes from Sea World, the Zoo, and the airport.
If we should decide to visit this area again, I would not hesitate to stay at the Ocean Park Inn again.

• Liked — Beach front view
  • Disliked — Odor in hall, no internet access in the room - had to go to the lobby with wireless laptop.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Arizona
Reviewed September 4, 2007

This hotel was perfect for my husband and I. I would go back and bring my children as well. They don't need much for entertainment when you have a beach so close by. Service was friendly and always available. Wonderful breakfast bar offered till 10am! The rooms are clean and comfortable - not luxury - but very nice - TV (if you really want to be inside!) we never turned ours on; refridgerator for you to fill (there is a grocery store and 7 Eleven within one block of hotel); ironing board, hair dryer - the basics. Everything was in working order and did I mention CLEAN! Air conditioner worked well! Parking garage was perfect, handy for the busy location and convenient/safe as it is locked and accessible ONLY to hotel guests. Many good local restaurants within walking distance. Lots of local and visitor walking/bike/skateboard traffic. We were there over Labor Day weekend and had a room facing the beach. We were worried that it would be really noisy but it wasn't at all! We walked everywhere - grocery, dining, beach, dancing and a bit of shopping. Very close to airport and not far to get to downtown. We loved it!

• Liked — Clean, convenient, Access to beach
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple