“review of mission valley resort in san diego”

Mission Valley Resort
Ranked #242 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Francisco, CA
“review of mission valley resort in san diego”
Reviewed August 30, 2005

the hotel has senor frog gym( full gym) accessible with your stay at the hotel it has a lap pool, you can take classes etc...I enjoyed that however the gym closes 7pm on weekends and 9pm weekdays. The hotel has its own pool and jazuzzi which is nice. the staff was pleasant. the hotel is right off the freeway and many hotels around the area. Only one real place to eat near hotel with american food. Other wise you have to drive. I went to old town which is about a 10 minute drive. Very close to old town. I was in the back of the motel and there are not double pain windows. I did hear the freeway. I am a light sleeper. the walls are thin as well. The room had a coffee maker and a nice size tv. No refrig. I got a great deal on the hotel. I went 12/04 and the rate was around $60 with tax.

3 Thank irishtea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 19, 2005

Here were the positive aspects
*Wonderful location
*Pretty landscaping and outdoor ammenities
*Friendly staff

Here were the negative aspects
*DIRTY, DAMP, very SMALL room
-Found hairs in the shower that were not mine
-Did not look as though the room had been vacuumed
-Difficult to move around in the room it was so small
*Internet did not work as promised
*Charged the wrong credit card despite clear instructions
*Television had poor reception
*Flickering lights
*Non-smoking room but it reeked of smoke
*The shower head seemed too low (I'm 5'2")

Out of all the hotels I've ever stayed at, this one was the worst. It is in a great location and I felt safe; however, I would not stay here ever again.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 27, 2005

Overall, it was pretty nice. The resaurant on the property had good food and great service. The front desk staff was very nice. There was a cute little bar off the lobby and very nice grounds. My favorite part, though, was the gym. With your room key you get access to a lovely gym for free. I am a regular exerciser and the use of the health club was a main reason for my stay. Probably the nicest gym I have ever worked out at.
SInce we took the train to San diego, my father and I were worried about transportation once at the hotel. Well, there were always cabs waiting in the parking lot, so this wasn't an issue.
Unfortunately, there is a downside. The rooms were pretty bad. The rooms had a musky damp feel and smell to them and were very small. The Bathroom was ok. The bed was comfortable enough. It just didn't feel clean. Although, it was not the hotel's fault, there was a family next door to my room who's children laughed, screamed and yelled until I banged on the wall at eleven thirty. I would recommend this hotel, because we did get a good deal on it and hotels in San Diego are soooo expensive. But I didn't expect such dank, dark rooms.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank grindergal
Reviewed July 19, 2005

Due to the price paid, and the word "resort" in it's name, I certainly expected much more. My daughter and I stayed, on vacation, for 3 nights. Where do I start?

The carpet and bedding was damp when we walked in. Contributed it to the humidity, which I thought they would have done something, anything, to keep the rooms from feeling "sticky". The room itself is as pictured, however, is about half the size it appears to be. The remote to the tv didn't work, and when asked about it and told it would be changed, well, lets say we had to get up and down to change channels/volume the entire time.

Maid service. Despite the "Privacy Please" sign, we were woken up at 7:30am by loud knocking from housekeeping. MAJOR no-no for me!

The bathroom. When we arrived, there was hair in the sink, the lotion, shampoo and soap had all been USED and not replaced! GROSS GROSS GROSS. We ended up going to the store and buying our own.

The major kicker - I paid for the room up front in cash, as well as a $150 security deposit, in cash. They turned around and charged my debit card the $150 deposit! When I realized I needed to get money from my ATM and discovered the "missing money", I asked the front desk if they charged my debit card. I got a very firm "No, we did not because you gave us cash". This was on Sunday. I couldn't call my bank until the next morning, which I did. Sure enough, they DID charge it AND take my cash. I had to fight with management in order to get them to release the hold at my bank so my daughter and I could return home!

The staff - Most were very courteous, however, very lacking in their knowledge of giving correct directions or even knowing where the nearest Starbucks was (it's in Fashion Valley Mall, across the freeway!). When asking about transportation, they were a bit clueless to everything but the Old Town Trolley and making a call to a scuzzy cab company.

The Restaurant and Liquor store - Saved the day! The store had soap, shampoo, every kind of first aid needed and tons of snacks. A bit pricey, but that's normal for a convenience store. The restaurant staff was wonderful, the food good but a little high priced for what you get. We found up the street a bit a place called Ricky's which we ate at the remainder of our time there. FABULOUS food, great service and prices you can't beat!

Overall..........find a Motel 6! Much cheaper and the rooms are just as clean and accomodating, if not more, than Mission Valley Resort. We will NEVER stay at this place again.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed June 13, 2005

I am not a picky person. But this place...oh, where to begin.

