“Oldie but a goodie” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #241 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Newbury Park, California, United States
“Oldie but a goodie”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

My 19 yr old son and I recently stayed one night at this hotel. A few days before leaving I decided to read some review about the establishment. Quite a few of these reviews gave me anxiety about having chosen to stay here. I even went so far as to ask Monica at the front desk at check in whether there was anything to be done if I really didn’t like the room. I was informed that I could check out the room and if it was not satisfactory they would give me another. So we checked it out. I found the whole hotel to be rather old, but it was fine. I went through the room checking the bed linens for any bugs (none), the floor was fine, in the bathroom I checked to see that the toilet flushed and didn’t keep running (it was fine; checked the hot water in the tub (no problem); the tub bottom had surface cracks ( I just wore flip flops); there was only one bath towel ( I was able to ask for extra bath towels from one of the cleaning ladies, she was very happy to give me two more). I turned on the air conditioner and it worked fine. We didn’t want to leave it on so I opened a small window in the back and the screen had a quarter sized hole in it. (We chanced it, no mosquitoes would fly in.) The TV didn’t have a remote and the picture was rather hard to make out. The beds were very comfortable the pillows were fine. At night I closed the curtain and noticed that the backing had holes in it. In the morning we had a very hard time opening the door. (It had swollen overnight.) The next day we decided to use the pool and the closest one to our room was locked up. (Found out the chlorine levels were too high.) The other pool was very nice and there was a whirlpool. Both pool areas were very pretty. I loved the location and that they offered free parking (a luxury in “Hotel Circle" area). Over all I would stay at this hotel again. I can see that there have been repairs and updates to the place. However, I don’t think it would be for a “high maintenance” person, but it fit our needs just great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sclbfly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Turkish first
Salem, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

I've passed by this place several times the past 4 years since my son got stationed in San Diego. I always thought it looked interesting from the freeway, and I passed it often due that the timeshare I usually stay at is across 163 from this "resort." Unfortunately, due to security requirements we couldn't be informed of my son's ship's return date until it became difficult to impossible to book into my preferred accommodation. Having recently joined AARP, I used their services (Expedia powered) to book a room. The Mission Valley Resort was having a deal for AARP members, and it looked nice, I knew the area, so I booked a room. Well, as others have said, very poor conditions for such a business located in the Mission Valley area. I feel sorry for the staff, as they likely deal with a myriad of complaints on a daily basis. The only area that appears to be updated with normal and regular maintenance is the front desk, the lounge, and the pools. The staff are friendly enough, though like every group of people, you'll find some more helpful than others. I just hope some entrepreneur sees the potential of updating this hotel; which appears to have been a going concern in days gone by.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Henry M
Calagry
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Best thing I can say about the hotel is the location is decent but every other hotel in the area also has that. This place is run down and just not up to standard. Sure you might get a decent hotel price but you can get that at other hotels that offer breakfast or are nicer. Wouldn't take my wife here or my family. Seems like it was nice at one point 20 years ago but now needs some money. Room old and smelled like it. Bathroom was old, tub was ancient. Air conditioner had the cover broken off. Lamp was bent. Floor was dirty. Not worth it. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank CalagryJusthelping
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

My price was excellent because I made a 14-day advance reservation. The location is beautiful (landscaping; shrubbery; lots of palm trees) and it's right next to the I-8 freeway access and a bus stop. Shopping at Fashion Valley is only 5 minutes away. There's a nice restaurant on the premises (10% off for guests) and a store (similar to a "7-11") that stays open from 6 AM to midnight most days, later on weekends. There's a small laundry room and a 24/7 security patrol.

I ended up staying 12 nights to conclude business in San Diego, so I could see why some reviewers might have complaints. The TV died on my third day, but I got a replacement the next day. I had requested a small refrigerator ($10 for my whole stay) but didn't get one until day three. The Wi-Fi connection was spotty, but it got better when I moved my laptop to the middle of the room. The AC conked out after a week (but it's not really needed in San Diego in the fall anyway). Our key-cards got "demagnetized" a couple of times, but the front desk fixed them right away.

In summary: This motel is old and a bit run-down, but the staff were always friendly and helpful. The housekeepers kept the room clean. If you're only staying two or three nights you might be put off by small problems -- but if you stick with it, you will find Mission Valley Resort to be an excellent value.

Room Tip: This is a big complex with several buildings. Be specific if you want a room near one of the two poo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Irvine, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

This is a nice place to stay however if you are actually looking forward for a resort experience then this might not be the place. We booked it under 14 day advance policy and received a good deal. Quite reasonable with breakfast coupons. The food they serve in the restaurant is good value for money. Public transport is easily accessible from this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chweetpriya
Lake Villa, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

hotel was very dirty. stayed for 3 nights never did get a tv remote. complained to the manager, he really didnt seem to care. went to the cocktail lounge, bartender was more concered about going outside to smoke than to give you service, lounge was very dirty, dirty dishes on the table next to our table for hours. just a very bad experience here

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank brutus401
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

The Mission Valley Resort has very nice and many friendly employees, and the manager Jaime is really great and is always helpful, and accommodating.
We are very satisfied with everything about this hotel, it is close to just about anywhere you may want to go in San Diego.
The Mission Valley Resort has so many palm trees, many trees, beautiful landscaping, flowers and rose bushes.
The comfortable clean rooms are private and are located in a spacious large location, there is a laundry room, a convenient store that is always open late, the family style restaurant is very good, open daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, there is a clean workout gym, and the pool and jacuzzi are surrounded by the tropical landscaping and grounds.
The Mission Valley Resort is a Great Hotel and Always Offers Very Reasonable Rates!!!

• Stayed June 2013