Ocean Park Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Blue Sea Beach Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$215
$209
$127
  • Breakfast included
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$109
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$207
$279
$181
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
The Dana on Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$169
$164
  • Restaurant
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$193
$169
  • Pool
The Sofia Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$305
TripAdvisor
1,091 results
All reviewsocean frontlifeguard stationunderground parkingpartial view roomcontinental breakfastcrystal pierpool and hot tubhomeless peopleperfect locationwithin walking distancebeach towelshear the wavesboogie boardsyogurthard boiled eggsthird floorwaffle maker
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 19, 2007

We truly enjoyed our visit. We had an ocean-view room that was on the 2nd floor. The hotel is U-shaped and we were as far from the elevator as one could be. Our room and bath were clean and comfortable. We had an awesome view of the beach area. The continental breakfast had a nice variety of pasteries, cereal, toast, bagels, fresh fruit, and hard boiled eggs, or you could make your own waffle. The attendant kept the area clean and stocked.
My only complaints were that the hallway had a very stale odor that probably a carpet shampooing would cure and the only internet access in the hotel was in the lobby/breakfast area if you had a wireless laptop.
We did see several homeless men on the boardwalk, but only during the day, and none of them ever approached us.
We liked being within walking distance of a variety of restaurants and didn't have a bad meal at any of them. There were several shops in the area, and we were 15-20 minutes from Sea World, the Zoo, and the airport.
If we should decide to visit this area again, I would not hesitate to stay at the Ocean Park Inn again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 4, 2007

This hotel was perfect for my husband and I. I would go back and bring my children as well. They don't need much for entertainment when you have a beach so close by. Service was friendly and always available. Wonderful breakfast bar offered till 10am! The rooms are clean and comfortable - not luxury - but very nice - TV (if you really want to be inside!) we never turned ours on; refridgerator for you to fill (there is a grocery store and 7 Eleven within one block of hotel); ironing board, hair dryer - the basics. Everything was in working order and did I mention CLEAN! Air conditioner worked well! Parking garage was perfect, handy for the busy location and convenient/safe as it is locked and accessible ONLY to hotel guests. Many good local restaurants within walking distance. Lots of local and visitor walking/bike/skateboard traffic. We were there over Labor Day weekend and had a room facing the beach. We were worried that it would be really noisy but it wasn't at all! We walked everywhere - grocery, dining, beach, dancing and a bit of shopping. Very close to airport and not far to get to downtown. We loved it!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 12, 2007