We booked the place despite some negative reviews on this site. Heck, there are negative reviews about our favourite hotel on this site, so we take it all with a shaker of salt. A mistake on my part.

First of all, the positives. The family restaurant, though most portions of the food served was inviting Coronary Artery Disease (however I find this a US phenomenon not limited to this restaurant), was open late, had good service, and reasonably priced. The Liquor store next door was fabulous, perfect for late-night munchies and of course, the liquor, which we needed substantial amounts to get us through our reservation period at this hotel. The pool - nice, clean, beautiful surroundings with giant rose bushes and floral gardens.

The fun stuff ends there folks. The room was dank, dark, the lights worked at varying intervals that could only be attributed to the lunar cycle, the carpet was dirty. It started out as an "OK" on the cleanliness factor, and deteriorated to "Disgusting" on the day we checked out. The bathtub did not drain - AT ALL. We left a comment about this on the "housekeeping comment card" which then proceeded to sit in the exact same table location we had left it on the first day. Of course, travelling with my mom and step-father - who is a hairy guy, if I may be so blunt - the tub and bathroom was filled with disgusting hair by the end of our trip. I hated taking a shower and didn't touch ANYTHING while I was in there. Oh yes, the supersonic toilet. I suppose this is a California water-saving thing, but the toilet had a button on top that you had to push to flush, and you had to pound on it to elicit any effect at all. When you pounded hard enough, the toilet flushed with such ferocity that I started hanging on to loose jewellry/hair/clothing lest I be sucked into the vortex never to be heard from again.

Service was adequate, but I felt sorry for the folks who worked there - it has to be damaging to the self-esteem to be forced to wear a neon hawaiian shirt to work every single day.

They also advertise the Trolley stops outside the front door. If the front door is Old Town State Park, which is a two mile drive away, they are correct.

Trust me, I am not a whiner. I have stayed in some grotty hotels. This is the second grottiest. The only reason the other hotel in my grotty category wins first prize is that it had bullet holes in the door and no towels. But you would expect that in Detroit :)

• Stayed April 2005
11 Thank LossOfConsciousness
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed June 13, 2005

Well, it's cheap anyway...

I have stayed here twice, in 2004. The first time they had apparently just changed from a Quality Inn, so perhaps the rough edges were due to the transition. Both times I booked via an internet service, just trying to find somewhere cheap.

This is a very basic two-story walkup type place. Rooms are standard motel room, but are generally in very good repair, perhaps recently renovated. Location is convenient for freeway access to attractions downtown. The 24-hour restaurant is adequate for the very hungry having just arrived in town. The 24-hour convenience store is a big bonus, you can stock up on snacks. No view, you're on Hotel Circle, i.e. the freeway.

The staff, however, have always been universally rude and unhelpful. Checking in takes forever, and the staff are not interested in room preferences, or indeed your very presence.

Basically, it's clean and ok if you want somewhere cheap and easy in the increasingly expensive SD market.

• Stayed December 2004
4 Thank JSurace
Reviewed May 14, 2005

Stayed here one weekend for a writers' conference. Upon my arrival, the staff was completely unhelpful and ignored me standing at the check-in counter while they talked to each other about the rugby team that was also staying in the hotel at the time.

I finally got to my room, which was on the second floor. I had several bags, but no one offered to help me carry them up even though it was 11 pm and very dark.

When I got to my room, the lights didn't work and I had to turn on the bathroom lights to even see. The room reeked of cigarette even though I had specifically requested nonsmoking, as I am allergic to cigarette smoke. I had also requested a room with two beds, as a friend was staying with me, and the room I got only had one kingsize bed.

I had also requested a room with internet access and had been assured that each and every room had internet access. When I set up my laptop in the dark and reeking room, I noticed that I had a very weak wireless internet signal and could not access the internet at all. I called the lobby and asked if there was a internet plug, and the man at the desk replied no. He suggested that if I needed to use the internet, I could go and sit by the pool, where the signal was stronger. Mind you, this was 11 pm at night and I was by myself. I was appalled by this suggestion and demanded a room with a better internet signal, as I had business I had to finish while on this trip.

I went to the lobby to get the keys to my new room and they were practically thrown at me by the concierge. I was told that the room I was being given was available for only one night even though I had booked my stay for two. I was moved to a room that was literally on the backside of the hotel overlooking a very unlit alley. I finally got inside only to discover that the lights flickered constantly and nothing I plugged in would stay in the electric sockets. However, I DID have internet access.

I heard constant thumping, slamming noises all night long, and other guests talking in the rooms around me, as the walls were extremely thin and had zero insulation. Basically in the morning I was so disgusted that I checked out and stayed the next night in the Doubletree Hotel right next door.

I will never again go to the Mission Valley Resort, as despite its fancy name, I felt like I was staying in a decrepit motel.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business