“Even bad for a Motel 6 . . .”

Motel 6 San Diego Hotel Circle- Mission Valley
Ranked #216 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego
“Even bad for a Motel 6 . . .”
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Wife planned a night away from the kids on short notice, and on a very tight budget (like most people these days). She doesn't travel often (like I have to do for work), and thus she really wouldn't know a Motel 6 from a Comfort Inn from a Radisson (well, at least not until our recent stay). So she dropped the kids off at the grandparents, and booked us a rooom at this Motel 6 on the Internet, as it was close to somewhere we wanted to go for breakfast the next morning. She won't make the same mistake (i.e., booking at this, or any, Motel 6) twice.

We check in around 6pm or so, I think, before we head out for dinner in nearby Old Town. She walks to the room (112), and I pull the car around back to the parking lot--only to be solicited by a hooker walking the property. (Uh, no thanks.) Besides the hooker, there were several other "interesting" characters loitering in the parking lot. I was sure to take my laptop, iPod, and anything else of value into the room, rather than leaving it in my car.

In the room, the carpet underneath, and in front of, the sink area is SOAKED. Not damp, but absolutely saturated, as if someone left a hose running on it. Of course, I just HAD to find that out by stepping in it while wearing socks, and wondering why my socks were increasingly taking on water. Disgusting and unsanitary. (And when I had checked in, the front desk person told the guy behind me that they were totally booked/sold out, and turned him away. So no chance of getting a different room.)

When my wife and I are leaving for dinner, the minute we walk out of our room, what do we see? The same hooker soliciting some construction workers (who were staying upstairs) right outside our door. I neither know nor care whether she had more success with them.

When we get back, my wife showers. And, after she dries off, what does she come to find out --- THE FREAKIN TOWEL WAS FILTHY DIRTY, and must have been hung back up before we came in (or just wasn't checked by the staff). And I mean dirty. There was visible, black dirt on the white towel (it just happened to be on the side facing the wall, so my poor wife didn't get to see it until AFTER she had dried off). Freakin disgusting! (And, knowing that I would blow up and want to immediately check out, she didn't tell/show me till the next morning, as she didn't want our one night away from the kids to be completely ruined.)

Lastly, when I go out later that night to get ice, there was ANOTHER PROSTITUTE prostitute patrolling the parking lot. (Don't people have Craigslist for that stuff now?) This was unreal, and VERY seedy. It was as if the hotel was hosting a "ladies of the night" convention.

So, be warned. If you're looking to hook up with a streetwalker in dirty motel room, then (based on my one experience) you may want to check out this Motel 6. Otherwise, spend the extra $30 or so for a more enjoyable stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank HoyaSaxa619

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Seminole, FL
Reviewed June 25, 2009

The only explanation I can find for the previous negative reviews are that the motel has been refurbished and they rated it before that happened,. Or possibly that the reviewers are confused, or they are malicious idiots. One reviewer said "good for the price" and then gave them a 3-star rating?!? Yes, it has to be cleam, no matter what you pay, but beyond that you HAVE to take price into consideration when you rate.

I literally moved out of 3 nights in a $475 executive suite at the Catamaran on Mission Bay into this Motel 6. I loved the Catamaran, but I cannot expect to get the same at the Motel 6 for $50. I stayed in the motel room closest to the office, right by the pool. It was clean, looked like it had been recently renovated. I slept well (because I always use earplugs), so I guess the bed was OK. The shower was fine, the carpet was fine, internet access at 3 bucks a day worked fine. And then you have a pool and free coffee in the morning. That is great value if you ask me.

I'll be curious to see what future reviewers have to say, because I will likely use this motel again and again.

I also note that Tripadvisor under 'describe this hotel's style" does not have a checkbox for "value".

This is the best Motel 6 I have every stayed in. I live in Florida, and there are tons of bad Motel ^'s south of the Mason-Dixon line.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Ontario, California
Reviewed December 11, 2008

Nothing great about this Motel 6. I frequently stay at Motel 6's and this by far the worst one that I have ever stayed at. Totally plain wrapped - room was supplied without basic necessities like tissue, towels, toilet paper (which is IMPORTANT!). When asked for these, was given an attitude by the front desk and then took forever to get them to me. Far walk to ice machines and parking (if staying in back building) and halls smelled like funk. Next time I go to SD, will stay at a different hotel at Hotel Circle, that's for sure.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else.....
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Motel6SDHotelCircle, General Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Hotel Circle- Mission Valley, responded to this review, March 8, 2009
I appreciate the time you took to let us know where we need to improve and we take your comments seriously. At Motel 6 in San Diego Hotel Circle, we credit our success as the largest motel chain with over 1000 location across the country, providing quality lodging at a fair price and by maintaining our high standards.

I apologized for inconvenience you experienced during the stay. I do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

Thank you again for your comments SoCalC8. We hope that you will give us another chance to serve you better.

Alex Tank GM

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I didn't find this place scary, but it was very downtrodden. The shower smelt of mould, there were interesting stains, the traffic noise from the nearby road was louder than the aircon and the staff were very unhelpful; one guy was told he had to take a cab to the nearest cigarette seller in Old Town, when there is a Crowne Plaza next door that sells them. There are also notices in every room telling you to lock your door from the inside at night in case of intruders, which probably didn't help the nervous types.

Once you find your way to the Crowne Plaza you can at least have breakfast, even if you don't smoke. Old Town is not too far away. But I wouldn't stay in this place again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank LuckyMermaid
Motel6SDHotelCircle, General Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Hotel Circle- Mission Valley, responded to this review, March 14, 2009

Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will give us another chance to serve you better.

Alex Tank GM
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Stayed here over Memorial Day weekend. Had a non-smoking room and the room still smelled like smoke. The hallway smelled like marijuana all night. I complained to the front desk and they did nothing.

The security guard also looked high himself...so good luck feeling safe.

Nothing was stolen from me like other reviews because I took *everything* with me when I'd leave.

Also, the free coffee in the morning is a sham. Don't get there at 9:05 a.m. - there won't be any coffee left. They'll tell you "They're making more" and to "come back at 9:30" and when you come back, they tell you "there's no coffee left".

A horrible stay..too many stoners and people who looked under 18 staying here. Find a better place in Hotel Circle next time.

• Liked — Close to Sea World
  • Disliked — Smelled like pot the whole time
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Roseville, Minnesota, USA
Reviewed May 8, 2008

Average Motel 6 as far as the room went. My only issue was the constant people coming and going all through the night. You get less than what you pay for at this location, but there weren't many other options in this price category in this city.

Stayed May 2004
Tucson
Reviewed February 1, 2008

First thing to remember...this is a motel 6. I think I read a review that it was in a scary neighborhood or something yet that person must have lived a sheltered life because there was no reason to fear for one's life in this area (except for maybe the 90mph traffic whizzing down the 8.

This motel 6 is located in the Hotel Circle and has roughly the same type of parking as all the rest of the hotels in the area even though it was definitely exponentially cheaper than all the others. The hotel circle is in a good location I think, you barely have travel something like 5 miles to get to either old town san diego, sea world, downtown san diego, mission beach and all that.

The only downside is the wireless internet. You have to purchase a card which gives you a password so you can log onto their network for 24 hours. The network connectivity was fine and the speed was adequate inside the room.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms could be bigger
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank daveyinaz