I was not sure how to rate this hotel. The only fair way would be to split the review of the hotel from the area. Some of the problems my family(hubby and 2 teens) encountered were not the fault of the hotel. Yet the area is usually how most choose their hotel.
The Ocean Park Inn:
Even though I made reservations 6 months in advance they were not able to accomodate us in the same room for a week. The first 2 nights we stayed in a 2 room suite that overlooked their very nice and warm pool. This room had a large balcony(could fit 4 chairs) and a nice small view of the ocean. You could hear the ocean if you kept your patio door/windows open at night. The room was clean, decorated nicely and had a full size table and kitchenette. We really liked this room and pleaded with them to let us stay in it even though we would be giving up the full oceanview. It was perfect for the 4 of us. My teens could stay up later since it had a TV in the living/kitchen area and also one in the bedroom. Since they do assign rooms at the time of reservation we had to move to our 1 room oceanview room. This room was very spacious but not nearly as nice. It needed updating and the bathroom was in desparate need of caulking. The patio screen door was broke but they did fix it immediately when I called. The balcony was very small and could only hold 2 small chairs. This was the kind of room that even when cleaned(which they did a great job on) did not look like it because it was old and needed work. Showers in both rooms had excellent water pressure.
We found the staff very pleasant and helpful. The continental breakfast was fabulous. Waffles, eggs, variety of cereals and the best cinnamon rolls and other pastries. I grade a continental breakfast on the serving of some kind of protein and they got an A+.
Parking in their garage was an issue. We had rented a small SUV and most parking spots were for compact cars only. We had a very difficult time parking our car, often having to take up 2 compact spots, which everyone was having to do, which resulted in less spots. Also, if you came in late at night-forget about it.
With updating and their doing work in the rooms, this hotel could be a 4* hotel. Our first room was great, our 2nd was not.
Pacific Beach:
The beach area and boardwalk were not clean. When asked, I was told they clean every Friday. Once a week is not enough with the amount of people in the area. Water temp was great@74degrees. However, we did not like the amount of seaweed that would wrap around you when playing in the waves. My teens loved the surf area which is separate from the swim area. The Pacifc Beach Surf Shop across from the hotel is the place to go for lessons and rentals. Gave us a discount since both kids got lessons and even gave us a 2 for 1 rental on skateboards.
This is not an area for kids. I was not happy that my 2 teens were exposed to an area of heavy drinking. Open street bars everywhere and many adults were walking around that obviously had too much to drink. The bars were filled to capacity(seen as walking down the boardwalk) even during the day. Average age in the twenties. Felt we could put up with during the day but not good at night.
I disagree with the previous reviewer, the area by this hotel is crowded. There were police patrolling and they were kept busy. Every night at least one big fight in the area. Usually over a girl.
We read on this site about the homeless and were prepared. They sleep out on the benches on the boardwalk directly across from the oceanview rooms. Most are quiet but not always. I called the front desk at 5am one morning because of all the noise. They did send a security person out to ask the homeless to leave the area, which they did. The boardwalk is very busy, at least in August, with a lot of noise and partying crowds walking by until about 1-2am.
For this reason, I cannot recommend this hotel to families, unless they reserved a room in the back of the hotel and off the boardwalk. We did not have any of these problems with our first room we had that was back by the pool.
As you can see, this was a difficult review. Maybe a month other than August would be different. See my San Diego Crowds review. We liked having a Ralphs grocer, 7Eleven and numerous restaurants nearby. Just north of our hotel was Tower 23 and Pacific Terrace Hotel, both much quieter but a lot more expensive. A few blocks south was the Best Western, more in the mission beach area which is quieter. All are directly on the beach and boardwalk. The Pacific was on a bluff and had a lot of stairs to the beach.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank melody847
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Stayed from June 19-21. I made the reservations with a little trepidation as Tripadvisor reviewers seemed to either rant about the hotel or rave about it.

We had a very pleasurable stay. We had a 3rd floor, ocean front room with king bed & pull-out sofa, refrigerator, and microwave. We arrived early on the 21st, and OPI accommodated us by getting us in the room by 12:00. They also allowed us to keep our car parked in the garage until 3:00 on our day of departure so we could enjoy more beach time.

The room was a basic hotel room but everything was functional, clean, and in good condition. While we were there, they were painting the exterior - can be a pain to deal with maintenance like this when a guest; however, the workers were circumspect, and I'm always pleased to see hotels invest in their properties, instead of just milk profits out of it.

The balcony off the room was very tiny, but sufficient to sit and enjoy a morning coffee or evening wine. The sound of the ocean from the room is lovely. The continental breakfast is a little basic - definitely room for improvement. However, when we were there, the staff was getting instructions on a waffle machine, so there may be upgrades coming there!

Across the cul-de-sac street from the hotel was a small shop called Pacific Beach Surf Shop. They have a larger shop a block down in same complex as Hooters. Danny at the Grand Ave shop was awesome - very helpful to my son, who signed up for surf lessons.

We enjoyed meals at Nicks and Green Flash (strong drinks!)

One comment I'd make is that most of the boardwalk along this area are residences (small condos/hotels). I was expecting more shopping along the boardwalk than there was. I wasn't disappointed - I think it made for a quieter, more kid-friendly experience - however, it was unexpected.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank k-ro99
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We just returned from here. This hotel is perfect...right on the beach within walking distance to a grocery store, drug store, restaurants and shops (you don't need a car). It's in a nice part of Pacific Beach, only 20 minutes from SeaWorld, downtown and the Zoo. The pool is very adequate and heated (90 degrees) - great for little kids. The continental breakfast is perfect for something quick and easy. Guestrooms are very comfortable and clean with safes, microwaves and mini-refrigerators. We had a king room with a partial view of the ocean and it was ideal -it had a sofa bed for our son and a direct line of sight over the pool area at the ocean/beach. This is a nice, simple family-friendly hotel that offers convenience, reasonable prices and good service - the front desk staff was very helpful and pleasant. We would definitely stay here again - you can't beat the location and the quality of hotel on the beach.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family