“Extraordinary Value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #241 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Raanana
“Extraordinary Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2009

I recently concluded a three day stay at the Mission Valley Resort and was pleasantly surprised. Undoubtedly, there are other hotels in San Diego that offer more plush and spacious accommodations but at substantially higher prices. But what really sets this place apart is its array of facilities. The restaurant's 60's coffee shop motif belies the well prepared and very fresh food. It's conference facilities are comfortable, varied and ably managed by very accommodating folks. Even the sports bar is better than one might expect. Access to a very comprehensive fitness center, two pools, golf and lots of shopping within walking distance....Now, on a limitless budget, given a choice I'll choose La Costa. But with a limited budget for a conference or vacation, I cannot imagine a better place than this.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Turkish first
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2009

I rate this room 2 ½ out of 5- Nothing really great about the room, but if you just need a place to sleep, nothing really bad. In looking back, I would say that this is more on an low budget extended stay hotel rather than a resort. The other reviews are right it isn't the Omni but neither is it quite a Hotel 6. Hotel tax is 12.5%. But 1.5% is for their marketing. Nice that you get to pay for thier lie.

We booked our room on the web site as a pre-paid 14 day advance purchase . We booked the SUPIERIER double bed, at 56.00 per night. We stayed in room 251. When we arrived - very tired from our drive - I was told that "somehow they had forgotten to charge my room to my credit card, but "don't worry ,I would pay the price I had been given" They were correct, I was - plus 3 charges at .50 ea for local phone to order take out. In this day and age, who practices this? (Especially if you are calling yourself a resort) The hotel offers FREE internet yet they charge for a local phone call?

The front desk staff was nice but not overly so. ( too busy talking to whomever was behind the wall) At least they were engaged n the conversation and did a good job telling us about the bus and the internet in the lobby. (you get 15 min.) This must be thier "Business Center" I wouldn't do any of my business 2 steps away from the check-in desk.

The maid came knocking on our door at 9 am and then she just let herself in when I didn’t immediately answer. Check out is not at 9. Unless a room has been checked out of there is no reason for maid service to just open my door. It would have been nice if the front desk staff would have said something or that there was some kind of notification in the room that a maid would be by that early. I exchanged our towels and asked for more coffee for the next day – she happily took care of my needs. But she did want to come in to clean – We were a 3 day stay, I don’t like people in my room while my things are there.

The room is fairly large, nicely appointed. The coffee pot is an actual pot with ceramic mugs not paper cups. That was nice. It made 4 cups. The hairdryer actually worked. They do have a safe and a nice size closet.

However, that's about it. The room shown on their webpage was not the room we were given, an unnecessary bait-and-switch. Attempts had been made to upgrade the room. Granite tops for the nightstand, desk and coffee area. Newly upholstered and appointed bed, beds were far from large. A full size is not large. The TV remote worked about half the time. Private balcony overlooking the 1940-1950’s style courtyard was nice, table and chairs were plastic with cigarette burn holes and definite rot on the boards – although they did try to paint over it. We had a spider crawl across us the first night in our bed. Lovely.

As to cleanliness: The items that touch a person’s skin were clean. However, the carpet edges had never seen a crevice tool, the edges in the bathroom the same. The walls in the bathroom had several hand prints and foot prints on the wall paper and the door trim was grimy. I am a previous rental unit manger so I wet down a washcloth just to see how easily it came off. Plain water did the trick so I attribute the issue to poor management of the cleaning staff. Obviously the rooms are not inspected after they are “cleaned”

The upkeep of the entire hotel inside and out shows decay and rot. The wallpaper has been patched instead of replaced, the vaulted ceiling has been painted white over dark wood, and is now cracked and coming off in large pieces. At night you can see where all the other patchwork has taken place.

They have a laundry, but the area is foul, both in upkeep and atmosphere. I didn’t feel safe down there. 3 washers and 3 dryers – cost is 2.00 per load there is not a bill changer so make sure you have quarters!! You will need to go to the convenience store/booze store (with that type of crowd) onsite and deal with their rudeness to purchase laundry soap.

The bathroom is dismally small and in bad repair. It is all inclusive. The sink is in with the tub and toilet, very little counter space. The sink cabinet is melamine and is peeling. They do have Sauve shampoo and conditioner for your use. The tub does not hold water, the massaging shower head had one setting (if you tried to change it fell apart in your hand) , the coupling to attach the shower to the wall is coming off. But the pressure and temp were good. There is a sweet tattered note taped to the wall that states that if you should wish to take their thread bare scratchy towels they will happily charge you ( on that note, there is a LARGE sign at check-in that states that they will hold funds on your card for up to 72 days, so beware)

This hotel is on Hotel Circle. There are SEVERAL other places to stay. I would recommend that you do. But as stated, make sure that you have a car. It's a pain.

The one saving grace to the “resort” is the on-site restaurant. (the other plus would have been the gas station, but it is closed – you will have to go up I-8 to find one close) Very Friendly staff in the restaurant, attentive servers. They have a great Breakfast special at 6.99 with several choices and the Blue Plate Special at 7.99 that starts at 11 am and goes until they close – there are other restaurants in the same area, all are in the other hotels.

I can’t rate the Bar or the Gym. We went to neither. But the Gym is up the hill and behind the hotel. It looks nice from below. They do have vending and Ice Machines. The pool is okay but much smaller than the one shown in the picture from the web. They do have a hot tub, my family told me that it was nice and warm, but after looking at the mediocre attempt at cleanliness in the room I opted out of the hot tub experience.

Oh yes, the noice level. From everywhere but our next door neighbors who kept slamming the balcony door - very quiet. The lot was far from full, so we didn'i understand why we had people on both sides of us.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lanavictoria
Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2009

We specifically requested a non-smoking room. When we arrived at 10pm, we were given a room that reeked of tobacco. We were told that no other rooms were available, and that they could not guarantee a non-smoking room at any time. They sent up someone with a spray can to spray the room, which, of course, was worthless. This was our first and last visit.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2009

Went to San Diego for the Monday NIght football game with a friend and needed a room.....got a room at the Mission Valley Resort and was very pleasantly surprised. This resort reminds me of the 50's. Think of a Drive up Motel where you can park your car right at your room, but add the resort style and what should be really expensive is relatively inexpensive. Everything is there...fitness club, gas station, 24 hour restaurant, convenience store, right in the heart of Mission Valley, courtsey shuttle bus, lots of lush greenery and a very friendly staff. Our room was quaint...meaning not huge, but what I would consider an average size room, 2 good size beds, clean and comfortable. I would definently stay at this Resort style hotel again!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Indio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2009

With our group (Motor Cyclist) we usually have issues .....Noise , loud ,dont come back .We were invited back !! We always behave , Staff was wonderful from check in to check out . Food -Store -Dinner all right there (walking Distance ) . Nice Pool too. I was impressed.

• Stayed September 2009
Davison
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

The room was so bad we immediately checked out and found another hotel. Room was small, but the real problem was the black mold in the tub and walls of the bathroom. Very dated and in disrepair.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank sjloncari
Shanghai Region, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2009

To be honest, this place was exactly what we needed. We wanted to spend time outdoors, and we just needed a place to lay our head on the pillow, as we were catching a morning flight.

The grounds are beautiful! Expansive and green surrounding two pools. HOWEVER, the room was about as tight as you have ever experienced. We literally had to take turns turning around. There is just single file room to and from the bathroom. Even though there were two double beds, there is not room for three people. This is not a place to stay a week, just a quick night. in and out.

But the price was good and the girl at the front desk was sweet

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family