“The Best Party Venue Ever!”

Mission Valley Resort
Ranked #253 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 12, 2010

We just had a huge birthday party at the Mission Valley Resort in San Diego, CA. We rented the upstairs ballroom/party room venue for our big bash. The hotel services could not be beat. This was a 65th party with 65 people, a dj and a dance instructor (line dancing!). The hotel gave us the best possible "dance floor space" by adding flooring to the floor, thus giving us more room for our line dancing. They also set up the tables and decorated for me exactly the way I asked. In addition all lthe food was catered through the hotel itself. Everyone raved about the appetizers (barbecued meatballs & stuffed mushrooms) in addition to the fabulous food items on the buffet. The hotel wine was excellent. The staff did a great job in accomodating us in whatever I requested - for a great price! It is a convenient venue for everyone - right in the heart of the hotel district in San Diego. Thank you Anne Marie/Traci, Justin and everyone who took my calls and helped get me thru planning the best party ever and the best place to hold it!

Stayed: February 2009
2  Thank BronxgirlSanDiego_CA

Reviewed January 16, 2010

I would like to recommend Mission Valley Resort. My boyfriend and I stayed there last year and we had a very lovely vacation thanks to it. Luckily we found it in Easy Click Travel for a very fair price. It looked tempting but in reality it was much better :) I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank far0ut
Reviewed January 14, 2010

I did not like this hotel at all! we checked in and the first room was very dark and cramped. Had to many doors to enter the room and the bed was broken. After telling the front desk they argued that the bed was fine when it clearly wasn't. They reluctantly moved us to another room which was worse than the first! I felt very unsafe and will never stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2009

Gail,

Just wanted to send some feedback on a recent stay at Mission Valley Resort.

We were in San Diego on business, and from the pictures and everything that was advertised as included with the room, expected to have a normal, enjoyable, and successful stay in San Diego, as we should expect at Mission Valley Resort.

A few observations to report:
1) The room was messy when we first entered, and had more than a few solicitor's flyers inside on the floor.
2) The smoke detector was inoperable when we entered the room, due to a bad battery, and we listened to it beep. This was fixed the next day but we had to deal with it ourselves the first night.
3) Being on business, we expected to be able to use the free wifi service and connect to the internet during our stay. I was not successful in connecting to the service because I could find no wifi point that was being broadcast by Mission Valley Resort. I called to the desk for assistance, and got the impression the person at the desk neither knew what I needed nor cared to be of much help.

We got through 2 nights at Mission Valley Resort and decided to move elsewhere so we could get what we needed during our stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2009

Room was very small but clean. Had problems with TV asked to replace they DID NOT,
nice courtyard but chairs full of bird crap, asked to have them wiped off, THEY DID NOT
Restaurtant bad food, service good, in very busy area hard to get off freeway. Voiced my concerns about TV and chairs to manager seemed to care less did nothing. Much better values on strip to stay in for same price. Cleaning staff and convenience store staff helpful. Pool area lots of bird crap not clean did not use.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2009

I recently concluded a three day stay at the Mission Valley Resort and was pleasantly surprised. Undoubtedly, there are other hotels in San Diego that offer more plush and spacious accommodations but at substantially higher prices. But what really sets this place apart is its array of facilities. The restaurant's 60's coffee shop motif belies the well prepared and very fresh food. It's conference facilities are comfortable, varied and ably managed by very accommodating folks. Even the sports bar is better than one might expect. Access to a very comprehensive fitness center, two pools, golf and lots of shopping within walking distance....Now, on a limitless budget, given a choice I'll choose La Costa. But with a limited budget for a conference or vacation, I cannot imagine a better place than this.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I rate this room 2 ½ out of 5- Nothing really great about the room, but if you just need a place to sleep, nothing really bad. In looking back, I would say that this is more on an low budget extended stay hotel rather than a resort. The other reviews are right it isn't the Omni but neither is it quite a Hotel 6. Hotel tax is 12.5%. But 1.5% is for their marketing. Nice that you get to pay for thier lie.

We booked our room on the web site as a pre-paid 14 day advance purchase . We booked the SUPIERIER double bed, at 56.00 per night. We stayed in room 251. When we arrived - very tired from our drive - I was told that "somehow they had forgotten to charge my room to my credit card, but "don't worry ,I would pay the price I had been given" They were correct, I was - plus 3 charges at .50 ea for local phone to order take out. In this day and age, who practices this? (Especially if you are calling yourself a resort) The hotel offers FREE internet yet they charge for a local phone call?

The front desk staff was nice but not overly so. ( too busy talking to whomever was behind the wall) At least they were engaged n the conversation and did a good job telling us about the bus and the internet in the lobby. (you get 15 min.) This must be thier "Business Center" I wouldn't do any of my business 2 steps away from the check-in desk.

The maid came knocking on our door at 9 am and then she just let herself in when I didn’t immediately answer. Check out is not at 9. Unless a room has been checked out of there is no reason for maid service to just open my door. It would have been nice if the front desk staff would have said something or that there was some kind of notification in the room that a maid would be by that early. I exchanged our towels and asked for more coffee for the next day – she happily took care of my needs. But she did want to come in to clean – We were a 3 day stay, I don’t like people in my room while my things are there.

The room is fairly large, nicely appointed. The coffee pot is an actual pot with ceramic mugs not paper cups. That was nice. It made 4 cups. The hairdryer actually worked. They do have a safe and a nice size closet.

However, that's about it. The room shown on their webpage was not the room we were given, an unnecessary bait-and-switch. Attempts had been made to upgrade the room. Granite tops for the nightstand, desk and coffee area. Newly upholstered and appointed bed, beds were far from large. A full size is not large. The TV remote worked about half the time. Private balcony overlooking the 1940-1950’s style courtyard was nice, table and chairs were plastic with cigarette burn holes and definite rot on the boards – although they did try to paint over it. We had a spider crawl across us the first night in our bed. Lovely.

As to cleanliness: The items that touch a person’s skin were clean. However, the carpet edges had never seen a crevice tool, the edges in the bathroom the same. The walls in the bathroom had several hand prints and foot prints on the wall paper and the door trim was grimy. I am a previous rental unit manger so I wet down a washcloth just to see how easily it came off. Plain water did the trick so I attribute the issue to poor management of the cleaning staff. Obviously the rooms are not inspected after they are “cleaned”

The upkeep of the entire hotel inside and out shows decay and rot. The wallpaper has been patched instead of replaced, the vaulted ceiling has been painted white over dark wood, and is now cracked and coming off in large pieces. At night you can see where all the other patchwork has taken place.

They have a laundry, but the area is foul, both in upkeep and atmosphere. I didn’t feel safe down there. 3 washers and 3 dryers – cost is 2.00 per load there is not a bill changer so make sure you have quarters!! You will need to go to the convenience store/booze store (with that type of crowd) onsite and deal with their rudeness to purchase laundry soap.

The bathroom is dismally small and in bad repair. It is all inclusive. The sink is in with the tub and toilet, very little counter space. The sink cabinet is melamine and is peeling. They do have Sauve shampoo and conditioner for your use. The tub does not hold water, the massaging shower head had one setting (if you tried to change it fell apart in your hand) , the coupling to attach the shower to the wall is coming off. But the pressure and temp were good. There is a sweet tattered note taped to the wall that states that if you should wish to take their thread bare scratchy towels they will happily charge you ( on that note, there is a LARGE sign at check-in that states that they will hold funds on your card for up to 72 days, so beware)

This hotel is on Hotel Circle. There are SEVERAL other places to stay. I would recommend that you do. But as stated, make sure that you have a car. It's a pain.

The one saving grace to the “resort” is the on-site restaurant. (the other plus would have been the gas station, but it is closed – you will have to go up I-8 to find one close) Very Friendly staff in the restaurant, attentive servers. They have a great Breakfast special at 6.99 with several choices and the Blue Plate Special at 7.99 that starts at 11 am and goes until they close – there are other restaurants in the same area, all are in the other hotels.

I can’t rate the Bar or the Gym. We went to neither. But the Gym is up the hill and behind the hotel. It looks nice from below. They do have vending and Ice Machines. The pool is okay but much smaller than the one shown in the picture from the web. They do have a hot tub, my family told me that it was nice and warm, but after looking at the mediocre attempt at cleanliness in the room I opted out of the hot tub experience.

Oh yes, the noice level. From everywhere but our next door neighbors who kept slamming the balcony door - very quiet. The lot was far from full, so we didn'i understand why we had people on both sides of us.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family